September 9, 2009 (by Asif Shamim) - The Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has notified Congress of a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Morocco for F-16 C/D Block 50/52 aircraft support equipment and weapons.
The Government of Morocco
has requested a possible sale of the following:
- 40 LAU-129A Launchers
- 20 AGM-65D Maverick Missiles
- 4 AGM-65D MAVERICK Training Missiles
- 4 AGM-65H MAVERICK Training Missiles
- 60 Enhanced GBU-12 PAVEWAY II Kits
- 28 M61 20mm Vulcan Cannons
- 28 AN/ARC-238 Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radios with HAVEQUICK I/II or SATURN I/II.
- 1 Ground Based Simulator
- 40 LAU-118A missile rails
- 6 AN/AAQ-33 SNIPER Targeting Pods with Ground Station
- 16 Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation (ACMI) Pods
- 4 ACMI Ground Stations
- 8 Joint Mission Planning Systems
- 2 Remote Operated Video Enhanced Receivers
- 30 AN/ALR-93 Radar Warning Receivers
- 30 AN/AVS-9 Night Vision Goggles
Additional items include containers, bomb components, support equipment, repair and return, spares and repair parts, publications and technical documentation, personnel training and training equipment, U.S. Government and contractor technical, engineering, and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistics support. The estimated cost of this package is $187 million.
The proposed sale will allow the Moroccan Air Force to modernize its aging fighter inventory, thereby enabling Morocco to support both its own air defense needs and coalition operations. Morocco is a Major Non-NATO
ally. The proposed sale of this weapon system will not alter the basic military balance in the region.
The principal contractors will be:
- Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company Fort Worth
- Raytheon Missile Systems Tucson, Arizona
- L3 Communications Arlington, Texas
- Advanced Night Vision System Inc. North Salt Lake, Utah
- Marvin Industries Inglewood, California
- Pratt & Whitney East Hartford, Connecticut
- Goodrich ISR Systems Danbury, Connecticut
- BAE Advanced Systems Greenland, New York
- Boeing Corporation Seattle, Washington
- Boeing Integrated Defense Systems St Lewis, Mo.
- Boeing IDS Long Beach, California
- Boeing IDS San Diego, California
- Raytheon Company Lexington, Massachusetts
- Raytheon Company Goleta, California
- Lockheed Martin Missile and Fire Control Dallas, Texas
- Northrop-Grumman Electro-Optical Systems Garland, Texas
- Northrop-Grumman Electronic Systems Baltimore, Md.
Implementation of this sale will not require the assignment of any additional U.S. Government personnel or contractor representatives to Morocco.