Helmet-mounted displays

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics

by falcon.16 » 28 Sep 2020, 15:57

Is a new helmet update for the F-35 from Elbit? or is it other new option?
https://aeropathfinder.blogspot.com/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 28 Sep 2020, 16:50

Colour HMDS display is mentioned as a future upgrade earlier in this thread. Yeah colour can be spelt COLOR!
"...The main feature of organic LED is that a series of pixels light up when it receives an electric current. Light only comes on when it is needed. “You are only getting the visual information and the visual cues that are required in the display,” Ray said. As a new technology, it won’t be obsolete for quite some time. It’s also lighter and uses less power, he said. As a bonus, it allows the icons in the heads-up display to have more color. Current models are the typical monochromatic green.... viewtopic.php?f=62&t=16223&p=404868&hilit=color#p404868

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by element1loop » 29 Sep 2020, 05:33

mixelflick wrote:SU-35 pilot/helmet.

Says it all, LOL...

It's duel use though, can be legally worn as a push-bike noggin protector.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 29 Sep 2020, 05:50

VC-724 FiterPilotes Waiting for the call (FixedWingFoldingRANFAA) DELTA TREADLIES with A4G/Macchi Helmetos c.1982?

VC-724 Squadron Linebook entry - apparently RNFAA jet pilots did similar stuff practicing formations for a laff. Who Knew?
Attachments
A4GfiterPilotesDeltaTreadlyVC724linebook.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 30 Sep 2020, 13:22

element1loop wrote:
mixelflick wrote:SU-35 pilot/helmet.

Says it all, LOL...

It's duel use though, can be legally worn as a push-bike noggin protector.

I read that too, at militarywatch.com :mrgreen:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 06 Aug 2021, 23:02

An inside look at F-35 pilot helmet fittings
05 Aug 2021 Senior Airman Erica Webster, 419th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

"HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah (AFNS) -- Reservists in the 419th Operations Support Squadron play a crucial role to ensure the safety of pilots assigned to the 419th Fighter Wing, the Air Force Reserve’s only combat-capable F-35 Lightning II unit.

“We are responsible for maintaining and repairing pilot gear to ensure everything is in proper working condition,” said Staff Sgt. AJ Arteaga, 419th OSS aircrew flight equipment Reservist. “That also includes their helmet.”

Every helmet is custom-fitted to its pilot during a two-day process at a fit facility. To begin assembly of the helmet, pilots have their heads measured and scanned to secure the perfect fit. Once assembled, pilots need to have the optics aligned using a pupilometer, which measures the distance between their pupils within two millimeters of its center, so pilots see a single image on the helmet-mounted display....

...The helmet’s innovative technology and precise fit require routine maintenance so pilots can complete their mission. In addition to pre- and post-flight fittings, the helmet is inspected every 105 days and has a 120-day fit check to ensure its functionality and safety.

“Pilots come in and put on all their gear so we can double-check to make sure everything fits properly and without issue,” Arteaga said. “Small things such as a new haircut or a couple of pounds gained could cause the helmet to not fit correctly.”

Mask adjustments are also included within the helmet fitting. Pilots are sent to an oxygen tester where aircrew flight equipment technicians can identify any leaks around the mask that could prevent adequate oxygen flow.

“The next part is to ensure there is a proper distance between the mask and the visor,” Arteaga said. “We have to make sure when the pilot moves or talks, the mask doesn’t hit the visor. If it’s too close, it will bend the visor and distort the display image.”..."

Photo: "Tech. Sgt. Anthony Farnsworth, 419th Operations Support Squadron, demonstrates the F-35 Generation III Helmet-Mounted Display at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, July 10, 2021. The display provides the pilot critical information, built-in night vision, and allows a 360-degree view of the aircraft’s outside environment. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Erica Webster)" https://media.defense.gov/2021/Aug/02/2 ... 1-1908.JPG

Source: https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display ... -fittings/
Attachments
HMDSpupilometerMeasuring.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 11 Oct 2021, 15:41

:devil: HMDS Video OLDIE but GOLDIE newly refurbished for YouBOOB format. :devil:

F-35 HMDS Helmet Mounted Display System Demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGi_cwNJGkI

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 08 Dec 2021, 18:28

No subscription so only this little bit available, one may guess why USAF does not follow the USN on this 'green glow' fix?
F-35 ‘Green Glow’ Can Impact Night Ops, USAF Investigation Shows
07 Dec 2021 AvWeak

"A lingering problem with the F-35’s high-tech helmet obscuring the pilot’s vision has prompted U.S. Air Force investigators to call for adjustments to the system, while the service is not following the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps’ effort to retrofit a fix for the “green glow” issue. The problem..."

Source: https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/ ... tion-shows

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by magitsu » 08 Dec 2021, 18:58

F-35 helmets that fix ‘green glow’ are on their way — but not to the Air Force
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... air-force/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 08 Dec 2021, 19:06

magitsu wrote:F-35 helmets that fix ‘green glow’ are on their way — but not to the Air Force
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... air-force/

WOW that is a lengthy 09 Dec article 'magitsu' THANKS. Why the USAF would not follow USN/USMC on this is a mystery.
"...[Air Force spokesperson Rose Riley] said. “[The military] continues to pursue an improved Gen III helmet or the introduction of a new Gen IV helmet to provide the warfighter with the best equipment available.”...
&
...Despite the risks on display that night, the Air Force hasn’t yet joined the Navy and Marine Corps in updating the helmets for its version of the F-35 Lightning II. If it does, the earliest the new gear could arrive is in 2023...."

FOUR page PDF of article attached.
Attachments
F-35 helmets that fix ‘green glow’ are on their way — but not to the Air Force PRN pp4.pdf
(334.79 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Dec 2021, 19:53

F-35 ‘Green Glow’ Can Impact Night Ops, USAF Investigation Shows [NOW full text available - PDF to follow]
07 Dec 2021 Brian Everstine

"A lingering problem with the F-35’s high-tech helmet obscuring the pilot’s vision has prompted U.S. Air Force investigators to call for adjustments to the system, while the service is not following the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps’ effort to retrofit a fix for the “green glow” issue.

The problem forced an F-35A pilot to rapidly pull away from a wingman and refueling tanker during a night operation earlier this year because the green glow caused him to become disoriented and unable to see the nearby aircraft, according to a safety investigation report.

The Air Force incident is similar to situations that Navy and Marine Corps pilots found themselves in during dark night carrier landings, with the glow obscuring the ship and its flight deck. In response, the Navy initiated a capability requirement to address the problem, and the F-35 Joint Program Office (JPO) began a phased Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) capability development to replace the projection technology in the helmet, the JPO said in a statement.

The retrofit replaces the helmet’s liquid crystal display (LCD) with the OLED technology, which can provide a clearer image in low light. While these upgrades are underway, the Air Force and international F-35 operators have not determined a requirement for the new capability.... [then USAF night ARF incident explained]

...The F-35 pilot’s Helmet Mounted Display has three brightness settings—for night, day and auto. The day mode’s setting default is 500 foot-lamberts and the night’s default is 25 foot-lamberts. The report says the brightness in the lowest setting was a “causal factor” for the incident.

The report included a recommendation that the helmet’s brightness at its lowest level is too bright for night air-to-air refueling, and the helmet’s green lighting power output needs to be adjusted to make the lighting more dim. “This would help pilots avoid having to reposition their heads to avoid the glow,” the report says.... [then EGLIN night landing crash]

...The JPO in a statement said its development effort prioritized an immediate engineering solution for Navy and Marine Corps F-35Cs, with 62 OLED helmets already delivered. Another 62 are expected in May 2022. In September 2021, the JPO contracted with Lockheed Martin to mature the current design for a long-term fix. Once this is tested, the JPO plans to buy production and retrofit helmets for Navy and Marine Corps F-35C pilots and, if required, the rest of the F-35 community.

“The other F-35 member services of the F-35 Partnership did not prioritize the OLED capability requirement, and hence were not part of the original OLED procurement for USN and USMC,” the JPO said.

Source: https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/ ... tion-shows
Attachments
F-35 ‘Green Glow’ Can Impact Night Ops, USAF Investigation Shows Aviation Week Network pp2.pdf
(119.97 KiB) Downloaded 241 times

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 08 Jan 2022, 02:18

OLED PRODUCTION Joint Strike Fighter helmet-mounted display system 2021 Collins Aerospace
"With the desire to continually improve operations, organic light emitting diode (OLED) upgrades are currently rolling out on Gen III HMDs for pilots in very dark environmental conditions landing on aircraft carriers. The OLED integration will improve visual acuity, solving the JSF HMDS “green glow” during night time operations. OLED HMDs will be in full production in 2022."

https://www.collinsaerospace.com/-/medi ... asheet.pdf (227Kb)
Attachments
JSF F35 DATASHEET.pdf
(226.66 KiB) Downloaded 4548 times
HMDSdetailsF-35collins2021oled.gif

by chucky2 » 08 Feb 2022, 21:14

In the TV world we're all waiting for uLED (microLED, not miniLED), which is rumored to bring with it the strengths of both LED (brightness, no burn in) and OLED (true black capability, good viewing angles ((not a consideration I'd think for these helmets))). At once point the top OLED TVs still had an issue with near black shadow detail and burn-in/image retention (I know they're not the same thing), not sure if that has since been solved.

Seems like given the need for non-large screen sizes, the Mil should be pushing for uLED displays instead, assuming they do bring all the strengths/none of the weaknesses as is being hoped for in the TV world. Our folks should have the best, especially for stuff like this that counts...

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by doge » 17 Feb 2022, 17:58

F-35 pilots talked about HMD in Finland. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z780Vyes74o
"The F 35 helmet is incredibly useful" - Q&A With F-35 Pilots
Q&A session with 2 US Air Force F-35 pilots & Lockheed Martin test pilot. F-35 Media Briefing at Turku, Finland, 2019.

for my or for in my experience i'd say the helmet is incredibly useful
um you think about either an air to air or an air-to-ground mentality so for air-to-air the really nice thing is whatever i see on my scope in terms of what the enemy picture is what presentation they have.
i can make those all in a shoot list and i can look out and i can see where they're at in space even if they're miles and miles away.
so that for me again is a part of the battle space awareness that i developed in my own cockpit and my wingmen developed in their cockpit to enhance survivability.

uh additionally with the air-to-down mentality when i am able to put stuff from my tst uh tactical situation display.
that goes to my helmet so when i look out i can see where that point is on the ground.
as a young guy said with no prior background of different ways to do it honestly it's super nice especially when you look at the ability for the health to go from day to night.

and i don't have to change really anything on the helmet i don't have to put night vision goggles on.
so uh like i'm saying i don't have to change anything else i don't have to put night vision goggles on or to devise around so it's it's pretty intuitive for me as a pilot it only adds to the capabilities of the aircraft.
i've never had really an experience where it has detracted from that if that answers your question.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 05 Jun 2022, 20:42

From night vision to ground vehicles, Israeli firm Elbit eyes US expansion
02 Jun 2022 ARIE EGOZI

"In a Breaking Defense interview, CEO of Elbit's US arm Raanan Horowitz describes diverse, aggressive push in the US.

TEL AVIV: From American soldiers on the ground to F-35 pilots in the air to naval sonar operators, the Israeli firm Elbit wants its varied defense products in American servicemembers’ hands....

...But Elbit’s American arm may be better known for another visual system: the helmet mounted displays for pilots of American fighter jets and helicopters. In perhaps its most high-profile deal, Elbit is working with Collins Aerospace to produce the F-35 advanced helmet Mounted display System. The system, with built-in redundancy in case of failure, is designed to smart-stitch information into a visual display for the pilot, including a measured feed of sensor information, attack information and aircraft status data. (Israel also flies the F-35 and is credited with the plane’s first air-to-air kill after Israel said a pair of F-35s knocked out a couple drones in 2021.)

“Our broad cockpit displays portfolio, combined with our very vast experience in developing different displays for pilots should answer all the operational demands designed for the new display,” he said. “We […] expect that the new [PCD] systems will gradually be installed in all the F-35 used by the US and its allies. We will soon start to supply our systems to the US F-35 users and others all over the world.”..."

Photo: "U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Anthony Farnsworth, 419th Operations Support Squadron, poses for a photo to demonstrate the F-35 Generation III Helmet-Mounted Display at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, on July 10, 2021. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Erica Webster)" https://sites.breakingmedia.com/uploads ... 157139.jpg

Source: https://breakingdefense.com/2022/06/fro ... expansion/
Attachments
HMDS III pupilometer Measuring ED.jpg

PreviousNext