Romanian pilots fly solo on F-16

Discussions about F-16.net news articles. A topic is created automatically whenever someone posts a comment in the F-16 News section.
  • Author

beam_rider

Unread post28 Nov 2014, 21:11

After a long time of preparations, on 30 Sept 2014 the first Romanian pilots headed to Monte Real airbase in Portugal and began the training for the transition on the F-16 MLU. After almost two months of academics, simulation training and flight on the F-16 two seater, the pilots were ready for their first solo flights. On 26 November, lieutenant colonel Constantin Andrei was the first Romanian pilot to take it to the air solo in an F-16. He was followed by lieutenant colonel Catalin Miclos, the second Romanian pilot to fly solo on F-16. On 27 November, it was the turn of major Mihaita Marin to fly his solo on the F-16.
All the Romanian pilots are experienced, qualified as instructors on MiG-21 Lancer and are part of the first detachment of Romanian Air Force personnel to be trained in Portugal. This first group consists of 23 pilots, maintainers and mission planners. The program is scheduled to take place over a period of about two years, and includes the training of about 80 personnel, including nine pilots.
https://www.facebook.com/roafcersenin/p ... permPage=1

edpop

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post30 Nov 2014, 02:56

Okay, I read the whole article on the news site and here is my question:
These planes are A & B models, blocks 10 & 15 before the MLU upgrades. After the upgrade what model and block number could they be compared to? I don't think that was mentioned in the article unless I missed it?
Vietnam veteran (Combat Engineer) 1967
Retired from Chrysler Engineering

thepointblank

Unread post30 Nov 2014, 06:16

edpop wrote:Okay, I read the whole article on the news site.............here is my question...................these planes are A & B models, blocks 10 & 15 before the MLU upgrades. After the upgrade what model and block number could they be compared to? I don't think that was mentioned in the article unless I missed it?

The MLU upgrades allows earlier blocks of the F-16 to remain competitive with Block 50/52 aircraft.

Return to F-16 News