Pressure increases on [Canada] to stay or leave F-35 program

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 27 Nov 2020, 15:55

luke_sandoz wrote:Everyone can have an opinion, even people who are better at photography

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74xfpYAoTWc

The comments... forgot how youtube is still the worst place on the internet for comments LOL

mostly gripen people whining he didn't say enough about it. and one guy who keeps insisting Canada can only pick the SH since only it has 2 engines.

JSF has always had 1 engine. Canada has been in JSF since 1997. I have a pretty low opinion of Canadians, but I'm pretty sure even they can count to "one." :mrgreen:
Choose Crews

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by luke_sandoz » 28 Nov 2020, 20:41

XanderCrews wrote:
luke_sandoz wrote:Everyone can have an opinion, even people who are better at photography

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74xfpYAoTWc

The comments... forgot how youtube is still the worst place on the internet for comments LOL

mostly gripen people whining he didn't say enough about it. and one guy who keeps insisting Canada can only pick the SH since only it has 2 engines.

JSF has always had 1 engine. Canada has been in JSF since 1997. I have a pretty low opinion of Canadians, but I'm pretty sure even they can count to "one." :mrgreen:

Ya, quite the discussion thread.

There are a couple of voices of sanity in the sea of Gripen fan boys.

by juretrn » 29 Nov 2020, 00:39

Gripen has its place, but that place is not in a direct comparison to the F-35.
Russia stronk

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by durahawk » 29 Nov 2020, 02:35

luke_sandoz wrote:There are a couple of voices of sanity in the sea of Gripen fan boys.

Precious few, I am afraid. Honestly, this shouldn't even be a debate. Even in a strict NORAD Air Defense Role, the Gripen will be absolutely murdered by SU-57's and PL-15 carrying J-20's. This "stealth is only for invading other countries" nonsense only serves to highlight those who have no clue what they are talking about.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 29 Nov 2020, 03:36

XanderCrews wrote:I have a pretty low opinion of Canadians, but I'm pretty sure even they can count to "one." :mrgreen:

Hey, hey, hey, please calm down a bit. Don't count us Canadians as being "the same" (or having the same opinion for that matter).
And note that I'm not here to push for all that Political Correctness BS because I'm pretty sure that there are even more Americans claiming that the F-35 is a crap and all the bla, bla bla... speech around it, which is 'normal' since the US has more population than Canada but even in terms of percentage of the population, I would be willing to bet that there's a chance that there's more Americans "against the F-35" than Canadians themselves.
The diference is that in Canada there's was this moron (Trudeau Jr.) that got himself elected as Prime Minister and got lucky to be elected a second time (despite having lost the popular vote) or else this 'F-35 and Canada' would be a no-issue!
Anyway and if I remember correctly your soon to be past president (Trump) 'vowed' to buy "just as stealthy Super Hornets from Boeing instead F-35s", which was among the most idiotic and moron speeches that I ever read anywhere (and last time I checked Trump is American and not Canadian).

In the end the main diference between the US and Canada regarding the F-35 is that it's build in the US or else it would likely be already canceled by the US while in this same case, Canada is "still on the limbo" regarding this (but more towards buying the F-35, it seems). So I would say that there's probably more reasons for a lower opinion on "Americans" compared to Canadian. :wink:
(but please note that I don't have a low opinion on Americans)
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 29 Nov 2020, 03:40

luke_sandoz wrote:Ya, quite the discussion thread.

There are a couple of voices of sanity in the sea of Gripen fan boys.

Speaking of the 'sea of Gripen' reminded my the Sea Gripen. In this context, I can hardly wait for the Space Gripen :mrgreen:

durahawk wrote:Precious few, I am afraid. Honestly, this shouldn't even be a debate. Even in a strict NORAD Air Defense Role, the Gripen will be absolutely murdered by SU-57's and PL-15 carrying J-20's. This "stealth is only for invading other countries" nonsense only serves to highlight those who have no clue what they are talking about.

DITTO!
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by alloycowboy » 29 Nov 2020, 16:56

Israel to sell surplus F-16s to Canadian company for $100 million

Defense Ministry is in negotiations to sell 29 used planes to simulate enemy forces in a deal set to be the largest sale of Israeli Air Force surplus yet.

https://m.calcalistech.com/Article.aspx?guid=3877557

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by element1loop » 30 Nov 2020, 04:09

I'm waiting for the time-warp Gripen, as it can win before it fights ... and I can see why they'd want that.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 30 Nov 2020, 17:50

Canadian defense minister talks fighter competition and geopolitics
30 Nov 2020 Aaron Mehta

"WASHINGTON — When the Trudeau government took office in 2015, one of the first appointments was tapping Harjit Sajjan, a combat veteran who served in Afghanistan, as Canada’s minister of national defense. Sajjan is now one of the lonest-serving ministers of defense in Canadian history. He recently talked with Defense News about the country’s long-awaited fighter jet procurement, as well as the nation’s future on the world stage. The interview has been edited for clarity and length.

Question: Regarding the fighter competition, the plan is to either downselect to two jets in 2021, or make a final decision in 2022. Where does that decision stand? How has the coronavirus pandemic impacted the timing and size of the program?
Answer:
I’m very happy with the progress of the selection for our next fighter. And it’s gone to a very good stage where we actually have three companies. I don’t know exactly — because the team there that does the analysis is independent — which direction they’ll go, of downselecting or how that’s going to happen. So we’ll see how the progress moves ahead.

I can turn to your direct question regarding COVID-19. We initially, obviously, just like anybody, had some minor delays because we had to shift a lot of the resources to the pandemic fight. But we were able to shift our people back into dealing with our procurement very quickly because, as you know, defense is an essential service, and making sure that those jobs continue was very important to us. So the delays were actually very minor. And all the updates that I’ve reviewed so far [shows] that things are actually progressing extremely well.... [lots more at the jump but not relevant]

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/global/the- ... opolitics/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 30 Nov 2020, 18:26

alloycowboy wrote:Israel to sell surplus F-16s to Canadian company for $100 million

Defense Ministry is in negotiations to sell 29 used planes to simulate enemy forces in a deal set to be the largest sale of Israeli Air Force surplus yet.

Surely this is a mistake? Are these twin engine F-16s?? :)

Gripen E/NG is prove positive that you take 3 lies and tell them repeatedly and they will plant themselves and grow into "truths"

(Top 3 gripen E lies: cheap to buy. cheap to operate. Just as good as X)

Reality:

Gripen E is not in service
Gripen E has an unknown operator's cost
Gripen E has an unknowable lifetime cost
Gripen E is having production problems = Gripen E costs will be increasing
Gripen E has failed to meet its sales metrics for years running and it's funny that with F-35 that would mean a "death spiral" but for Gripen its magically the same coat whether they sell 1 or 1000
Gripen E has 1 export sale
Gripen E by everyone's own admission is not meant to meet or exceed competitors. But to get close enough at a lower price point and sweet benefits

Gripen E. A magical fighter
Choose Crews

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by alloycowboy » 30 Nov 2020, 20:33

XanderCrews wrote:
alloycowboy wrote:Israel to sell surplus F-16s to Canadian company for $100 million

Surely this is a mistake? Are these twin engine F-16s?? :)

Gripen E/NG is prove positive that you take 3 lies and tell them repeatedly and they will plant themselves and grow into "truths"

(Top 3 gripen E lies: cheap to buy. cheap to operate. Just as good as X)

Reality:

Gripen E is not in service
Gripen E has an unknown operator's cost
Gripen E has an unknowable lifetime cost
Gripen E is having production problems = Gripen E costs will be increasing
Gripen E has failed to meet its sales metrics for years running and it's funny that with F-35 that would mean a "death spiral" but for Gripen its magically the same coat whether they sell 1 or 1000
Gripen E has 1 export sale
Gripen E by everyone's own admission is not meant to meet or exceed competitors. But to get close enough at a lower price point and sweet benefits

Gripen E. A magical fighter

@XanderCrews... The plan is to use the F-16's as red air aggressors in air to air training over the Primrose Lake Air Weapons Range.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFB_Cold_Lake

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 30 Nov 2020, 21:54

XanderCrews wrote:Gripen E has 1 export sale

Well, technically the Gripen E has zero (0) export sales since that 'sole export' (Brazil) is actually a program partner and not a 'typical' export/foreign sale. :wink:

by go4long » 16 Dec 2020, 02:27

according to the experts on BF4C (lead by Peter Goon) the Gripen will also be able to power a pod to provide a similar video stream to what the F-35 did in the X-58 test...with the number of pods they're planning to have on the Gripen E to match what an F-35 can do, plus the fuel it'll need to do it, I don't think there will be any hard points left for weapons.

That group makes my head hurt. I just can't wrap my head around how no matter what reason someone gives, their answer is just always the gripen is going to do it better.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 16 Dec 2020, 02:41

ricnunes wrote:
XanderCrews wrote:Gripen E has 1 export sale

Well, technically the Gripen E has zero (0) export sales since that 'sole export' (Brazil) is actually a program partner and not a 'typical' export/foreign sale. :wink:

That is splitting hairs.....

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 16 Dec 2020, 03:57

What will be funny is how they will have to de-equip those planes to make it something the Canadians can cope.

PreviousNext