spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post25 Nov 2009, 08:45

SENATOR JOHN FAULKNER
Minister for Defence
F-35 JOINT STRIKE FIGHTER - AUSTRALIAS NEXT GENERATION AIR POWER

Wednesday, 25 November 2009 051/2009 Media List E-mail (see Govmnt website)

"The Minister for Defence, Senator John Faulkner, today announced that the Australian Government had approved acquisition of the first batch of F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) aircraft as foreshadowed in the 2009 Defence White Paper.

There has been considerable public interest in the potential acquisition of the F-35 JSF. The Government examined the JSFs capabilities very carefully in the context of the Air Combat Capability Review and 2009 Defence White Paper deliberations, and remains confident that the JSFs combination of stealth, advanced sensors, networking and data fusion capabilities, when integrated into the networked Australian Defence Force (ADF), will ensure Australia maintains its strategic capability advantage out to 2030.

The Government has approved acquisition of the first 14 Conventional Take-Off and Landing (CTOL) Joint Strike Fighters and infrastructure and support required for initial training and testing, at an estimated cost of $3.2 billion.

Approval of this first batch of JSF aircraft is evidence of the Rudd Governments strong commitment to defence and our commitment to implementing the Defence White Paper, Senator Faulkner said.

Approval of the next batch of aircraft and all necessary support and enabling capabilities, sufficient to establish three operational squadrons and a training squadron of CTOL JSF, will be considered in 2012. This will fulfil our White Paper commitment to acquire three operational squadrons comprising not fewer than 72 aircraft.

By 2012, Defence will have much firmer cost estimates for the remaining aircraft and necessary support and enabling capabilities as part of the planned first multi-year buy that is expected to comprise over 1000 aircraft for the US, Australia and other partners. This will allow for much more effective planning of the final JSF acquisition in the context of the overall Defence Capability Plan, Senator Faulkner said.

Acquisition of an additional operational squadron bringing the total number of JSF aircraft to around 100 will be considered at a later date in conjunction with a decision on the withdrawal of the F/A-18F Super Hornet.

Australias first JSF aircraft will be delivered in the United States in 2014 to commence initial training and test activities. Australias first operational squadron will be based at Royal Australian Air Force Base Williamtown, and is planned to be ready for operations in 2018. All three operational squadrons are planned to be in service in 2021.

The decision follows many years of unprecedented evaluation and planning by all nine countries involved in the JSFs development.

Defence has done more analysis on this platform than any other platform in the acquisition history of the ADF, Senator Faulkner said.

Chief of the Air Force, Air Marshal Mark Binskin said: The JSF acquisition will allow Australia to maintain its regional air combat superiority. It will also enable Australia to effectively contribute to regional security and enhances opportunities for interoperability and commonality to support future coalition operations.

To date, 25 Australian companies have won approximately US$200 million in the development and early production phase of the JSF. As Australia and other countries commit to JSF acquisition, significantly increased opportunities for Australian industry will open up, as agreed in the Industry Participation Plan with Lockheed Martin and its JSF industry partners.

Minister for Defence Personnel, Materiel and Science, Greg Combet said: Government and Industry will need to continue to work together as JSF Team Australia to maximise benefits for Australian industry in the JSF Program in the face of stiff international competition. Consideration of acquisition of the next batch of aircraft in 2012 will provide Government the opportunity to review Lockheed Martins progress on implementing the Industry Participation Plan.

It is important that where Australian companies offer value for money, Lockheed Martin and its JSF industry partners give fair consideration to Australian industry, Minister Combet said.

The Governments acquisition decision will also allow Lockheed Martin and its JSF industry partners to establish formal relationships with Australian industry to meet Australias defence self reliance requirements in supporting the JSF.

Our commitment to the JSF will allow Australian industry to become integrated into the global JSF support system, ensuring our aircraft are supported in the most cost effective way. Commitment to the JSF also opens up opportunities for Australian industry to contribute to regional and global support of the JSF, Minister Combet said.

The Program Manager, Air Vice-Marshal John Harvey said: This acquisition decision cements our commitment to the JSF Program and our commitment to the US and other international partners to make the JSF Program a great success."

gf0012-aust

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post25 Nov 2009, 09:25

another 2 countries are supposed to make decisions by year end, so it will be interesting to see whether they front up as well.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post25 Nov 2009, 10:02

Tasmania oughtta get in on it I reckon. :-)
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post25 Nov 2009, 17:49

Well, the program seems to be picking up momentum. :applause:

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post26 Nov 2009, 00:48

Major aviation equipment manufacturing nations are buying in; England, Italy, Israel, Australia, Turkey and soon Japan. As they negotiate their homeland equipment into their versions, it will be more, politically and economically practical for others to join in the parade. If you are investing into your country's future are you really going to invest in last years model?, get real! :nono: Other than the occaisional "turkey shoot", Israel (in the last 25 yrs.) is the only one to get kills with their 4th gen. a/c in air- air combat against Mig-23, 25. Is competing against "status quo" really the future of anyone's airforce? :?:

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post26 Nov 2009, 01:36

neptune, I must admit I have no idea what you are referring to so I'll guess that you object to the RAAF / Aust Guvmnt strategy of buying 14 early F-35As as against buying the most 'up to date mode' sometime in future? Please say if my elaboration is incorrect. To my way of thinking buying 14 early JSF-As allows training to get up to speed for the real introduction of 3 squadrons of aircraft in the near future. No hint AFAIK what 'uptospeedness' these aircraft will be at with likely the last 4th squadron being the most 'uptodate' years later. Seems like a good plan to me. First in and Last out.

I am real. I am as real as I sit here typing onto a screen (without looking at my fingers on the keyboard - using all ten fingers - is that OK?). :-)

The early fourteen will remain training aircraft in the training squadron (and / or updated as required).

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post26 Nov 2009, 01:43

A Win for Strategic Thinking (The Williams Foundation)

http://www.williamsfoundation.org.au/me ... elease.pdf (44Kb)

"The Williams Foundation unequivocally endorses the government’s decision to place a firm order for fourteen F-35 Joint Strike Fighters. This represents strategic thinking of the first order, for which the Rudd Government, and indeed its coalition predecessors (who took the decision to join the nine-nation JSF program in 2002), deserve credit. No single defence force-structuring choice in the next two decades is likely to contribute more to Australia’s national security.
Australia’s geostrategic circumstances are unique, and require a unique force-structuring solution. Because we inhabit an island continent, our military strategy logically should focus first, on controlling events in the approaches to our north and northwest; and second, on protecting ourselves, our friends, and our allies throughout that region. The most recent Defence White Paper, Defending Australia in the Asia Pacific Century: Force 2030, explicitly recognised those strategic imperatives.
The Australian Defence Force must be paramount in three crucial roles if it is successfully to prosecute that strategy:

• Information/Surveillance/Reconnaissance (ISR),

• Control of the Air, and

• Strategic Strike

Numerous components from each of the three services contribute to those roles, but none is, or will be for many years, more important than the F-35. When the F-35 becomes operational with the RAAF around 2018 it will be the best ISR and air-to-ground strike/fighter in the world, bar none; and it will be considerably superior in air-to-air combat to every other fighter in the world except the F-22, which on current indications will be operated only by our American allies.
By ordering fourteen aircraft the Government has set its course - there will be no turning back. The RAAF can now proceed confidently with training crews, building infrastructure, and developing concepts of operations.
The F-35 will be the centre-piece of a networked ADF, and as its exceptional capabilities become better understood, it is likely to be valued as much by the Navy and Army as by the Air Force.
In the opinion of the Williams Foundation, the Rudd Government’s decision to order the F-35 represents a win for strategic thinking and, therefore, for national security.

The Williams Foundation is an independent research organisation whose purpose is to promote the development and effective implementation of National Security and Defence policies specific to Australia’s unique geopolitical environment and values."

Beazz

Unread post26 Nov 2009, 02:14

spazsinbad wrote:neptune, I must admit I have no idea what you are referring to so I'll guess that you object to the RAAF / Aust Guvmnt strategy of buying 14 early F-35As as against buying the most 'up to date mode' sometime in future? Please say if my elaboration is incorrect. To my way of thinking buying 14 early JSF-As allows training to get up to speed for the real introduction of 3 squadrons of aircraft in the near future. No hint AFAIK what 'uptospeedness' these aircraft will be at with likely the last 4th squadron being the most 'uptodate' years later. Seems like a good plan to me. First in and Last out.

I am real. I am as real as I sit here typing onto a screen (without looking at my fingers on the keyboard - using all ten fingers - is that OK?). :-)

The early fourteen will remain training aircraft in the training squadron (and / or updated as required).

Hmmm, I took what Neptune said as agreeing with the purchase and stateing many others are getting in line and gearing up to buy the JSF and the *last years model* comment was referring to all the 4th gen planes for sale.

Beazz

PhillyGuy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post26 Nov 2009, 05:42

spazsinbad wrote:A Win for Strategic Thinking (The Williams Foundation)

That was superbly written; short and to the point. And so incredibly true.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."

elp

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post26 Nov 2009, 08:33

spazsinbad wrote:A Win for Strategic Thinking (The Williams Foundation)

http://www.williamsfoundation.org.au/me ... elease.pdf (44Kb)

"The Williams Foundation unequivocally endorses the government’s decision to place a firm order for fourteen F-35 Joint Strike Fighters. This represents strategic thinking of the first order, for which the Rudd Government, and indeed its coalition predecessors (who took the decision to join the nine-nation JSF program in 2002), deserve credit. No single defence force-structuring choice in the next two decades is likely to contribute more to Australia’s national security.
Australia’s geostrategic circumstances are unique, and require a unique force-structuring solution. Because we inhabit an island continent, our military strategy logically should focus first, on controlling events in the approaches to our north and northwest; and second, on protecting ourselves, our friends, and our allies throughout that region. The most recent Defence White Paper, Defending Australia in the Asia Pacific Century: Force 2030, explicitly recognised those strategic imperatives.
The Australian Defence Force must be paramount in three crucial roles if it is successfully to prosecute that strategy:

• Information/Surveillance/Reconnaissance (ISR),

• Control of the Air, and

• Strategic Strike

Numerous components from each of the three services contribute to those roles, but none is, or will be for many years, more important than the F-35. When the F-35 becomes operational with the RAAF around 2018 it will be the best ISR and air-to-ground strike/fighter in the world, bar none; and it will be considerably superior in air-to-air combat to every other fighter in the world except the F-22, which on current indications will be operated only by our American allies.
By ordering fourteen aircraft the Government has set its course - there will be no turning back. The RAAF can now proceed confidently with training crews, building infrastructure, and developing concepts of operations.
The F-35 will be the centre-piece of a networked ADF, and as its exceptional capabilities become better understood, it is likely to be valued as much by the Navy and Army as by the Air Force.
In the opinion of the Williams Foundation, the Rudd Government’s decision to order the F-35 represents a win for strategic thinking and, therefore, for national security.

The Williams Foundation is an independent research organisation whose purpose is to promote the development and effective implementation of National Security and Defence policies specific to Australia’s unique geopolitical environment and values."

And would anyone expect them to say any different? One of their sponsors is Lock Mart. Yet the aircraft is far from tested. How useful. Very strong strategic thinking on their part. Maybe the Williams Foundation has excellent advice on buying a car or house.
- ELP -

sextusempiricus

Banned

Unread post26 Nov 2009, 09:41

It is instructive to determine who, exactly, is sponsoring these different "foundations." If in fact the "Williams Foundation" is LockMart sponsored, then they can be disregarded a priori. Then again, ELP is affiliated with Airpower Australia or whatever their name is. They, too, can be disregarded for being far less than an objective observer. I do wonder why F-16.net publishes ELP's columns as articles. Not only are they poorly written, they are filled with opinion and conjecture. As a journalist I may know the difference between a column and an article. Sadly, most of those who frequent this site have no idea how to tell between the two. Yet another black mark on F-16.net (besides the fact that they are incapable of posting anything that may appear the least bit critical of Pakistan, evidently one of their principal sponsors).l

Beazz

Unread post26 Nov 2009, 17:06

sextusempiricus wrote:It is instructive to determine who, exactly, is sponsoring these different "foundations." If in fact the "Williams Foundation" is LockMart sponsored, then they can be disregarded a priori. Then again, ELP is affiliated with Airpower Australia or whatever their name is. They, too, can be disregarded for being far less than an objective observer. I do wonder why F-16.net publishes ELP's columns as articles. Not only are they poorly written, they are filled with opinion and conjecture. As a journalist I may know the difference between a column and an article. Sadly, most of those who frequent this site have no idea how to tell between the two. Yet another black mark on F-16.net (besides the fact that they are incapable of posting anything that may appear the least bit critical of Pakistan, evidently one of their principal sponsors).l

F16.net doesn't *publish* anyones articles. People are free here to start a thread under the proper topic and post what THEY see fit. Being a smart guy who knows the difference between a *colum* and an *article* I'd think you'd know that? :roll:

Far as I know this is suppose to be a non political site so what would a topic on Pakistan be doing here anyhow? Those in charge of this site routinely stop political back and forth rants by people like me ;-)) regardless of what nation or leader it is about. So your accusations are unfounded and actually pointless.
JMHO of course. ;-)

Beazz

Thumper3181

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post26 Nov 2009, 17:34

elp wrote:
And would anyone expect them to say any different? One of their sponsors is Lock Mart. Yet the aircraft is far from tested. How useful. Very strong strategic thinking on their part. Maybe the Williams Foundation has excellent advice on buying a car or house.

What's the matter Eric, sour grapes? Are you frustrated that people who have access to far better information than you have confirmed that they want to go ahead with their participation in the F-35 program? Are you still angry that so many engineers, managers and policy makers are willing to spend 300 billion dollars on something that you, APA, and a few other lunatics can't seem to understand? Poor Eric. Go back to writing your editorials for F-16.net. It's always nice to have the other point of view but when you post don't be surprised if some one calls you out on your ignorance.

sextusempiricus wrote:Yet another black mark on F-16.net (besides the fact that they are incapable of posting anything that may appear the least bit critical of Pakistan, evidently one of their principal sponsors).l

Whatever are you babbling about?Pakistan like India is a third world country full of arrogant, testosterone fueled nationalists who shouldn't be given a book of matches much less an atomic bomb. There happy. Something critical. Now take your nonsense elsewhere.

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Nov 2009, 08:30

The 2014 F-35A's will not be early Block 3s, but will be the third year of Block 3 production.

By 2012, when the check is written, the F-35 will have vast amounts of testing done and any mention of it being "unproven" will be long forgotten.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

jacarlsen

Unread post27 Nov 2009, 09:13

Until the contract is written and signed, any and all customers may back out. Norway has shortlisted the F-35 but the contract it self is not signed yet. The price for the 56 planes Norway wants is still being negotiated. Maybe Australia should wait until the really comitted countries get their pricetags down to paper and contracts signed. Can you live with that Mr. Palmer?
Next

Return to General F-35 Forum