Brig. Gen. Paul R. Dordal is the deputy director of operations and training, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He assists the director in every aspect of Air Force current operations and operations training.
The general was commissioned following graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1971. He is a command pilot with more than 3,700 flying hours, primarily in F-4, F-16 and A-10 fighter aircraft. A graduate of the F-4 Fighter Instructor Weapons Course, he was an instructor in the F-16 Division and surface attack department chief in the USAF Fighter Weapons School. He has commanded an F-16 squadron, operations group, the College of Aerospace Doctrine, Research and Education at Air University, 23rd Wing "Flying Tigers," 43rd Airlift Wing and 51st Fighter Wing. He also has served in the Joint Staff's Operations Division and as the secretary of the Air Force's military assistant.
- 1971 Bachelor of science degree in mechanics of engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- 1976 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
- 1981 Air Command and Staff College
- 1986 Master of science degree in information systems, Golden Gate University, San Francisco, Calif.
- 1990 Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
- 1991 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
- 1995 Program for Senior Officials in National Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
- 1. August 1971 - June 1972, student, pilot training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
- 2. June 1972 - May 1973, student, F-4 training, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
- 3. June 1973 - May 1975, F-4D aircraft commander, 92nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force Bentwaters, England
- 4. June 1975 - December 1975, F-4E aircraft commander, 421st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
- 5. December 1975 - June 1976, F-4E instructor pilot, 3rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Clark Air Base, Philippines
- 6. September 1976 - May 1977, F-4D instructor pilot, 421st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
- 7. June 1977 - September 1977, student, F-4 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
- 8. September 1977 - April 1979, F-4D squadron and wing weapons officer, 388th Tactical Fighter Wing, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
- 9. May 1979 - September 1980, F-16 weapons officer, 16th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Hill Air Force Base, Utah
- 10. October 1980 - November 1981, F-16 project officer, 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
- 11. December 1981 - July 1985, instructor, F-16 Division, and chief, surface attack department, USAF Fighter Weapons School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
- 12. July 1985 - December 1986, weapons and tactics program manager, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
- 13. January 1987 - July 1989, F-16C operations officer and commander, 10th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hahn Air Base, West Germany
- 14. August 1989 - May 1990, student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
- 15. June 1990 - July 1992, staff officer, Joint Operations Division, J-3, the Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- 16. July 1992 - September 1993, commander, 347th Operations Group, Moody Air Force Base, Ga. (July 1993 - September 1993, commander, 4404th Operations Group [Provisional], Dhahran Air Base, Saudi Arabia)
- 17. October 1993 - July 1994, commander, College of Aerospace Doctrine, Research and Education, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
- 18. July 1994 - January 1996, military assistant to the secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- 19. January 1996 - May 1997, commander, 23rd Wing, later, commander, 43rd Airlift Wing, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
- 20. May 1997 - September 1998, commander, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, South Korea
- 21. September 1998 - May 1999, vice commander, 7th Air Force and U.S. Air Forces Korea, and chief of staff, Combined Republic of Korea and U.S. Air Component Command, Osan Air Base, South Korea
- 22. June 1999 - present, deputy director of operations and training, Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,700
Aircraft flown: F-4C/D/E, F-16A/B/C/D, A/OA-10 and C-130E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Legion of Merit
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
- National Defense Service Medal with service star
- Southwest Asia Service Medal
Flying Training Award, Undergraduate Pilot Training
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 6, 1971
First Lieutenant Dec 9, 1972
Captain Jun 9, 1975
Major Mar 1, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 1986
Colonel Dec 1, 1991
Brigadier General Apr 1, 1997