F-15EX (is useless)

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.

Is the F-15EX really unnecessary?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes : 32

• Author

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post25 May 2021, 03:07

Corsair1963 wrote:
jetblast16 wrote:
Doesn't sound like the F-15EX did very well at Northern Edge in Alaska?

That sounds like spin to me :doh:

The whole point of the exercise was to face a serious near-peer threat. Yet, the "Super Eagle" suffered losses......the same plane that the USAF would operate for another 30+ years. That doesn't bode well as future threats evolve!

“If you go into any large force exercise and you come back with everybody—with no blue losses—I would probably say that your threat is not as robust as it needs to be, in order to get the learning,” he said. Northern Edge was meant to be a multi-service exercise against a near-peer threat having some low-observable capabilities.

Funny, the F-22 and F-35 rarely do..... :wink:

We don't know what "some" means, so it's kind of hard to draw conclusions, especially not knowing the circumstances. We know that F-22s have been killed by T-38s in exercises. We know that F-35s have also taken some losses. It's prudent to wait for more information, before getting the jump to conclusions mat out

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post25 May 2021, 04:28

wrightwing wrote:
We don't know what "some" means, so it's kind of hard to draw conclusions, especially not knowing the circumstances. We know that F-22s have been killed by T-38s in exercises. We know that F-35s have also taken some losses. It's prudent to wait for more information, before getting the jump to conclusions mat out

While, we don't know the specific details of the F-15EX's overall performance during the exercise. The remarks by Lt. Col. John O’Rear of the 84th Test and Evaluation Squadron. Were hardly encouraging either. (enthusiastic)

Nonetheless, as always the members are free to form their own opinions.

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post25 May 2021, 04:59

Corsair1963 wrote:

While, we don't know the specific details of the F-15EX's overall performance during the exercise. The remarks by Lt. Col. John O’Rear of the 84th Test and Evaluation Squadron. Were hardly encouraging either. (enthusiastic)

Well to be fair, there were only 2 of them there, and tactics with the new systems/capabilities haven't really matured yet. Apparently they displayed impressive electronic attack capabilities, so there's something. Without knowing what "some" means, it's too soon to characterize his comments as being "hardly encouraging," with regards to A2A prowess. No A2G missions were flown, so we don't know anything about that, either.

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post25 May 2021, 05:54

wrightwing wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

Well to be fair, there were only 2 of them there, and tactics with the new systems/capabilities haven't really matured yet. Apparently they displayed impressive electronic attack capabilities, so there's something. Without knowing what "some" means, it's too soon to characterize his comments as being "hardly encouraging," with regards to A2A prowess. No A2G missions were flown, so we don't know anything about that, either.

The F-15EX is basically a F-15QA with the EPAWSS. I would think Boeing and the USAF would be very familiar with the aircraft. Not like they sent inexperienced pilots on the exercise. Unless, you know something that we don't?

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post25 May 2021, 16:19

Corsair1963 wrote:
wrightwing wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

The F-15EX is basically a F-15QA with the EPAWSS. I would think Boeing and the USAF would be very familiar with the aircraft. Not like they sent inexperienced pilots on the exercise. Unless, you know something that we don't?

How many USAF pilots are experienced in the F-15QA? It's one thing being experienced flying the jet. It's quite another being experienced with employing the new systems/capabilities to their best effect. Hence the "if everyone.comes home...." comment about learning and exercise challenge level.

I'm not the one trying to read into things, so it's not a case of me knowing something you don't. It's a case of me pointing out wild and premature speculation.

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post26 May 2021, 03:26

wrightwing wrote:
How many USAF pilots are experienced in the F-15QA? It's one thing being experienced flying the jet. It's quite another being experienced with employing the new systems/capabilities to their best effect. Hence the "if everyone.comes home...." comment about learning and exercise challenge level.

I'm not the one trying to read into things, so it's not a case of me knowing something you don't. It's a case of me pointing out wild and premature speculation.

Yes, we don't know the pilots. Yet, I would be shocked if the two pilots that flew the F-15EX weren't highly experienced Eagle Drivers. Maybe even current or at least former Test Pilots with the F-15QA or F-15SA Programs.

I highly doubt they just took any old F-15C or F-15E Pilot and sent them to Alaska to see what the F-15EX's could do.... :wink:

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post26 May 2021, 04:10

Corsair1963 wrote:

So, the inexperience was the reason for the loss of the F-15EX's during the exercise......... :|

I suspect it it was much like the losses of F-22s and F-35s in exercises. OPFOR can respawn.

rowbeartoe

Unread post26 May 2021, 21:25

I posted this statement on F-15ex vs J-20 but felt perhaps it was best for this topic.

I find it interesting about what we can or cannot afford. It's all about priorities and politics it seems. We are spending trillions in the US on what is considered a priority with Covid-19 right now (something like 6 trillion since 2019 I believe?). Our yearly Military Budget is roughly "only" 3 quarters of a trillion dollars. If it was really important to have a nothing but stealth fighters then we could buy several thousand F-35's if we wanted to. Quick math says if we wanted to buy 1000 F-35's we could do it without the military budget even reaching 1 trillion for 1 year. After all an F-35 "only" costs 80-120 million a piece. And since the US is more of a welfare country during this pandemic, we could throw billions at our military contractors just because we want them around for future plans. Throw a few hundred extra F-16s and F-15ex Jets for non stealth missions or co-op stealth missions and save money in the future for cost per flight hour. I'm partly being sarcastic but there is a lot of truth to this as well.

Of interest however is this link which does show our spending with the US military budget when compared to GDP.
https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/U ... nse-budget
Previous

Return to Modern Military Aircraft