Helmet-mounted displays

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
  • Author

bojack_horseman

Unread post20 Dec 2016, 19:44

So, they identified a problem and are working on a fix.

Would this one even count as a hiccup?

maus92

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post22 Dec 2016, 01:17

bojack_horseman wrote:So, they identified a problem and are working on a fix.

Would this one even count as a hiccup?

More than a hiccup, particularly if new hardware is required. This longstanding issue was considered closed out according to proponents quoted in the press, and parroted in these boards. The latest software version was meant to tweak the illumination / gamma / contrast variables to make symbology readable without obscuring environmental details. You would expect that preliminary testing would have proved the new software worked, and maybe it did in the lab. Shipboard is another story. Friends of the program can get ahead of themselves when looking for progress to tout.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post22 Dec 2016, 01:30

'maus92' (who likes to PARROT any and all negative press about the F-35 on these boards) always knows best ahead of time. I wish I had his crystal balls - but no - I look for all and any press; and do not predict anything. So yeah let us wait for the fix. There have been many fixes for HMDS and there will be another one for this problem - but hey - don't take my prediction seriously because I do not know.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

nutshell

Unread post22 Dec 2016, 01:35

New hardware for what is a simple gamma correction?

Do you buy a new TFT matrix when your TV/Monitor uses too much blue or red?

"ehy, my nba2k17 game is too dark, I might buy a new graphic card/console". :doh:

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post22 Dec 2016, 01:40

For 'maus92' every F-35 molehill problem is a mountain problem - you'll get used to it. I'll await the fix. There have been HMDS fixes for everything so far except this particular problem under discussion. F-35B/C pilots must be able to see what can be seen on dark moonless nights at sea - these conditions apparently cannot be replicated ashore - therefore testing without being at sea etc. is problematic. Given the HMDS fix track record it seems it will be figured out. So far we have seen B&Cs operating at sea at night so there must be workaround/usability for the HMDS system. However it is not ideal.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

nutshell

Unread post22 Dec 2016, 01:48

This "issue" shouldn't even be mentioned; since we're talking about some fine tuning on the firmware used in the F35 HMDS.

Slow and clunky but that's about it.

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post22 Dec 2016, 02:04

Maus in DOT&E would be a nice fit. :D
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post23 Dec 2016, 03:32

Who needs Gilmore when maus92 is on it?
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

maus92

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post23 Dec 2016, 18:38

I know reading comprehension is hard, but Bogdan says new hardware is the long term fix, with additional firmware tweaks and procedural changes to mitigate the issue in the interim. If you go back through this forum, and in press / paid speech defense sites, the "green glow" issue had reportedly been resolved, and now we find out from the PEO that it has not. The program and its PR apparatus still have a credibility problem.

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Dec 2016, 18:53

The Green Glow issue may very well be resolved as far as the pilots flying it are concerned, but not to the satisfaction of Gilmore.

There have been a few quotes so far from pilots stating that it's not an issue for them.

Before you say "It only matters what Gilmore says", his department is still complaining about the Superhornet's radar but you will hear the pilots swear by it.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Dec 2016, 19:06

maus92 wrote:I know reading comprehension is hard, but Bogdan says new hardware is the long term fix, with additional firmware tweaks and procedural changes to mitigate the issue in the interim. If you go back through this forum, and in press / paid speech defense sites, the "green glow" issue had reportedly been resolved, and now we find out from the PEO that it has not. The program and its PR apparatus still have a credibility problem.

As do you. As does the Super Hornet
Last edited by XanderCrews on 23 Dec 2016, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Choose Crews

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Dec 2016, 19:07

SpudmanWP wrote:The Green Glow issue may very well be resolved as far as the pilots flying it are concerned, but not to the satisfaction of Gilmore.

There have been a few quotes so far from pilots stating that it's not an issue for them.

Before you say "It only matters what Gilmore says", his department is still complaining about the Superhornet's radar but you will hear the pilots swear by it.

Also says the Super Hornet and growlers are not operationally effective. Maus oh maus?
Choose Crews

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post24 Dec 2016, 00:23

My reply is on the Gilmore thead...

viewtopic.php?p=358789#p358789

BP

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post24 Dec 2016, 00:44

“The symbology on the helmet, even when turned down as low as it can, is still a little too bright,” (Bogdan)

That's it guys. It "is still a little too bright" at the lowest end of the scale in the lowest light environments, at sea. It's not BLINDING anyone...

:roll:

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post02 Jan 2017, 19:35

This 8 page PDF F-35 article from Popular Science Jan-Feb 2016 has a lot of material about the FMS/HMDS (pictures) so I'll plonk it here. It has some 'sensational not quite correct factoids' and it is a bit all over the place - so beware....

I do not know about others however for a few days I'm regularly shut out of this forum 'website not found' so ?????....
THE LAST FIGHTER PILOT
Jan-Feb 2016 Kevin Gray

"The new F-35 fighter jet is so sophisticated, so automated, so connected, it's fuelling a debate: do pilots still need to fly?...

...The cost of training can be staggering: The Air Force spends $14,183 an hour to fly a single F-35A, according to the 2015 Department of Defense Budget. That's just in peacetime training. Budgeting 13 hours of crew time per month, that equals $2.2 million a year, for one crew's training. When its F-3 5 training program is fully running in a few years, Luke will have 144 of those planes. Each squad[ron] on the base will be made up of 24 aircraft with several hundred support personnel. When you do the math, people are expensive and impractical....

...Nearby stands a two-story stucco building with a soaring atrium and a pitched roof that resemble jet wings. Recently constructed, it looks like a Southwestern high school, but it is a $47 million training center. Inside it smells like new carpet and holds some 18 classrooms, a 240-seat auditorium, a vast expanse of as-yet-to-be-used cubicles, and, tucked behind heavily guarded double security doors, space for 12 brand-new, state-of-the-art, F-35 flight simulators that cost $23 million apiece....

...Hierlmeier leads me through two locked doors and into a vertiginous hall that looks like something out of a Dr. Seuss book: Every 15 feet or so, asymmetrical arches painted in disorienting reds and gray, recede down the hall, flanked by blue police strobes. Hierlmeier is not sure why, but they seem meant to confuse intruders. From hidden speakers, a Thin Lizzy song overpowers our discussion: The drinks will flow and the blood will spill/ and if the boys want to fight, you better let them. When I ask if it's to amp up student pilots, Hierlmeier, who is serious, says: "No. There are a lot of classified conversations taking place behind these walls. It's meant to cover them up."...

...We stop at a double door the size of a loading dock. Hierlmeier opens it onto what looks like an amusement-park ride. A white dome, 11 feet in diameter, sits in the middle of the room, surrounded by a massive steel frame and 25 high-definition projectors. A replica F-35 cockpit sits on tracks that disappear into the dome. I ask if I can take a picture. No, says Hierlmeier. But he does invite me to sit in the cockpit, which I do. It's like sitting in a lowriding Italian sports car. Before they ever get to fly an actual F-35, the student pilots must first spend a month in class practicing on computer monitors with joysticks. Then they do 30 hours inside these simulators, helmets on. Those helmets, made by defense contractor Rockwell Colli11s, are custom-built [shell individually tailored - outer helmet comes in three standard sizes] for each pilot and cost upwards of $400,000 apiece. "It's like wearing a laptop on your head," Hierlmeier says of their computing power.

The sims are the most advanced virtual-reality experience on the planet. A pilot hops into the cockpit and rolls into the dome on the track. Clack. Clack. Clack. Once inside, the projectors shoot Google Earth-quality images of clouds and shadow, mountain ranges rushing past, dusty neighborhoods 30,000 feet below. There are rural landing strips, enemy jets ahead, and missiles whizzing your way. It's an immersive 360-degree view-with sound effects. Like the F-35s themselves, the simulators are connected to a secure ground server and linked to each other. That way pilots can train together, in separate rooms, on tactical missions. These sims will one day be linked to other fighter-jet simulators at Air Force training bases around the U.S.

And that's where it gets interesting. Hierlmeier is a student of technology, and grew up reading science fiction and watching Star Wars. Standing outside the cockpit, he peers into the darkened dome, and says he believes we will one day fight our enemies from inside one of these things. When I ask what that will take, he says flatly, "Bandwidth."..."

Source: Popular Science January-February 2016 Vol 288 No.1
Attachments
Last Fighter PILOT HMDS Popular Science USA JanFeb 2016 pp8.pdf
(4.58 MiB) Downloaded 499 times
HMDSpopsciJanFeb2016cover.jpg
HMDSpopsciJanFeb2016graphic.gif
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 Avionics