YF-22 vs YF-23

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
  • Author

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post24 Jun 2021, 14:49

mixelflick wrote:I always assumed the F-22 would have superior range to an F-15C, just a question of how much. If I'm not mistaken, the YF-22A's range/internal fuel volume was scaled back when finalizing the F-22A.

Still, for the F-22 to have approx the same range as F-15C with 2 bags.... mighty impresssive IMO. Especially given the amount of electronics/avionics etc. it needs to carry to a (higher) altitude. Those motors really are something else...

EDIT: It strikes me as odd the F-15EX being procured to replace/"refresh" the F-15C fleet hasn't increased internal fuel volume one iota. In fact, it may carry a bit less due to the 2nd seat? The only way this makes sense is if the F-15EX's new motors are substantially more fuel efficient.

I'll buy the fact they give it better legs than an F-15C, but not by much.

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post24 Jun 2021, 15:32

mixelflick wrote:I always assumed the F-22 would have superior range to an F-15C, just a question of how much. If I'm not mistaken, the YF-22A's range/internal fuel volume was scaled back when finalizing the F-22A.

Still, for the F-22 to have approx the same range as F-15C with 2 bags.... mighty impresssive IMO. Especially given the amount of electronics/avionics etc. it needs to carry to a (higher) altitude. Those motors really are something else...

Higher altitude, more efficient engines, AND much less drag. It makes a big difference not carrying everything externally.

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post24 Jun 2021, 15:35

mixelflick wrote:

EDIT: It strikes me as odd the F-15EX being procured to replace/"refresh" the F-15C fleet hasn't increased internal fuel volume one iota. In fact, it may carry a bit less due to the 2nd seat? The only way this makes sense is if the F-15EX's new motors are substantially more fuel efficient.

I'll buy the fact they give it better legs than an F-15C, but not by much.

The EX has the same internal fuel volume as the E model. The advantage is has over the C is that it not only has more efficient engines, but carries conformal fuel tanks.
Previous

Return to General F-22A Raptor forum