First F-35 AMRAAM Release.

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 02 Dec 2020, 18:09

Did the F-35 fire AIM-120D? :roll: (The text is difficult to understand.)
thedrive.com/the-war-zone affirmatively writing that the F-35 fired the AIM-120D, but I can't judge. :?
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... ral-cruise
https://www.acc.af.mil/News/Article-Dis ... h-us-navy/
83rd FWS executes joint WSEP with U.S. Navy
53rd Weapons Evaluation Group / Published July 27, 2020
EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. --
The 83rd Fighter Weapons Squadron and executed “Weapons Systems Evaluations Program East 20.09” from May 27 to June 12, 2020 with participants from the 53rd Wing, 325th Fighter Wing, 33rd Fighter Wing, and the U.S. Navy’s Carrier Air Wing Two.
“This event improved readiness of CVW-2 in preparation for real world tasking, support of Operational Test objectives, and gathered critical F-35A/C weapons employment data,” said Col Nicholas Reed, commander, 53d Weapons evaluation Group. “I couldn’t be prouder of the innovation and resilience of Team WEG that led to this operational success, especially under the conditions imposed from the COVID-19 pandemic.”
In all, 83rd Fighter Weapons Squadron and other 53d Weapons Evaluation Group squadrons facilitated the firing of 26 air-to-air missiles during this event. Some of the more significant shots included three AIM-120D Software Improvement Program, the DoDs newest operational air-to-air missile, seven missiles from the F-35A/C, and one missile from an EA-18G. These weapon firings provided valuable data and feedback to CAF and Fleet warfighters and informed strategic weapons allocation and movement decisions.
The Navy expressed gratitude for helping accomplish this essential event.
“The Navy is complete!” said Capt. Matthew Thrasher, commander, Carrier Air Wing Two. “Thank you all very much for the herculean effort you and your teams provided CVW-2. With your world class support, we were able to complete 15/15 OFRP – Readiness required shots over the last 2 weeks. It’s not lost on me the challenges that you all were willing to overcome to make this happen.”
CVW-2 is a U.S. Navy Air Wing based in NAS Lemoore, CA and NAS Whidbey Island, WA which includes F/A-18E/F, F-35C, and EA-18G aircraft. CVW-2’s participation in WSEP East 20.09 was a Mission Essential event to prepare them for their real-world deployment next year in support of Geographic Combatant Commander taskings. WSEP East 20.09 planning included senior leader coordination to facilitate execution due to mission essential status.
In addition to assisting CVW-2 in preparation for their deployment, the 83rd Fighter Weapons Squadron supported execution of operational test shots gathering important data, enabling integrated tactical advantage, and assisting in shaping the future fight. Some of these weapons included employment of air-to-ground rockets in support of Air Combat Command’s test priority list.

On the other hand, CincoHamilton says the F-35 launched the AIM-120D in 2017. :roll:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGc4dZAhwIF/
cincohamilton
October 2020
The video shows this mission which was the culmination of years of weapon development and integration. It was the "graduation mission" for the AIM-120D missile on the F-35. After years of ensuring the weapon could be safely flown and fired from the aircraft we had a number of missions where we had to ensure the weapon could hit the target -- weapon accuracy. After numerous weapons accuracy missions this was the final one. Near-simultaneous launch of two missiles at two targets. I can't share what made it so difficult, but it was a humongous challenge that the F-35 proved it could handle. It was also the only test mission I've flown (over 200) where success and total failure came down to ~2 sec. I cherish the first picture. It was taken after the successful mission. The aircraft in the foreground was the spare shooter for the mission (if my missiles failed he was there to execute the mission). But, it was also one of my oldest friends...having grown up in the same small mountain town, going to middle school together, being on the same basketball team when we were 12, and going to college together (University of Colorado). It just so happened we ended up as F-35 test pilots...which is rare since there are very few test pilots and only a handful of F-35 test pilots. The second picture is us in front of the F-35.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 15 Dec 2020, 15:01

After all, the F-35 seems to have Fired the AIM-120D in 2017. 8)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIRWx-ABZN8/
cincohamilton
December 2, 2020
This was a weapons accuracy AIM-120D mission from August 2017. Once again, great photos from our aerial Photog team (@chad.bellay / @darin.k.russell) who sat in the backseat of an F-16D off the wing of AF-6...the shooter aircraft.
F-35A AF-6 fire AIM-120D.jpg

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jessmo112 » 15 Dec 2020, 20:14

Have all versions fired it now?
Has the BEE fired it?

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 15 Dec 2020, 20:45

jessmo112 wrote:Have all versions fired it now?
Has the BEE fired it?

Yes. All versions have fired AIM-120D and AIM-9X.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by charlielima223 » 16 Dec 2020, 00:51

Question: does the AMRAAM fall out of the weapons bay or is it "punched out" like on the F-22?

A lot of test footage looks to me like they are dropped.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articl ... 27%29.html
The F-22 AMRAAM integration design incorporates an extremely rapid launch-to-eject cycle during which the main weapons bay doors are opened and closed while the trapeze-like LAU-142 launcher, produced by EDO Corp., ejects AMRAAM into the air stream. This entire sequence is nearly instantaneous, protecting the Raptor's stealth characteristics while engaging the threat.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 16 Dec 2020, 01:35

First F-35A AIM-120 Missile Launch June 2013 ZOOM Crop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1VFBUWkOoY

Attachments
F-35missileEjectTest.png

by boogieman » 16 Dec 2020, 14:25

Out of interest, anyone know where the D model gets its extra range from vs the 120-C? AFAIK it uses the same motor as the C-7 so where's the extra juice coming from? Benefits of GPS link?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 16 Dec 2020, 15:19

Higher loft alone can do it.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 16 Dec 2020, 15:42

sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:Higher loft alone can do it.

I think that is the reason, but I think that is achieved by having highly accurate INS+GPS guidance and two-way data link. Basically the missile can tell the launching aicraft where it is all the time and so the flight profile has more freedom than without it. Hence the loft profile can be better optimized in all situations.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 16 Dec 2020, 16:13

hornetfinn wrote:I think that is the reason, but I think that is achieved by having highly accurate INS+GPS guidance and two-way data link. Basically the missile can tell the launching aicraft where it is all the time and so the flight profile has more freedom than without it. Hence the loft profile can be better optimized in all situations.

Agreed. The loft is what enables the longer range. The improved guidance and coms is what allows such a high loft.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

by boogieman » 16 Dec 2020, 22:53

Right. It would be interesting to see how this plays out at different altitudes and speeds, especially as far as NEZ is concerned.

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 16 Dec 2020, 22:58

boogieman wrote:Right. It would be interesting to see how this plays out at different altitudes and speeds, especially as far as NEZ is concerned.

The improved kinematics combined with optimized navigation greatly increases the NEZ over earlier variants.

by boogieman » 17 Dec 2020, 01:34

Forgive my possible obtuseness, but what do you mean by improved kinematics? I mean AFAIK it is the same fundamental airframe as the AIM120C, with the same motor. Aside from improved navigation, what other specific improvements could be contributing here?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by element1loop » 17 Dec 2020, 02:07

boogieman wrote:Forgive my possible obtuseness, but what do you mean by improved kinematics? I mean AFAIK it is the same fundamental airframe as the AIM120C, with the same motor. Aside from improved navigation, what other specific improvements could be contributing here?

Expanded flight envelope. Higher speed and altitude at engine burnout carries mass/energy further, due lower parasitic drag level from higher-altitude flight for longer. Same NET drag of course, just spread out over a longer period.

Wiki Topic wrote:"Kinematics is a subfield of physics, developed in classical mechanics, that describes the motion of points, bodies, and systems of bodies without considering the forces that cause them to move. Kinematics, as a field of study, is often referred to as the "geometry of motion" and is occasionally seen as a branch of mathematics."

AIM-120D has more optimal "geometry of motion", i.e. improved kinematics.

Obtuse enough? :)
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

by boogieman » 17 Dec 2020, 03:09

element1loop wrote:Expanded flight envelope

Produced by what though? Better navigation/flight profiling due to the GPS + 2 way datalink? I'm guessing that must be it.

Not an expert on these things but my DCS hobby has led me to take an interest in how various missiles are modelled. To EDs credit they do go to great lengths to base everything on solid data. The surprise to me was that lofting seems to achieve very little below about 30k feet due to the drag - you really need to be up high to see a benefit. That said I suppose ~FL40 is where the F35 would be lobbing these from so it should be set.

PreviousNext