Hud symbology?

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
  • Author

olli

Unread post07 Sep 2014, 15:20

Hey guys I am creating an F-35C for a game and I'm really struggling to find any proper references for HUD and the pictures i have found i have no idea what all the symbols mean, so I'm hoping someone here could help me out a bit.

Here's the first image:
1)this is whats been giving me the most headache, its like a long vertical line with a rectangle on it and two horizontal bars. absolutely no idea what it is or what it does.
2) this circle thing with a box around it. Im guessing its something related to 12 which is also a circle. there also seems to be a vector between the middle point of the HUD and the circle-box..
3) this dotted box
4) I'm guessing this is AOA, speed in Mach and current G forces?
5) 30.22? this probably isn't just a random number.
6) R 58.4 NM, T 0:04:27. Seems to be displaying distance to something in nautical miles.. possibly related to 1?. Also there's a time, and i calculated that seems to be the time it takes to travel the distance above with the current groundspeed.
7) EMCON DL014. Google says Emcon is emissions control, so I'm guessing this is some sort of stealth mode indicator. what does the DL014 mean?
8 ) this is obviously altitude in feet, but the number below? i have a feeling it might be altitude from the ground but not 100% sure (R maybe radar?)
9) speed (in knots?) what about the 20 above the airspeed box? it seems lonely.
10) this diamond shape thing. From what ive seen in some simulator demos the diamond shape is a jdam target. is this related to 1? or is the positioning just coincidental?
11) rectangle with a v in it. has something to do with the compass, but selected heading is already the 279 (at least thats what i think it is) so im not sure what this rectangle does.
12) this circle. seems like an "unselected" version of 2.
13) lots of stuff here. Theres the flight path vector, another circle (kinda like 12?) some kind of arrow that points right, and a tiny little box as well next to the arrow.
14) these boxes. Ive seen them in the HMD demo video from from rockwell collins and i think they called it the "highway in the sky"?.
As a note, I'm not seeing a waterline symbol anywhere, and it should be somewhere near the fpv right? maybe its hidden behind the altimeter (there's a little dot right next to the 8 which could be it)
Another thing i see missing is a selected weapon display. That should be on the HMD shouldnt it? or is it just on the MFD?

Here's the second image:
a lot of the same elements here so im not going to number them again, but some new stuff as well.
1) Im assuming this is the selected weapon display which was missing from the last image. says something like AG, 4 SDB, ARM. Currently im planning to have at least AIM120s, AIM9Xs, JDAMS (gbu-32, 31) and possibly various AGMs and SDBs.
2) its that dotted rectangle again. this time a bit bigger.
3) red triangles. I watched a simulator demo where they dropped a few jdams and these red triangles seemed to be the assigned targets.
4) Haven't noticed these before, but there are some weird red dotted lines on the screen. They seemed to be pointing towards the jdam targets in the video I took this image from (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay6g66FbkmQ)

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post08 Sep 2014, 01:41

You may be asking questions that only an F-35 pilot or avionics technician can answer in any detail. Only my guess though. I'm interested in what the symbols mean also - when they can be seen - apparently there is a long list of symbols the pilot will learn and they are all the same between aircraft (and I'll guess in future aircraft with perhaps more symbols added).

PDF referenced below now attached:

There are several threads you might look through with two below I have in mind:

viewtopic.php?t=20144
&
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=16223&start=480 (read backwards or search)
&
http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/MICRO/ ... 1-2330.pdf (0.8Mb)

This PDF seems to be similar to the F-35 'white papers' on the cockpit display by Mike SKAFF (designer) at SLDinfo. You will find reference to these in the two thread above.
F-35 Lightning II Cockpit Vision
19 Oct 2010 Michael Skaff LM

"...Figure 7 is an example of the Tactical Situation Display (TSD) programmed into a 10 × 7 inch window. The TSD is the “one-stop-shopping” display onto which the fused and integrated tactical picture is presented. This picture allows the pilot to observe, orient, decide, and act [OODA LOOP] based on what is happening outside of the aircraft. Note that the top one inch of the display is dedicated to a portion of the system loop...."

Source: http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/MICRO/ ... 1-2330.pdf (0.8Mb)
Attachments
F-35 PCD Tactical Situation Display TSD Skaff LM.png
F-35 Lightning II Cockpit Vision SKAFF 2010-01-2330.pdf
(773.24 KiB) Downloaded 1579 times
Last edited by spazsinbad on 08 Sep 2014, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post08 Sep 2014, 02:13

ONE of the SKAFF infographics I had in mind: http://www.slideshare.net/robbinlaird/the-f35-cockpit

which can be saved as: http://www.slideshare.net/SpazSinbad/sa ... obbinlaird

which becomes: thef-35cockpitapproach-120417081628-phpapp01.pptx (1.8Mb) and I'll attach the PDF made from it. Graphic ABOVE is the same as seen on PAGE 8 of the PDF at much better quality on the PDF pages attached below.
Attachments
SKAFF The F-35 Cockpit Enabling the Pilot as a Tactical Decision Maker.pdf
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 14979 times
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post08 Sep 2014, 03:16

This site has a better TEXT explanation of the above PDF slideshow [some bits left out of course]:
&
Just for the heck of it ALL of the text is now in the PDF (text only) attached....

The F-35 Cockpit: Enabling the Pilot as a Tactical Decision Maker
A White Paper By: Lockheed Martin by Dr. Michael L. Skaff

"The highlights of the F-35 cockpit are:
1. PCD -a large Panoramic Cockpit Display (PCD) which is a 20 x 8 inch contiguous piece of glass. The pilot interacts with this display through touch, cursor hooking, and voice recognition.

2. HMD - the pilot wears a Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) in lieu of a physical

3. Head-up Display (HUD). A virtual HUD (vHUD) is projected onto the visor. The vHUD is presented to each eye and is 40 deg wide by 30 degrees tall.

4. Audio & Voice – stereo wiring is used in the headset in order to facilitate full 3-D audio as a software upgrade. A Voice Recognition System (VRS) is used for “housekeeping” chores....

... • The third slide focus upon the philosophy behind building the F-35 cockpit. The Pilot Vehicle Interface (PVI) design philosophy is “return the pilot to the role of tactician.” Managing workload and providing the tools, which will build and maintain situation awareness, accomplish this.

But more than that, information dominance is the design result. The F-35 is a complete weapon system and multiple F-35s are more than the sum of the air vehicles. When a flight or division of F-35s enters battlespace they become the dominant factor.

• The fourth slide looks at the design philosophy for the controls and displays in the cockpit. The PVI was designed by pilot for pilots. This design approach views the pilot at the center of the of the air vehicle. From this point of view two control and feedback loops exist: 1) the internal loop and 2) the external loop. The external loop is the one featured in “Top Gun.” This is the fly and fight loop, but the internal loop is equally important. The internal loop is all about getting the air vehicle safely into and out of battlespace. This is required in order to fly and fight....

... • For the eighth slide, we see three portals and 4 secondary windows. Portal one, on the left, is a large Tactical Situation Display (TSD). It is onto the format that fusion presents its view of battlespace. All F-35s share this view and contribute to its content. This is also the primary location that the pilot interacts with the air vehicle to sort and target. The two portals on the right are showing sensor data. In this case the Electro-optical Targeting System (EOTS) and the Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)....

... • The eleventh slide highlights the joint attack strike technology. The follow on contract to the MRC CRaD was called Joint Attack Strike Technology Onboard/offboard (J/OBOB). This research assumed that the 5th generation tactical fighters would be connected. They could literally have an IP address and receive intelligence feeds while airborne. This really complicated the issue of information dominance. It’s like a Google search which returns ten thousand results. You suspect the desired result is out there, but how do you get to it.

The remaining slides look at the role of the helmet within the cockpit system....
...• The thirteenth slide provides an example of the vHUD when the pilot looks directly forward where a physical HUD would be. F-35 pilots report that in about 10 minutes they become accustomed to the vHUD. The pilots recognize the potential improvements in lethality and survivability of the HMD.

• The final slide provides an example of off axis symbology. In general, Lockheed only take key flight parameters and tactical symbology off axis. In the future Lockheed will investigate off axis attitude awareness symbology. The mil standards don’t yet address HMDs and off axis symbology. Lockheed will work with the Services to improve and update The standard as well as the HMD symbology

Source: http://www.sldinfo.com/whitepapers/the- ... ion-maker/
Attachments
The F-35 Cockpit_ Enabling the Pilot as a Tactical Decision Maker _ SLDInfo TEXTonly.pdf
(56.37 KiB) Downloaded 662 times

Return to F-35 Avionics