Turkish Air Force to train Italian Viper drivers

Discussions about F-16.net news articles. A topic is created automatically whenever someone posts a comment in the F-16 News section.
  • Author

Lieven

F-16.net Webmaster

F-16.net Webmaster

Unread post21 Dec 2005, 18:32

Related to the article <a href="news_article1530.html">Turkish Air Force to train Italian Viper drivers</a>:

As part of an agreement between Turkish Air Forces and Italian Air Forces, four Italian pilots have completed their training on F-16 jets in Turkey and received their diplomas yesterday, December 20th.

The Italian pilots went through a training that lasted 54 days.

Otto

Unread post01 Jan 2006, 19:42

Any info on what this training involved - preliminary, A/A, A/G,etc? And are the Italians satisfied with that?

psycho

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post09 Feb 2006, 22:43

That was a conversion training to F16, which includes both A/A and A/G in addition to basic maneuver training.

Otto

Unread post25 Feb 2006, 20:00

Psycho,

I've read an article about the subject on the Turkish Defence and Aviation magazine. The program was mainly about A/A training as the Italian Air Force has acquired the Vipers for A/A capability, which they lack during the transition period to Eurofighters. Not directly related to the subject but I've also learned that Turkey was offered to be the fifth full partner in the Eurofighter program by the Eurofighter Consortium with the eligibility to access source codes, take part in the modification programs and manufacture its own aircrafts. It'll be an interesting contest between the Eurofighter and the F-35 to be the next generation fighter in the TuAF - or maybe both.

dimitris6705

Unread post01 Jun 2006, 06:35

Did they do any traning flight over Aegean? into international area over Crete or any other Greek island?
:D

tailgunner

Unread post01 Jun 2006, 20:56

dimitris6705 wrote:Did they do any traning flight over Aegean? into international area over Crete or any other Greek island?
:D

Yes I believe so. If Greeks messed around while Italians being trained ..I wont be suprised if this area will be the Italians one of the most preferred playground :) :cheers:

tailgunner

Unread post01 Jun 2006, 21:04

Otto wrote:Psycho,

I've read an article about the subject on the Turkish Defence and Aviation magazine. The program was mainly about A/A training as the Italian Air Force has acquired the Vipers for A/A capability, which they lack during the transition period to Eurofighters. Not directly related to the subject but I've also learned that Turkey was offered to be the fifth full partner in the Eurofighter program by the Eurofighter Consortium with the eligibility to access source codes, take part in the modification programs and manufacture its own aircrafts. It'll be an interesting contest between the Eurofighter and the F-35 to be the next generation fighter in the TuAF - or maybe both.

I would have a question about the embedded avionics software.

To which extent it is possible for extensive F-16 user countys to reverse engineer the embedded software.

I d be also interested to know on which platform (OS, processor etc.. ) the embedded software is deployed on the warplanes.

Thanks

Otto

Unread post05 Jun 2006, 11:19

I d be also interested to know on which platform (OS, processor etc.. ) the embedded software is deployed on the warplanes.

tailgunner, a question I cannot answer I'm afraid :(
only thing I know is that I use a PIC16 micro-processor for my 6 ft blimp, which is in fact "trying" to fly indoors with my own source code :D
Also no info on which extent the Eurofighter consortium offered source code accession for the TAI/TuAF.
Got to google around for that if any info available...
dimitris, Italians used the Konya range as far as I know, but I agree with tailgunner, they'd be delighted to fly over Aegean along with their Greek brothers, huh :P

mbg

Unread post05 Jun 2006, 15:00

tailgunner wrote:

Hi tailgunner,

I have been interested in this question too, though I know it is a sensitive subject. Not interested in digging out the details, but just the basics. Here's what I have on the processor:

"Senior Trend's [the F-117 junior] original avionics package was oriented around 3 Delco M362 F computers with 32k words of 16-bit core memory, as used in the F-16."

However, my source goes on saying that the F-117s Delco's were replaced with more capable IBM AP-102 MIL-STD-1750A computers in 1984. Perhaps the same can be said for the F-16C/D versions.

Source: Combat Legend, F-117 Nighthawk by Paul Crickmore, pp 85-87.

As for the programming language, I am tempted to say that they use ADA, the military's language. However, it doesn't look like ADA was around back in the early 70s when the F-16 was conceived.

Thats all that I know.

mbg

Return to F-16 News