Republicans introduced bill to defacto ban semi-auto rifles

If you feel you absolutely must talk about cars, morality, or anything else not related to the F-16, do it here.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 11 Oct 2017, 17:48

11 ‘‘(aa) It shall be unlawful for any person—
12 ‘‘(1) in or affecting interstate or foreign com-
13 merce, to manufacture, possess, or transfer any part
14 or combination of parts that is designed and func-
15 tions to increase the rate of fire of a semiautomatic
16 rifle but does not convert the semiautomatic rifle
17 into a machinegun; or
18 ‘‘(2) to manufacture, possess, or transfer any
19 such part or combination of parts that have been
20 shipped or transported in interstate or foreign com-
21 merce.’’.
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 11 Oct 2017, 17:58

How so? It bans thing like bump-stocks which allow a semi auto rifle to function in a similar manner to a full auto rifle. By your own posts line 15 "increase the rate of fire of a semiautomatic". What is the RoF for a semi auto rifle with one pull of the trigger? 1.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 11 Oct 2017, 18:07

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:How so? It bans thing like bump-stocks which allow a semi auto rifle to function in a similar manner to a full auto rifle. By your own posts line 15 "increase the rate of fire of a semiautomatic". What is the RoF for a semi auto rifle with one pull of the trigger? 1.

There is no mention of bump stocks or stocks there is a mention of everything-- there is instead a broadly written "Any part or combination of parts" that's any feature of a semi auto. Light trigger, buffer, springs, anything that aids the cycling of the weapon.

Anything that aids in reloading or keeping the rifle loaded could also be included. Magazines etc

Im not a lawyer but "any part that increases the rate of fire" I take to mean anything that increases the rate of fire. Not even full. Not even a stock. Any part that increases rate of fire. So anything short of full auto as they say is game

Note it doesn't say parts that convert it to like full auto. It says any parts that increase the rate of fire of a semi auto rifle. That can be a low mass bolt, as the bolt returns to battery quicker.

You see my point?
Last edited by XanderCrews on 11 Oct 2017, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 11 Oct 2017, 18:17

XanderCrews wrote:Im not a lawyer but "any part that increases the rate of fire" I take to mean anything that increases the rate of fire. Not even full. Not even a stock. Any part that increases rate of fire. So anything short of full auto as they say is game

I hear your argument, but I say again the RoF for a Semi is 1.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 11 Oct 2017, 18:21

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:
XanderCrews wrote:Im not a lawyer but "any part that increases the rate of fire" I take to mean anything that increases the rate of fire. Not even full. Not even a stock. Any part that increases rate of fire. So anything short of full auto as they say is game

Indeed and that semi can be made to cycle faster. If I have a semi that fires 50 rounds per trigger pull in a single minute and I put a gizmo on it that increases that to 51 rounds per trigger pull in a single minute I have increased the rate of fire of a semi auto rifle.

There is no grandfathering included either.
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 11 Oct 2017, 19:02

XanderCrews wrote:
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:

Indeed and that semi can be made to cycle faster. If I have a semi that fires 50 rounds per trigger pull in a single minute and I put a gizmo on it that increases that to 51 rounds per trigger pull in a single minute I have increased the rate of fire of a semi auto rifle.

There is no grandfathering included either.

Okay I see where our disconnect is. The loose phrasing of RoF in the legislation. It does not specify as "how many rounds are fired in a period of time if the trigger is squeezed and held for said period of time", which is where I am saying it is 1, so you are saying it could be interpreted as "How many rounds can a person fire in said period of time with no regard to number of times the trigger is pulled". Does that sound about right?
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 11 Oct 2017, 20:04

So no more cranks either.

Same goes for the latest pull-n-release triggers too.

Funny.... I can "finger" my AR pretty darn fast with a stock trigger.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 11 Oct 2017, 20:21

SpudmanWP wrote:So no more cranks either.

Same goes for the latest pull-n-release triggers too.

Funny.... I can "finger" my AR pretty darn fast with a stock trigger.

That's where the full ban comes in. When this goes through and they are after your full auto trigger finger.

"We are going to ban anything that makes a semi auto fire quick"

Ok watch this *fires 10 rounds rapid fire from a stock AR*

"Oh that's too fast. That's circumventing the law"

Option 1. Here are the cuffs call your lawyer
Option 2. New Jersey style where you have to rack the AR after every shot = ban of semi auto rifles.
Last edited by XanderCrews on 11 Oct 2017, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 11 Oct 2017, 20:26

Okay I see where our disconnect is. The loose phrasing of RoF in the legislation. It does not specify as "how many rounds are fired in a period of time if the trigger is squeezed and held for said period of time", which is where I am saying it is 1, so you are saying it could be interpreted as "How many rounds can a person fire in said period of time with no regard to number of times the trigger is pulled". Does that sound about right?

Correct and since the only standard is an increase in ROF and it specifies semi and not "increase to full or near full etc" as I read it, it's anything that can put rounds down range at a faster rate. Nothing about trigger squeeze, trigger reset, trigger weight, or amount of trigger pulls. If it makes the gun go "bang" more often then when you bought it, it's done. That's how I read it. The bump stock blurred the line, this seeks to eliminate the blur but it's a slippery slope and there is no end in sight in my mind at least.

We all know it's illegal to make semi to full auto but this is now regulating the rate for even semi and it's completely arbitrary. I understand a lot of gun laws are. But I can at least measure a 16" barrel. They are now trying to measure how many single shots In a row is "too many." And the answer is any? Is that from when it's made? If I make my own rifle did I Increase the rate of fire? Or is it illegal for me to even have a lightweight trigger in the first place before I installed it? Oh No wait I can't manufacture anything that could "increase" increase from what?? The rate of fire for a semi auto.

Like you say per trigger squeeze. Yet that's irrelevant since rate of fire is the bugaboo
Choose Crews

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 12 Oct 2017, 03:49

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 12 Oct 2017, 06:12

XanderCrews wrote:

Correct and since the only standard is an increase in ROF and it specifies semi and not "increase to full or near full etc" as I read it, it's anything that can put rounds down range at a faster rate. Nothing about trigger squeeze, trigger reset, trigger weight, or amount of trigger pulls. If it makes the gun go "bang" more often then when you bought it, it's done. That's how I read it. The bump stock blurred the line, this seeks to eliminate the blur but it's a slippery slope and there is no end in sight in my mind at least.

We all know it's illegal to make semi to full auto but this is now regulating the rate for even semi and it's completely arbitrary. I understand a lot of gun laws are. But I can at least measure a 16" barrel. They are now trying to measure how many single shots In a row is "too many." And the answer is any? Is that from when it's made? If I make my own rifle did I Increase the rate of fire? Or is it illegal for me to even have a lightweight trigger in the first place before I installed it? Oh No wait I can't manufacture anything that could "increase" increase from what?? The rate of fire for a semi auto.

Like you say per trigger squeeze. Yet that's irrelevant since rate of fire is the bugaboo

....having looked at a "bump stock" last week in a gun store, it would be rather easy to make one for "water hose" shooting of an AR!
:)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 12 Oct 2017, 15:55

XanderCrews wrote:Option 2. New Jersey style where you have to rack the AR after every shot = ban of semi auto rifles.

Pump-action AR

"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 15 Oct 2017, 00:56

Its called a "slippery slope"

you give politicians an inch and they'll try and take a yard...

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 15 Oct 2017, 15:54

If you give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 16 Oct 2017, 04:49

charlielima223 wrote:Its called a "slippery slope"

you give politicians an inch and they'll try and take a yard...

And they'll hire federal law enforcement officers like this clown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHEOSyMqug

Next