India and the F-35?

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation

by sunstersun » 14 Feb 2018, 17:22

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 246_1.html

Capability jump: IAF looks to buy fifth-generation F-35 fighter

It is learnt the IAF wants to procure 126 of the variant called F-35A - the air force version of the fighter that incorporates "conventional take-off and landing"
Ajai Shukla | New Delhi
Last Updated at February 14, 2018 20:40 IST

Business Standard learns the IAF top brass is formally requesting for a classified briefing by the F-35’s prime builder, Lockheed Martin, on the capabilities of the sophisticated, fifth-generation fighter developed under the US Joint Strike Fighter programme.
The US government has not formally offered the F-35 to India. A classified briefing would require formal clearance from the US Department of Defence (the Pentagon) and the State Department. The grant of such a clearance would be an important first step towards permitting the sale of F-35s to India.
It is learnt the IAF wants to procure 126 of the variant called F-35A – the air force version of the fighter that incorporates “conventional take-off and landing”, or CTOL. Another variant, the F-35B, incorporating “short take-off and vertical landing”, or (STOVL), has been developed for the US Marine Corps. A third version, developed for the US Navy, incorporates “catapult assisted take-off but arrested recovery (CATOBAR).

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by tsl256 » 14 Feb 2018, 18:42

sunstersun wrote:<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/capability-jump-iaf-looks-to-buy-fifth-generation-f-35-fighter-118021401246_1.html</span>

Capability jump: IAF looks to buy fifth-generation F-35 fighter

It is learnt the IAF wants to procure 126 of the variant called F-35A - the air force version of the fighter that incorporates "conventional take-off and landing"
Ajai Shukla | New Delhi
Last Updated at February 14, 2018 20:40 IST

Business Standard learns the IAF top brass is formally requesting for a classified briefing by the F-35’s prime builder, Lockheed Martin, on the capabilities of the sophisticated, fifth-generation fighter developed under the US Joint Strike Fighter programme.
The US government has not formally offered the F-35 to India. A classified briefing would require formal clearance from the US Department of Defence (the Pentagon) and the State Department. The grant of such a clearance would be an important first step towards permitting the sale of F-35s to India.
It is learnt the IAF wants to procure 126 of the variant called F-35A – the air force version of the fighter that incorporates “conventional take-off and landing”, or CTOL. Another variant, the F-35B, incorporating “short take-off and vertical landing”, or (STOVL), has been developed for the US Marine Corps. A third version, developed for the US Navy, incorporates “catapult assisted take-off but arrested recovery (CATOBAR).

Smart move by India, 126 F-35s would serve as an excellent counterweight against China's growing 5 gen fleet, however I don't see a deal like this going through any time soon due to India's close ties with Russia.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 14 Feb 2018, 20:42

It (the F-35) is really their only option. This speaks volumes about what the future holds for the SU-57.

I'm going to make a prediction and say India will be allowed to buy it. I know that's a long shot, but surely there are safeguards insofar as the tech falling into the wrong hands? We're exporting it all over the world. Cripes, I'd say Turkey worries me more than the Indians. There is some precedent for doing business with US aircraft makers - the C-17. And I think some helicopters as well. Granted, the F-35 is a big jump but this could be the beginning of something big: India buys from us from now on.

If we could set them up with 120+ and bring them more in line with our interests, might be a great big counter-weight to the Chinese in the SCS. I'd say the risk they pull an Iran/F-14 on is is minimal..

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 14 Feb 2018, 20:47

That's cray cray. Seems like only yesterday they were looking for 126 of another fighter which shall remain nameless.

Rassault Dafale
Choose Crews

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by skyward » 14 Feb 2018, 20:56

There is a more likelihood that Canada getting the F 35 then the India. India is all talk right now and no plans at all for anything.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 14 Feb 2018, 21:04

There is another recent article stating LM has denied offering the good stuff to India:

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 456_1.html

Then in the OP article above: http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 246_1.html
"...The Indian Navy, which has never ruled out operating the F-35 off Indian aircraft carriers, has received a briefing on the F-35 as far back as 2010, Lockheed Martin official Orville Prins told this correspondent.... [SHIRLEY that brief is still relevant today (with some caveats about whatever problems way back then)]

...The F-35’s affordability is also attractive for New Delhi. In contrast to the bare-bones price of $115 million for each Rafale fighter (with India-specific enhancements, spares, logistics and weapons all extra), the F-35A cost customers $94.6 million last February. Lockheed Martin says it will reduce the cost to $80 million by 2020...

...While the US has supplied the F-35 only to close allies, Washington insiders say India’s recent designation as a Major Defence Partner (MDP), and a groundswell of goodwill towards New Delhi, make conditions propitious for an Indian request. An indicator is the recent permission granted for the sale to India of the Sea Guardian unmanned aerial vehicle – so far sold only to close allies.

In 2011, the influential US Senate Armed Services Committee requested the Pentagon to study the feasibility of an F-35 sale to India. Senators John Cornyn (co-chair of the Senate India Caucus) and Joseph Lieberman spearheaded the proposal...."

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 15 Feb 2018, 00:51

Well that's kind of the way the wind has been blowing due to their discomfort with Su-57 stealth and price and the emergence of the J-20 on their border. I suspect it will be sold to them to counter China and Pakistan and they will end up buying hundreds in the end to replace everything except the Su-30 and Rafale.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 15 Feb 2018, 02:36

Honestly, I see no major issue with the US selling India the F-35. Yet, I don't see them offering ToT or license production....(at this stage)

Location: Home of nuclear submarines, engines, and that's about it.

by white_lightning35 » 15 Feb 2018, 03:55

Hey guys I got a great idea!! Let's throw in a few b-21's with the f-35 deal to India as well!!1! I mean, why not!!!? It's not like the f-35 is supposed to be the best the US gov has or anything, or that exporting the f-35 willy-nilly would ever have negative consequences, right?!! I mean, Turkey's already gonna have it, so why not India or anyone else who can afford it? PLUS now Pakistan will want it, or else Uncle Sam would betraying them to India. Tbh, I think the US should just send a few f-35's directly to the Chinese and Russians to save India, Turkey and co. the trouble. What a genius plan! What could possiby go wrong?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 15 Feb 2018, 04:54

white_lightning35 wrote:Hey guys I got a great idea!! Let's throw in a few b-21's with the f-35 deal to India as well!!1! I mean, why not!!!? It's not like the f-35 is supposed to be the best the US gov has or anything, or that exporting the f-35 willy-nilly would ever have negative consequences, right?!! I mean, Turkey's already gonna have it, so why not India or anyone else who can afford it? PLUS now Pakistan will want it, or else Uncle Sam would betraying them to India. Tbh, I think the US should just send a few f-35's directly to the Chinese and Russians to save India, Turkey and co. the trouble. What a genius plan! What could possiby go wrong?

The said the same thing about selling F-15's to the Saudi's back in the day.....

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by hythelday » 15 Feb 2018, 09:01

Indian stronkism websites aren't a reliable source!

Case the point:
http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 288_1.html

"100s" of Avengers turned out to be 22 unarmed Predators.

Such publications serve several purpises:
1) Stronkism ( hahaha, Pakistan, go beg China for more handouts; US is OFFERING us top tech!)
2) Leverage (over Dassault, UAC, SAAB)
3) Clicks

That being said, we have F-35/India discusssion going on in at least 4 different threads. Maybe it is just me, but starting another thread (based on BS article, no less) seems excessive.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 15 Feb 2018, 09:12

Tell us about your credibility then? Multiple threads on the same topic are a specialization of this forum doncha know.

by sunstersun » 16 Feb 2018, 02:39

https://thediplomat.com/2018/02/report- ... -briefing/

confidently say that guy was spilling the beans early.

India is officially on track.

Location: Home of nuclear submarines, engines, and that's about it.

by white_lightning35 » 16 Feb 2018, 03:01

What the absolute f##k? Am I just blind to seeing how this would be a good deal? Would this all be just to try to buddy up to India? Are the few extra sales just that important? I sincerely hope this is just clickbait journalism running amok.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 16 Feb 2018, 03:13

white_lightning35 wrote:What the absolute f##k? Am I just blind to seeing how this would be a good deal? Would this all be just to try to buddy up to India? Are the few extra sales just that important? I sincerely hope this is just clickbait journalism running amok.

Look at this in the context of the US working toward achieving a closer strategic relationship with the world's largest democracy. The considerations implications for trade, security cooperation. geopolitics, etc. that factor in any relationship between nation states are far more expansive than "a few extra sales" that would be generated by selling F-35s to India.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Next