Best Glide Speed

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures
  • Author

tangoshadow

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post26 Sep 2011, 00:22

Hi,

I was wondering - I know that for landing you target around 11 or 13 degrees AoA, but wondered about two other parameters: best rate of climb and best glide speed/AoA??

Best regards,
TangoShadow.

deadseal

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post26 Sep 2011, 04:31

depends on weight and drag. very large range for both

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post26 Sep 2011, 20:53

As I recall, if HOME mode is used, HAL figured out the apex altitude and glide speed based on your particular situation and which steerpoint was selected for HOME.
Why does "monosyllabic" have 5 syllables?

guy@rdaf.dk

Unread post27 Sep 2011, 15:51

Best engine out glide AOA is around 7 AOA regardless of weight. Not sure about the AOA for best climb rate since it depends on lots of other parameters, but it will be well below the 7 AOA. Usually we talk about climb speed in either KIAS or Mach number, and not climb AOA. Factors such as distance vs altitude, time vs altitude and more will determine what speed to climb with.
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

tangoshadow

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post28 Sep 2011, 13:46

Usually we talk about climb speed in either KIAS or Mach number, and not climb AOA. Factors such as distance vs altitude, time vs altitude and more will determine what speed to climb with.

Is this information publicly available?

Best engine out glide AOA is around 7 AOA regardless of weight.

Great! Thanks.

Best regards,
TangoShadow.

guy@rdaf.dk

Unread post28 Sep 2011, 20:09

The climb info sheets are in the Dash 1-1. Don't know if its publicly available.
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

Roscoe

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post29 Sep 2011, 00:13

Climbs are performed at the speed with the greatest excess thrust, i.e. the greatest difference between thrust and drag. For fast movers this tends to be 350-400 KCAS until approx 0.8M is reached then hold Mach. This is usually independent of weight or load out...or independent enough to not sweat the differences.
Roscoe
F-16 Program Manager
USAF Test Pilot School 92A

"It's time to get medieval, I'm goin' in for guns" - Dos Gringos

saberrider

Unread post05 Apr 2021, 15:14

guy@rdaf.dk wrote:Best engine out glide AOA is around 7 AOA regardless of weight. Not sure about the AOA for best climb rate since it depends on lots of other parameters, but it will be well below the 7 AOA. Usually we talk about climb speed in either KIAS or Mach number, and not climb AOA. Factors such as distance vs altitude, time vs altitude and more will determine what speed to climb with.
Questions :but the glide slope angle?

Patriot

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post09 Apr 2021, 14:04

Take a look at this. The oil pressure went to 0, the pilot gained the altitude regardless and then shut down the engine as it started to smoke fearing of breaking up the fire I guess. Then the aircraft comfortably went to a glide-descent mode in around 250kts indicated. Perfectly executed dead stick landing...!

Question. Why the AOA staple symbology didn't popped out as the gear handle went down as it normally happenes I think...??

:arrow: https://youtu.be/ILxzJAcq1Mc

Return to F-16 Procedures