337 Mira ( HAF)
" Ghost (Fantasma)"
||337 Mira " Ghost (Fantasma)" ( HAF)|
|Version:||F-16C/D block 52|
|Badge:||A white ghost carrying two red missiles.|
337 Mira was the last squadron to receive the new block 52 version of the Fighting Falcon from the Peace Xenia III order. In an effort to replace all vintage fighters from the Greek inventory, the government decided to place an order for up to 60 new F-16 aircraft. They are intended to replace the aging F-4, F-5 and A-7 aircraft in the Hellenic Air Force. However, the order was not sufficient to replace all those types at once, so it was decided to replace one squadron of each so enough spare aircraft would remain to retain the existing fleet for some years to come.
337 Mira was an F-4E Phantom II unit (one of the last F-4 squadrons) that was assigned to switch aircraft types. This finally happened in 2006, with the squadron becoming operational again in 2007.
Aircraft Markings History
The tail sports the Greek flag in the center with the serial below it.
- 1948: Activation of the squadron in Elefsis
- 1948: 'Spitfire' Mk. IX
- 1952: F-84G 'Thunderjet' (part of 110CW, Lárissa)
- 1956: F-84G 'Thunderjet' (part of 112CW, Elefsis)
- 1959: F-84G 'Thunderjet' (part of 115CW, Soúda)
- 1960: F-86D 'Sabre' (part of 112CW, Elefsis)
- 1967: F-5A 'Freedom Fighter' (part of 111CW, Néa Anghialos)
- 1978: F-4E 'Phantom II' (part of 117CW, Andravida)
- 1978: F-4E 'Phantom II' (part of 110CW, Lárissa)
- 2006: F-16C/D 'Fighting Falcon'