Top Gun 2 - Maverick

If you feel you absolutely must talk about cars, morality, or anything else not related to the F-16, do it here.
Banned

by zero-one » 18 Dec 2019, 14:41

Looking at it again,

yeah it looks like they sped up the shot.

The vibration of the camera plane suddenly became more pronounced once the AB lit.
Last edited by zero-one on 18 Dec 2019, 14:48, edited 2 times in total.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 18 Dec 2019, 14:44

zero-one wrote:I don't know.
Why would they need to enhance a behind the scenes shot. One that even has the camera plane in view.

I mean, sure they can do that, but I just don't see the point.

You’re gonna have to trust me on this. Having done accel comparisons in several aircraft against almost everything in the western inventory, I can tell you that it doesn’t look like that...

Closest you might come to that visual would be standing in the catwalk next to a cat shot aboard a CVN — at night.
Last edited by quicksilver on 18 Dec 2019, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Banned

by zero-one » 18 Dec 2019, 14:47

yup I edited my comment. I looked at the clouds right next to the camera plane, once the AB lit, the camera plane jerked un naturally. Thanks.

Hmmm is there an aircraft that can realistically do that?
Clean Viper, Eagle? Maybe a Raptor at down low.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 18 Dec 2019, 14:53

zero-one wrote:yup I edited my comment. I looked at the clouds right next to the camera plane, once the AB lit, the camera plane jerked un naturally. Thanks.

Hmmm is there an aircraft that can realistically do that?
Clean Viper, Eagle? Maybe a Raptor at down low.

Yes. The Millenium Falcon.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 18 Dec 2019, 15:15

“The vibration of the camera plane suddenly became more pronounced once the AB lit.“

Shack. Great catch and analysis. :thumb:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 18 Dec 2019, 17:32

rowbeartoe wrote:Looks like the SR-72 at the end. At least what people believe is the look of the SR-72. Anyhow- I'm surprised the Navy didn't try to promote the F-35B/C in the movie. The Final Countdown is my favorite Navy movie and it showed all the new toys with the Nimitz Carrier and F-14 Tomcat. No models in that movie. Top Gun of course is a great movie to recruit even though it has little to nothing to do with what Top Gun is really about. This movie should be good a promoting again. We need more fighter pilots. :)

Well regarding the "SR-72" maybe they were inspired by "information" such as this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_SR-72

In the wikipedia link above I found the following paragraph to be very interesting regarding the subject:

In November 2013, construction of an optionally-piloted scaled demonstrator was planned to start in 2018. The demonstrator was to be about 60 ft (18 m) long, about the size of a Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor, and powered by one full-scale engine to fly for several minutes at Mach 6.

That surely looks like what Maverick will be "flying" in this Top Gun 2 movie.

Regarding the F-35 or more precisely not including it in the movie, maybe it's the "two-seater factor" that some have been talking about.
Or perhaps (or together with the point above) this is a sort of a "Top Gun tradition" of not including the most recent and advanced fighter aircraft of the Navy inventory. Let's look at the first movie which is from 1986. What was the most recent and advanced US Navy fighter aircraft back then?
No it wasn't the F-14, it was the F/A-18A Hornet. And like the F-35C, the F/A-18A was introduced in the USN quite recently before the movie's debut (2 years before) and like the F/A-18A in the first movie, apparently the F-35C won't be introduced in the second movie (which is still odd when we look at that "SR-72").
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 19 Dec 2019, 05:01

This Typhoon gif shows what one of the best accelerators looks like when lighting the burner and climbing

p.s. this movie will give the often maligned Super Hornet much needed publicity and love.

Banned

by zero-one » 19 Dec 2019, 08:31

okay can I say it now.
Topgun Maverick is doing the impossible. making the Rhino look sexy.

Some odd 30 years from now when the last Rhino retires. People are gona remember it with the same if not more fondness than the Tomcat. Remember this movie ia coming out in the social media age. The cultural impact will be much larger than the 1st film.

Banned

by zero-one » 19 Dec 2019, 08:38

marsavian wrote:This Typhoon gif shows what one of the best accelerators looks

Hold my beer
Attachments
SmartSelect_20191219-152008_YouTube.gif
SmartSelect_20191219-152008_YouTube.gif (3.15 MiB) Viewed 20849 times

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 19 Dec 2019, 11:01

OMG. Gents, have you never been to an airshow? Do any of the performances look like the Typhoon video? :whistle:

Really?? Do you believe there is actually some kind of warp drive saved for ‘special’ videos to be posted on the interweb?

:roll:

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 19 Dec 2019, 11:27

This is what 0-300+ looks like — https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Fuel

A clean F-16 w a big motor (one of the quickest jets in the world) takes roughly 16 seconds to accel about 200 knots at 15K feet. Go watch a clean F-15, F-16, Typhoon, MiG-29, Rafale, F-35, F-22 or others takeoff at a show (like RIAT or Paris) and then watch the SH... It’s a terrifically versatile and effective strike fighter; but, comparatively speaking, acceleration is not one of its long suits. Movie hype does not change that.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by loke » 21 Dec 2019, 19:23

Members of Congress were well on their way to passing a vote Wednesday that would make President Donald Trump just the third president in U.S. history to be impeached when the embattled leader, speaking to a crowd full of ardent supporters in Battle Creek, Michigan, took a detour from his talking points.

No, not to dive into a scathing critique of the impeachment proceedings, but rather to discuss the exciting capabilities of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter and the aesthetically pleasing qualities of the aircraft’s pilots.

“We have the F-35s — it’s stealth — and I was at one of the areas where they’re displaying it and I went up to the pilots and, honestly, they’re better looking than Tom Cruise,” the president said.

“Good movie,” he added, likely referencing “Top Gun,” which has a sequel hitting theaters next summer. “Good guy, too, by the way.”

There were other matters to discuss, of course, but the president’s enthusiasm for the stunning looks of F-35 pilots was just scratching the surface.

“The face is equal, maybe slightly better.”

Gaze upon the face of Narcissus. But what about those bodies?

“The body’s bigger and stronger,” he said.

The auditorium’s temperature suddenly began to rise. A fog settled on the glasses of those seated in the first few rows.

"They can definitely fight. They’re the real deal. These guys are so good looking. I said ‘You could be a movie star, go to Hollywood.’ [They responded] ‘No sir, I like what I’m doing.’

“You’ve got to see them,” Trump continued. “Just like central casting.”

https://www.armytimes.com/off-duty/mili ... er-bodies/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 22 Dec 2019, 04:38

POTUS hitting on fighter jocks. LOL
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 22 Dec 2019, 05:56

popcorn wrote:POTUS hitting on fighter jocks. LOL

He always seems to find a way to insult somebody. Regardless, what side they maybe on........... :doh:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Dec 2019, 01:50

Corsair1963 wrote:
popcorn wrote:POTUS hitting on fighter jocks. LOL

He always seems to find a way to insult somebody. Regardless, what side they maybe on........... :doh:

It was more.like he wanted to go out on a date with them. :mrgreen:
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

PreviousNext