Israel Pays for Additional F-35s

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post12 Feb 2021, 14:34

madrat wrote:I thought F-15EX used upgraded actuators compared to previous F-15E, to maybe meet FCS work. F-15I to F-15IA sounds like a radical SLEP of wings and wiring.

This is a fair point.

Are the Israeli's really talking about buying new F-15EX's, or just juicing up their F-15I to an IA standard? I'd think with a warm production line, buying brand new would be more logical... but I guess it depends what they need it for.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post13 Feb 2021, 02:37

OLD news with detail I don't recall seeing (testing bit).
Israel Plans Conformal Tanks for ADIR
Jun 2019 Combat Aircraft

"ISRAEL AEROSPACE INDUSTRIES (IAI) and Elbit Systems are reportedly developing auxiliary fuel tanks for the Israeli Air Force's (IAF's) F-35I Adir fighters. The former company [IAI] is developing conformal tanks that will have minimal effects on the fighter's stealth capabilities. Elbit is separately developing a 425-gallon (1,609-liter) underwing external fuel tank. Testing is scheduled to begin after a dedicated F-35 test aircraft is delivered to the IAF in 2020."

Source: COMBAT Aircraft Magazine June 2019 Volume 20 Number 6
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

fang

Unread post16 Feb 2021, 22:59

The IAF recieved today green light to order another 25 Adir's (F-35i) + 4 new KC-46A + munitions.
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/israel- ... 2021-02-16

No decision yet about replacing the aging CH-53 with CH-53K or CH-47 and ordering 25 new F-15EX (the Israeli marking is F-15IA)
Thus will bring the Israeli F-35i inventory to 75 (3 squadrons)

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post17 Feb 2021, 00:31

About time....

doge

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Apr 2021, 17:06

Israel flies F-35 against the Tor-M1 air defense missile system. @0:35~ :shock: (!?) :doh:
http://alert5.com/2021/04/08/cyprus-tor ... and-f-35s/
Cyprus Tor M1 in joint training with Israeli F-15s and F-35s
Posted on April 8, 2021
The Cyprus National Guard carried out a joint training exercise with Israel on Apr. 5-6. Exercise ONISILOS GEDEON 2021 involves the Tor M1 air defense missile system and Israeli F-15s and F-35s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgFOiRQ56DQ

doge

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Apr 2021, 17:11

Israeli style cleaning. 8)
https://www.iaf.org.il/9325-52835-he/IAF.aspx (Language is Hebrew. Use Google Translate.)
In honor of Passover: How do you clean a plane?
Published on 30.03.2021 Noa Schnebron
With the advent of Passover, many of us are in the midst of meticulous cleansing. But in the Air Force, cleanliness takes on a different meaning when it comes to the aircraft it operates and the "mighty" plane in particular. So how do you clean a plane? This is how it is done in the Air Force
Passover has arrived, and as every year comes with it the cleanliness, which does not miss the various units in the Air Force. The corps' bases all over the country worked hard to ensure that they were clean and tidy for the holiday. But what about the corps' aircraft? Have you ever wondered what it must be like to clean a plane? In honor of the holiday, we went out to check out how the technical lineup does it.

With us it is different
If you asked yourself why planes should be cleaned at all, Major Eddie, the technical officer of Squadron 116 ("Southern Lions") that operates the "mighty" plane (F-35I), has the answer: "You have to make sure the plane is clean of That visibility is of great importance. When our planes are clean and well maintained - the end result looks accordingly, it affects the entire squadron. "Apart from that, there are lenses and cameras that can impair the quality of the image they provide if they are not cleaned properly."
Most planes are cleaned every few weeks, the frequency varies from plane to plane among other things depending on its size. The Lightning (F-16) is easier to clean because it is relatively small, than the Samson (Super Hercules C-130J), which is much larger. "There are troops in the world that use a giant washing machine for airplanes," explains Major Eddie. This is not the case with us - the Israeli Air Force cleans manually with a special soap. "

Without a flaw
The challenge involved in cleaning aircraft is even greater when it comes to the "mighty" aircraft. "We clean the plane once every three months or so, and each time the process takes two days," explains Major Eddie. "Three soldiers from the technical system must be assigned for this, along with a counter that accompanies and supervises them. "Every time the plane goes through the cleaning process, it is completely disabled."
One of the most important features of the "mighty" is its evasiveness - for a special coating plane thanks to which it is not visible in the enemy's radar (reveals direction and distance). "Damage the plane - that's why the technicians wear galoshes and are very careful when cleaning."
The process of cleaning the "mighty" plane is complex and requires maximum precision. "The responsibility that rests on our shoulders is very great. It's enough for someone to forget to take off one of the covers that stick on the plane while cleaning - and the results can be devastating," Major Eddie describes. List one by one and make sure we really remove them all. "

Once every 3 months ! :shock: (Looong.) WoW
I had assumed that the wash cleaning cycle would be shorter than that. :doh:
To me, the interval seems quite long. 8) (Have leeway.)
Attachments
85616.jpg
85617.jpg
85618.jpg
85620.jpg
Previous

Return to Program and politics