Conversion from the A-7D/K started in 1991 when the 195th FS started to receive many older block 1, 5 and 10 airframes from other USAF units. The mission of the unit was to train combat-ready pilots for the Air National Guard (Replacement Training Unit or RTU). This mission remained after the conversion, but the older airframes were not quite suited to fulfill this mission. However, this transition was quite short-lived since the squadron had to disperse its airframes already a year later. It became a strictly academic squadron with no aircraft assigned at the time.
During the same period the ANG started with training foreign non-NATO pilots. Six aircraft from the 148th FTS were designated to begin a school for those students. This group of aircraft and an initial cadre of instructors formed what would later become IMT (International Military Training). The squadron had no official number or designation.
USAF F-16C block 25 #84-1284
from the 195th FS is seen armed with live AIM-120s & AIM-9M deploys the speed brakes in preparation for landing at Davis-Monthan AFB
on August 20th, 2010 after a sortie in support of Operation Noble Eagle. [Photo by James O'Rear]
In 1995 the ANG Staff decided to transfer this school into the 195th TFTS. Thus the squadron regained its aircraft and started flying again. This time these airframes were all block 15 models, giving the squadron a better opportunity in its task.
In 2006 the squadron started converting to block 25 airframes. As one of the last block 15 airframe squadrons within the ANG and the USAF all together, it was decided to mothball the latter completely. Therefore the squadron started receiving newer block 25 airframes that were becoming available from other squadrons, as the 144th FW, 944th FW and 177th FW. The mission of the squadron stayed exactly the same, just being able to perform in a more modern manner with the added capabilities of the block 25 airframes.