F-15EX (is useless)

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.

Is the F-15EX really unnecessary?

Yes
10
31%
No
22
69%
 
Total votes : 32

  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7632
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post03 May 2021, 08:00

hornetfinn wrote:
Fox1 wrote:There are also situations where the F-15's large RCS could actually be useful for deception/distraction purposes to aid LO aircraft. Getting the bad guys to focus their attention on what appears to be an F-15 threat 200 miles to the east could be useful for a flight of LO aircraft coming in to clobber the target from the west. Warfare is very much a team activity and the best teams are often those composed of a variety of dissimilar players. The key to success in modern war has been making the battlefield a 3-dimensional nightmare for your enemy. Aircraft like the F-15 still have a seat at the table.


Same effect could be achieved using F-35s with Lüneburg lenses, decoy missiles or a lot of other assets. If you already have F-15s, then that would be one reasonable use for them in the modern battlefield (along with defending against cruise missiles or 4th gen attack aircraft). However I don't see much sense buying new F-15s for these kinds of jobs. F-35s can do the same things with equal or superior capability and can also do many things that F-15s (or other 4th gens) just can't do.


Yes, seem the F-15EX Supporters are always looking for that one mission. In order to justify the existence for the aircraft in the first place. Yet, always seem to fall just a little short......
Offline

madrat

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3054
  • Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 03:12

Unread post03 May 2021, 12:17

The one mission that F-15EX will do better then F-35 anything is to announce it's presence? It certainly isn't going to be cheaper to run a wing of F-15EX over F-35A. So it seems like you could deploy decoys for cheaper. Maybe they can strap four SM-6 derivatives on F-15EX or hypersonic missiles. But overall that's an expensive niche.

Or we could recognize it's a lifeline for Boeing. Because that's exactly what it looks, smells, and feels like. I don't need to taste when everything else indicates what it is.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5680
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post03 May 2021, 15:10

Corsair1963 wrote:
hornetfinn wrote:
Fox1 wrote:There are also situations where the F-15's large RCS could actually be useful for deception/distraction purposes to aid LO aircraft. Getting the bad guys to focus their attention on what appears to be an F-15 threat 200 miles to the east could be useful for a flight of LO aircraft coming in to clobber the target from the west. Warfare is very much a team activity and the best teams are often those composed of a variety of dissimilar players. The key to success in modern war has been making the battlefield a 3-dimensional nightmare for your enemy. Aircraft like the F-15 still have a seat at the table.


Same effect could be achieved using F-35s with Lüneburg lenses, decoy missiles or a lot of other assets. If you already have F-15s, then that would be one reasonable use for them in the modern battlefield (along with defending against cruise missiles or 4th gen attack aircraft). However I don't see much sense buying new F-15s for these kinds of jobs. F-35s can do the same things with equal or superior capability and can also do many things that F-15s (or other 4th gens) just can't do.


Yes, seem the F-15EX Supporters are always looking for that one mission. In order to justify the existence for the aircraft in the first place. Yet, always seem to fall just a little short......


And yet they're still being bought so opinions don't mean much here.
"There I was. . ."
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7632
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post04 May 2021, 00:21

sferrin wrote:
And yet they're still being bought so opinions don't mean much here.


Honestly, I think the F-15EX will be either canceled or purchased as a replacement for the existing F-15E Fleet.

This is supported by the fact. That the USAF and ANG are already planning to replace many F-15C Units with New F-35A's not the F-15EX's. Which, was the whole reason to purchase the latter in the first place.
Offline

Fox1

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 226
  • Joined: 05 Jul 2005, 04:16

Unread post04 May 2021, 03:02

Does anyone know roughly how many C model Eagles remain in service? There are a couple of active duty squadrons at Kadena. Then there is an active squadron at Lakenheath. Other than a few birds in test squadrons and maybe some for the weapons school (if they even own their own birds), aren't pretty much all of the remaining C models in Guard service? The oldest C models have already been put out to pasture, so I can't imagine there are more than 200 or 250 (counting training and test) airframes still in service. So it would make sense that if the Air Force is only planning a buy for 144 or so aircraft, they will probably have to replace some C models with the F-35, since there will not be enough EX models to do a one for one replacement. I assume the F-35 will for sure get the nod to replace the F-15C at Kadena and Lakenheath, since those are forward bases. And it sounds like a few ANG F-15C squadrons may also end up getting the F-35. So I dunno, but if the Air Force goes beyond the proposed 144 F-15EX buy, it probably will be to replace the oldest E models in service, or to simply stand up new squadrons since there has been so much talk about growing the force. That said, good luck with that project under the current administration.
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7632
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post04 May 2021, 04:50

Fox1 wrote:Does anyone know roughly how many C model Eagles remain in service? There are a couple of active duty squadrons at Kadena. Then there is an active squadron at Lakenheath. Other than a few birds in test squadrons and maybe some for the weapons school (if they even own their own birds), aren't pretty much all of the remaining C models in Guard service? The oldest C models have already been put out to pasture, so I can't imagine there are more than 200 or 250 (counting training and test) airframes still in service. So it would make sense that if the Air Force is only planning a buy for 144 or so aircraft, they will probably have to replace some C models with the F-35, since there will not be enough EX models to do a one for one replacement. I assume the F-35 will for sure get the nod to replace the F-15C at Kadena and Lakenheath, since those are forward bases. And it sounds like a few ANG F-15C squadrons may also end up getting the F-35. So I dunno, but if the Air Force goes beyond the proposed 144 F-15EX buy, it probably will be to replace the oldest E models in service, or to simply stand up new squadrons since there has been so much talk about growing the force. That said, good luck with that project under the current administration.



Lakenheath and Kadena both operate 2-Squadrons each. While, the ANG operate five units (plus 1 OCU).......


My guess is both Lakenheath and Kaden will convert to the F-35A. While, the ANG Unit will split between the F-35A and F-15EX.


So, again why are we buying 144 F-15EX's???
Offline

madrat

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3054
  • Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 03:12

Unread post04 May 2021, 12:51

144. Because 143 is one odd number. They probably figure squadron strengths of 12. Twelve squadrons for the 144. The real question is how many O-4's is that?

Reminds me of buying bottle rockets. Go for a broken gross. Nobody really knew what a gross was but many would resell a gross as smaller bricks, or smaller subunits of individual packs. They made the most markup on packs but you don't move enough product at that rate. The seller could steal a brick or two from a broken gross and nobody knew if their gross was short or long. So you look for the broken gross and tell the guy, hey it looks like 3 packs are missing. Sometimes they'd throw in an extra brick to keep it simple. So you left with the full gross, an extra brick, and a bunch of loose packs of rockets for the price of a gross. The average guy just doesn't know their fractions.
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5680
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post04 May 2021, 15:05

Corsair1963 wrote:
sferrin wrote:
And yet they're still being bought so opinions don't mean much here.


Honestly, I think the F-15EX will be either canceled or purchased as a replacement for the existing F-15E Fleet.


Kinda hard to cancel something that's already being bought. End production? Yes. Cancel? No. If they're used to replace the F-15E I'd hardly call that "useless".
"There I was. . ."
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7632
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post05 May 2021, 02:08

sferrin wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:
sferrin wrote:
And yet they're still being bought so opinions don't mean much here.


Honestly, I think the F-15EX will be either canceled or purchased as a replacement for the existing F-15E Fleet.


Kinda hard to cancel something that's already being bought. End production? Yes. Cancel? No. If they're used to replace the F-15E I'd hardly call that "useless".


With that logic I guess the P-47 Thunderbolt wouldn't be useless in the 1960's. Yet, that doesn't mean we would want to buy more of them.......


Also, last I checked you can cancel any project and at anytime. (not like that has never happen before) :doh:
Offline
User avatar

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5680
  • Joined: 22 Jul 2005, 03:23

Unread post05 May 2021, 16:55

Corsair1963 wrote:With that logic I guess the P-47 Thunderbolt wouldn't be useless in the 1960's. Yet, that doesn't mean we would want to buy more of them.......

Also, last I checked you can cancel any project and at anytime. (not like that has never happen before) :doh:


Yeah, because many nations were buying P-47s in the 1960's. :roll:

Cancelled programs don't have production units delivered. See YF-23, XB-70, etc. F-15EX is already delivering aircraft so obviously it wasn't cancelled.
"There I was. . ."
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7632
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post05 May 2021, 23:40

sferrin wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:With that logic I guess the P-47 Thunderbolt wouldn't be useless in the 1960's. Yet, that doesn't mean we would want to buy more of them.......

Also, last I checked you can cancel any project and at anytime. (not like that has never happen before) :doh:


Yeah, because many nations were buying P-47s in the 1960's. :roll:

Cancelled programs don't have production units delivered. See YF-23, XB-70, etc. F-15EX is already delivering aircraft so obviously it wasn't cancelled.


I didn't say the F-15EX was canceled. I said I believe it could be canceled or purchased instead as a replacement for the F-15E.


Why? Because the whole reason to acquire the F-15EX was as a replacement for the USAF / ANG F-15C's. Yet, that has changed as a number of those units are instead getting the F-35A!

So, what's so hard to get???
Offline
User avatar

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7224
  • Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 19:42
  • Warnings: 1

Unread post13 May 2021, 00:25

XanderCrews wrote:
That mix will likely include NGAD, F-35, the F-15EX, and unmanned aircraft, which could be armed or provide electronic warfare escort.


Am I the only one who finds this extremely odd? There's only one bird in the world that has the title "Air Dominance Fighter" the F-22, and the USAF is talking Next Generation Air Dominance and suddenly the F-22 isn't even getting mentioned anymore? I thought that was the crown jewel and now it doesn't even exist? Next generation is interesting too, as we are still in the process of implementing the "Next (that would be fifth) generation"

F-22 is already "last generation?"

Imagine I was head lumber supplyman at my company. Then suddenly everyone was talking about the "next company head lumber supplyman" openly, and my name was never mentioned and I was suddenly persona non grata? That would be all the hallmarks of being fired...

No one else finds this weird? that the USAF "forgot" its most lethal air dominance fighter? I thought that box was checked, not to everyone satisfaction, but checked nonetheless

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets ... 22-raptor/

"primary function: Air Dominance"

The F-35 still has a job, and still has a great need and other than the budget battle being zero sum it would be completely secure.

It sure looks to me like the airplane in trouble most directly is F-22. But that makes so little sense...That would be a helluva feat for the USAF, Using future procurement funds to wipe out previously secured success. Might manage to kill two birds with one stone.



https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... nsize.html

Who called it??

Image

PM me for winning lottery numbers, or what to name your baby. Will predict future for nominal fee.
Choose Crews
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7632
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post13 May 2021, 01:12

Actually, it makes a great deal of sense.........


As we need to consolidate the number of types that we operate. While, increasing total numbers.....


In the case of the F-22 the fleet is small. While, being expensive to operate and maintain. So, you could just acquire more F-35's (block IV+) that are far more capable. While, being more than adequate against any foreseeable Air Threat. That is until the NGAD (6th Generation) Fighter comes online in the late 2030's.


As for the F-15E's they likely will just be replaced by new F-15EX's. In order to keep the Boeing Welfare Program going. As they really have no need for the F-15EX's to replace the F-15C's.


Lastly, the A-10's aren't going anywhere unless some type of replacement is found. As their loss would end jobs across many ANG Bases and Congressional Districts. So, that is just a political non-starter.
Offline
User avatar

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7224
  • Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 19:42
  • Warnings: 1

Unread post13 May 2021, 15:45

Corsair1963 wrote:Actually, it makes a great deal of sense.........


As we need to consolidate the number of types that we operate. While, increasing total numbers.....


In the case of the F-22 the fleet is small. While, being expensive to operate and maintain. So, you could just acquire more F-35's (block IV+) that are far more capable. While, being more than adequate against any foreseeable Air Threat. That is until the NGAD (6th Generation) Fighter comes online in the late 2030's.


As for the F-15E's they likely will just be replaced by new F-15EX's. In order to keep the Boeing Welfare Program going. As they really have no need for the F-15EX's to replace the F-15C's.


Lastly, the A-10's aren't going anywhere unless some type of replacement is found. As their loss would end jobs across many ANG Bases and Congressional Districts. So, that is just a political non-starter.


passing the F-22s to the ANG/reserve to keep the jobs secure, retiring A-10 while simultaneously limiting F-22 hours would seemingly be the solution, but I'm just a moron grunt/taxpayer that shouldn't think of such simple, effective solutions
Choose Crews
Offline
User avatar

ricnunes

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

  • Posts: 3350
  • Joined: 02 Mar 2017, 14:29

Unread post13 May 2021, 17:34

XanderCrews wrote:passing the F-22s to the ANG/reserve to keep the jobs secure, retiring A-10 while simultaneously limiting F-22 hours would seemingly be the solution, but I'm just a moron grunt/taxpayer that shouldn't think of such simple, effective solutions


DITTO!

And I'm almost 100% sure that every of those A-10 pilots would be more than happy to trade their A-10s for F-22s! :wink:
One of the very few things that would make all those pilots any happier would be for each won to win the lottery (but not the
exact same lottery ticket of course).
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nn8734 and 35 guests