F-16 traffic patterns

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures
  • Author

AMVI_Zakk

Unread post14 Dec 2009, 00:04

Hello everyone,
I'd like to know what are the parameters of altitude and speed used in the Tactical Overhead Traffic Pattern and Battle Break procedures (if this is the correct name).

While reading the AFI11-2F-16V3 (F-16 Operations Procedures), I realized that the Tactical Overhead Traffic Pattern is a standard Overhead Traffic Pattern with a tactical entry, so I think about a tactical formation approach. Is this the only differnce between the two patterns? Altitude and airspeed are the same (1500ft and 300 Kts)?

Battle break is the procedure by which the formation approaches the runway at very low altitudes (500 feet or less?) and with high speed? If not, how is called that procedure? What are the parameters to use?

Thanks!
Last edited by AMVI_Zakk on 14 Dec 2009, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.

That_Engine_Guy

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Dec 2009, 00:51

The "precise parameters to use" are the ones used so that nobody knows what procedure you're going to use.

Seems like someone is phishing here boys... Recommend a lock on this one due to MANPAD risk.

TEG
[Airplanes are] near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive.
— Richard Collins

AMVI_Zakk

Unread post14 Dec 2009, 01:02

:lol:

There is no manpad risk, I'm a simple "virtual pilot" who wants to fly these procedures :oops:

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Dec 2009, 01:27

The fact that an AF tech doc like that one is in the public domain is troubling to start with. But if the info you want is so you can fly the pattern...IN THE VIRTUAL WORLD...then use the numbers in the manuals you have. Otherwise you probably won't get very far asking for actual numbers from the operators here. TEG's concerns are valid IMO. Sorry.... :whistle:
Why does "monosyllabic" have 5 syllables?

AMVI_Zakk

Unread post14 Dec 2009, 01:45

The public version of the doc that I quoted does not include these numbers. Parameters for the standard Overhead Traffic Pattern are known by many fans of the Falcon, I found them in another thread too (300kts, 1500ft). :)

Anyway, I'm sorry if I asked about classified information, I didn't know that they were. :(

Thanks anyway! :)

VprWzl

Unread post14 Dec 2009, 05:14

Tactical overheads, as they are called don't necessarily have strictly defined parameters - that's part of what makes them tactical. Tac ovhds are frequently different in each base and they vary significantly. Most are very flexible. I can point at the field from any direction and almost any altiude, as fast as I wanna be and then just fly my jet to ensure that I arrive at short final with the ability to land from it. We normally only do real tactical ovhds with our combat ready wingman - young guys can hurt themselves becuase they don't know how to fly their jet well enough to fly a crazy pattern and still land with safe parameters.

I hope that helps - bottomline: they are very loosely defined except that you have to be able to land from it.

Cheers
Check Six!

AMVI_Zakk

Unread post14 Dec 2009, 12:00

Ok, thank you VprWzl, now it's clear!

I think it's the same for the second procedure in which I asked. We point the rwy from the same direction of landing, fast and slow as required, the important think is to get the downwind leg within required parameters. So after the break we fly a normal downwind and landing, as in the normal overhead.

The last thing that I'd like to know is how this last procedure is called... If I can ask it.

Thank you very much!

Return to F-16 Procedures