First F-16V flight

Discussions about F-16.net news articles. A topic is created automatically whenever someone posts a comment in the F-16 News section.
  • Author

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Oct 2015, 06:59

Lockheed Martin successfully completed the maiden flight of the F-16V, the latest and most advanced F-16 on the market today. The October 16 flight marks the first time an F-16 has flown with Northrop Grumman’s advanced APG-83 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Scalable Agile Beam Radar (SABR), which will deliver a quantum leap in capability for the venerable F-16.

The F-16V, an option for both new production F-16s and F-16 upgrades, is the next generation configuration that leverages a common worldwide sustainment infrastructure and provides significant capability improvements to the world’s most affordable, combat-proven multi-role fighter.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/p ... light.html

marco9

Banned

Unread post22 Oct 2015, 10:05

Nice to see upgrade packages for existing stuff rather than requirement for new production runs...

falcon502

Unread post23 Oct 2015, 04:18

I am very happy to hear about this news,
because this viper is our country jet (ROCAF 6601).
But I am curious if the APG-83 is the downgraded version of APG-80.
anyone know about this ?

thanks

geforcerfx

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post23 Oct 2015, 05:18

falcon502 wrote:I am very happy to hear about this news,
because this viper is our country jet (ROCAF 6601).
But I am curious if the APG-83 is the downgraded version of APG-80.
anyone know about this ?

thanks

Prob a (slight) upgrade using tech from the APG-81.

One way Northrop Grumman provides such affordable AESA fire control radar solutions is through the porting of software that has already established proven performance in the most challenging of combat scenarios. Using this ported software, SABR flew side-by-side with the APG-81 in matching Northrop Grumman flight test aircraft and produced exceptional results, further documenting its proven performance.

http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabili ... fault.aspx

basher54321

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post23 Oct 2015, 16:40

geforcerfx wrote:Prob a (slight) upgrade using tech from the APG-81.

Quote from the NG datasheet:

Approximately 95 percent of SABR’s mode suite comes directly from the F-35’s AN/APG-81 AESA radar
When Obi Wan logged onto Twitter: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious"

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Oct 2015, 17:01

Be careful how you take that. 95% of SABR coming from APG-81 does NOT mean that 95% of APG-81 went to SABR.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

lookieloo

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post25 Oct 2015, 00:03

geforcerfx wrote:
Lockheed Martin successfully completed the maiden flight of the F-16V, the latest and most advanced F-16 on the market today. The October 16 flight marks the first time an F-16 has flown with Northrop Grumman’s advanced APG-83 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Scalable Agile Beam Radar (SABR), which will deliver a quantum leap in capability for the venerable F-16.

The F-16V, an option for both new production F-16s and F-16 upgrades, is the next generation configuration that leverages a common worldwide sustainment infrastructure and provides significant capability improvements to the world’s most affordable, combat-proven multi-role fighter.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/p ... light.html
Wish we could afford a few top-end new-builds to replace/supplement some of our deteriorating air-superiority fleet. The concept of a light-gray Viper community intrigues me.

SnakeHandler

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post25 Oct 2015, 11:43

All I want is the SABR, CFTs and the dual missile rail option the Hornets have but I want it on stations 3, 4, 6, and 7.

viperforce

Unread post26 Oct 2015, 07:57

SnakeHandler wrote:All I want is the SABR, CFTs and the dual missile rail option the Hornets have but I want it on stations 3, 4, 6, and 7.

Hi, I wanted to say that the F-16V concept sounds cool on paper and think it would be a bonus for the USAF even, if it could afford such a rich jet, but I don't think USAF has the funds to do substantial upgrades.

USAF has limited budget to work with as times are tough and an F-16 fleet upgrade would take a substantial investment. Truly, the jet works fine as it is and will be fine for probably another 10-20 years.

I think USAF is putting all her budget into the F-35 development plan now, which is the unquestioned future for decades to come. The F-16 is the past. Hence, SABR and CFT are things of the past. F-35 is all you will need. Keep faith.

Return to F-16 News