Gripen News

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post16 Jun 2021, 17:52

hornetfinn wrote:
XanderCrews wrote:Warren buffet said never ask a barber if you need a haircut. Its not a surprise that the group offering a non LO option thinks LO is "dead"-- I'd play that card too. The problem is no one believes them. Boeing doesn't play that card because it would make them look brain-dead. The Euro competitors, China and Russia are all moving toward LO across a myriad of platforms.

Remember the heady days of the late 2000s when Saab saw the Gripen NG as an actual F-35 alternative, and thats never actually happened. Every time an F-35 competes against Gripen E, Gripen loses.

The F-35 has about a dozen export nations, the world's premier air arms, and a who's who of industrial powerhouses behind it. Gripen E has Brazil.

Exactly, although Boeing definitely tried to play that card:
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/04/07/boeing-growler-eclipses-f35s-stealth-advantage.html

"Stealth is perishable; only a Growler provides full spectrum protection," states one of the slides in a briefing given by Mike Gibbons, vice president of F/A-18 and EA-18G programs for Boeing, in a not-so-subtle dig at the radar-evading, fifth-generation jet made by Lockheed Martin Corp.

I like how somehow competitors like Saab and Boeing always seem to claim that stealth means you can't use electronic warfare and stealth means significantly added costs and increased maintenance needs. Maybe somebody should show them basic radar equations which show that jamming power directly competes against RCS. Or that LM offer for Finland includes just as many fighters as Boeing and Saab offers. So much for the cost advantages for 4th gen jets... :roll:

I also find it very funny that Saab is involved and invested own money in the Tempest FCAS project, which will be a 5th generation stealth fighter jet and which will enter service by 2040 or so... Why if EW is the way to go... :roll:

Oh indeed. in many ways this got settled in the early 70s. EW simply wasn't enough and it still isn't now. Boeing is hamstrung by at least some of its claims, It can't look out of touch with the rest of the world in the way that Saab claims that stealth is obsolete in the separate realities of Sweden and Brazil, which aren't a part of our planet somehow.

Boeing wants to land future contracts, and those contracts will have LO. They can't beat the anti stealth drum too hard, and of course to this day I have no idea why the X-32 was designed to be LO when that wasn't necessary... You'd think they would have pitched something very different knowing what they "know" about the "perishability" of stealth

"remember guys if we win this contract, then 5th generation stealth is the only way, but if we lose it, then LO is a perishable thing, and our fighters that don't have 5th generation capability are just as good"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tale as old as time.
Choose Crews

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post20 Jun 2021, 15:43

pron wrote:Saab had it's annual Gripen seminar this week. You can watch the video, or download a PDF. In the Q&A session they repeat that stealth are "dead" as usual. :D

Someone should tell Dassault

Now I'm not wearing my glasses and I'm still kinda drunk from last night, but boy oh boy is hard to not think that looks not only Stealth, but close to an F-35.

Choose Crews

ricnunes

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post21 Jun 2021, 14:33

That Dassault design seems like it came from a Japanese Anime/Manga :mrgreen:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

linkomart

Unread post23 Jun 2021, 06:04

ricnunes wrote:That Dassault design seems like it came from a Japanese Anime/Manga :mrgreen:

Patchwork on the surfaces makes it look like it´s from CATIA V4 and imported to V5.
Could be, when I visited Dassault in 2007 they still used V4 in the early phases.

my 5 cent.

hornetfinn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post23 Jun 2021, 07:35

linkomart wrote:
ricnunes wrote:That Dassault design seems like it came from a Japanese Anime/Manga :mrgreen:

Patchwork on the surfaces makes it look like it´s from CATIA V4 and imported to V5.
Could be, when I visited Dassault in 2007 they still used V4 in the early phases.

my 5 cent.

LOL, very true it looks rather dated. Maybe they haven't received an upgrade from Dassault Systèmes... :wink:

linkomart

Unread post23 Jun 2021, 09:12

hornetfinn wrote:
linkomart wrote:

my 5 cent.

LOL, very true it looks rather dated. Maybe they haven't received an upgrade from Dassault Systèmes... :wink:

True, but I should perhaps evolve my thoughts a little.
V4 vs V5 is a dated CAD program, but it is still very powerfull and better than many competitors. The surfaces are not really good for later stages (like CAM integration) but it is stable and can take small deviations better than V5.
When I was there they told me they use V4 because it was intergrated in to their other early design tools. It is a big job to do that integration so they hadn´t done the integration yet.
Dassault might well still have the early design tools in V4, I don't know, but even so, It will be more powerful than some competitors tools I've seen.

My 5½ cent.

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post14 Jul 2021, 15:53

There has still been no official movement or inquiry into Brazil's second batch of Gripens...
Choose Crews

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post15 Jul 2021, 14:27

XanderCrews wrote:There has still been no official movement or inquiry into Brazil's second batch of Gripens...
"

Perhaps they're waiting on the new mystery Russian single engined stealth, due to fly at MAKS in less than a week? That would seem to be a long shot however, as it will be 5-10 years from the word go. "Never" seems to be the most likely date for an operational jet, provided you look at their Mig-35/SU-57 progress.

It may just be they're now realizing... they bought a turkey?

pron

Unread post03 Nov 2021, 17:59

Gripen E delivery phase starts according to Saab.

The delivery phase of serial Gripen E aircraft will commence before the end of the year, with delivery of four aircraft to Brazil and additional aircraft to Sweden. This important milestone for the program has been made possible due to smart ways of working, innovative production technologies and a close cooperation with the customers.

The speed is not only increasing within Gripen E flight testing, the same goes with the production facilities where the capacity continuously increases and is ramping up for full production rate in Linköping during next year. Production of around 30 Gripen E aircraft are currently underway, which means that Saab has started manufacturing of close to one third of the fighters currently in the order backlog.

More to read at source. Quite easy to have 1/3 of the backlog in production with so few planes on order. :D

https://www.saab.com/markets/brazil/sto ... ase-starts

hornetfinn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Nov 2021, 07:23

LOL, I wonder how fast Gripen E flight testing will get as the speed has been increasing constantly for so long... :crazypilot: :D

It's good that Gripen E is ramping up for full production rate as F-35 is still struggling to get past LRIP... :mrgreen:

loke

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post30 Nov 2021, 13:42

Delivery of Gripen E serial jets has started.

On time. On budget. Well done!

25 Nov 2021
Saab has commenced the Gripen E serial delivery phase for the Brazilian and Swedish air forces.

During a meeting with the Brazilian and Swedish authorities, the company presented the first six serial production Gripen E jets.

Out of the six fighters, which have left the company’s factory, four aircraft will be transferred to the Brazilian Air Force and two to Sweden’s Defence Materiel Administration.

https://www.airforce-technology.com/new ... eliveries/
Previous

Return to Modern Military Aircraft