Blue stripes on weapons

This particular forum is for everything related to F-16 Armament, fuel tanks, and other stores.
  • Author

ThunderGrunt

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post29 Sep 2005, 19:01

If an AIM-120 Amrram has blue stripes its a dummy, and if it has the brown/rust color it's live right?

Sorry but I'm still a newbie and I see more blue striped in all the pics than brown.

aokeeffe

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post29 Sep 2005, 19:38

ThunderGrunt wrote:If an AIM-120 Amrram has blue stripes its a dummy, and if it has the brown/rust color it's live right?

Sorry but I'm still a newbie and I see more blue striped in all the pics than brown.

yes. and its AMRAAM not AMRRAM

ThunderGrunt

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post29 Sep 2005, 19:49

Thanks

Boman

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post29 Sep 2005, 20:05

The missiles carrying brown and yellow stripes are live ones, blue striped are dummies, wether 120`s or others.

I believe the yellow line indicates the warhead, while the brown indicates the engine part, but I`m not 100% on this.

aokeeffe

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post30 Sep 2005, 01:27

Boman wrote:The missiles carrying brown and yellow stripes are live ones, blue striped are dummies, wether 120`s or others.

I believe the yellow line indicates the warhead, while the brown indicates the engine part, but I`m not 100% on this.

that's correct. This is because the rocket motor and the warhear are of course a different type of explosive.

Yellow= High Explosive WH
Brown= low explosive

see http://www.ordnance.org/ammunition_identification.htm

FoxFour

Unread post01 Oct 2005, 14:40

Boman wrote:The missiles carrying brown and yellow stripes are live ones, blue striped are dummies, wether 120`s or others.

Boman - just to "confuse" matters a little, there are dummy missiles with yellow/brown stripes on 'em!

I have the book "Air Combat Command" by Randy Jolly, and the section on the 20th FW shows the Vipers loaded with AIM-9s with yellow/brown stripes (and even the green/red safe/arm key panel), but they're obviously dummies - the AIM-9s have clean tail fins without any rollerons on them. These are the devices on the aft corners of the fins that provide roll stabilization to the missile in flight - all real/live AIM-9s have them.
Even the HARMs in the photo feature had yellow/brown stripes but were captive too - from the rear you can see a blank panel where the motor exhaust should be.

Now I don't know the reason why captives would be marked as "live", but to venture a guess, it's that for a photo shoot, having the jets loaded for bear with "live" weapons looks a lot more impressive than with just dummy weapons! :D

Guysmiley

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post01 Oct 2005, 17:43

That link aokeeffe provided listed bronze as (1) Identifies Dummy/Drill/Inert ammunition used for handling and loading training. And depending on the film/video quality I could see mistaking bronze for brown maybe.

Rocky_LC

Unread post01 Oct 2005, 22:01

Bronze Ammo Bands are not flightworthy.

This class of Ammo could probably be uplaoded for some sort of static demo / dog and pony show thing....

Rocky

FlightTestJim

Unread post02 Oct 2005, 03:31

The bands also reflect different explosive sections of the missile. The rocket motor is typically brown banded if live, blue if inert. There is also the warhead, which would be yellow for HE (high-explosive). When we used to fly the AGM-69A SRAM, it would often have a brown-banded rocket motor (2000 pounds of two-stage motor) and blue bands on the warhead section (do a little research, and you'll soon know why we flew with the INERT warhead on the SRAMs).

Guysmiley

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post02 Oct 2005, 06:25

LOL, probably a few less kilotons of pucker factor with blue stripes on those...

Return to F-16 Armament & Stores