Helmet-mounted displays

Cockpit, radar, helmet-mounted display, and other avionics
  • Author

count_to_10

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post04 Jun 2016, 02:17

KamenRiderBlade wrote:The M3 "Macross Missile Massacre" works in Macross because

1) It's fiction, so budgets don't matter
2) They usually use Micro missiles that are much smaller than AIM-120 AMRAAM's and all their targets are WVR
3) The M3 attack is a horribly inefficient way of killing 1 target

Actually, in a situation where the target has active defense mechanisms, missile swarms are a valid tactic for overwhelming that defense.

That said, Macross uses missile swarms because it's more visually entertaining than a single missile, no other reason.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post28 Jun 2016, 18:31

F-35A nearly combat ready
27 Jun 2016 Kari Tilton, 419th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

"...In May, Hill’s F-35 pilots began flying routine four-ship configurations. Hill’s fleet of F-35 aircraft has also received lightning protection and anti-ice modifications, and pilots are now using the lightweight “Gen-3” helmet...."

Source: http://www.tyndall.af.mil/News/tabid/66 ... ready.aspx
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

zerion

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post17 Aug 2016, 00:26

Pilots to Test Fix for F-35 Helmet ‘Green Glow’ Problem

ABOARD THE USS GEORGE WASHINGTON — In coming days, five test pilots here will begin conducting night trials with a new software load for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter helmet that they believe will spell the end to a troubling issue.

Adjustments that decrease the contrast of the Generation III helmet-mounted display should allow pilots of the F-35C to land on aircraft carriers without having their view obscured by the display’s ambient light, said Tom Briggs, acting chief test engineer for the Navy.

The service tried out a different fix on its last round of carrier tests aboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower in 2015, but test pilots ultimately concluded they hadn’t completely solved the issue.

“You could describe it as looking through a dirty window,” Briggs said. “It’s not so bad on a really bright night. On a dark night it skewers outside light references for pilots. A pilot cannot pick up the lights on the carrier as well as he’d like to, he doesn’t necessarily pick up non-lighted signals on the ship as he’s taxiing around, he has a harder time picking out aircraft that are flying around.

“You could describe it as looking through a dirty window,” Briggs said. “It’s not so bad on a really bright night. On a dark night it skewers outside light references for pilots. A pilot cannot pick up the lights on the carrier as well as he’d like to, he doesn’t necessarily pick up non-lighted signals on the ship as he’s taxiing around, he has a harder time picking out aircraft that are flying around.”

At $400,000 apiece, the F-35’s helmet is as high-tech as the aircraft itself, with display features that let pilots “see” through the plane’s skin and receive constantly updated information on the visor. The “green glow” problem with this visor display obscuring the field beyond it in dark conditions was first reported in 2012.

Briggs said two pilots had reported good results in an initial test with the new helmet update and officials were hopeful they have found the right solution. It’s especially crucial that this round of fixes works because the Navy is beginning to conduct carrier qualifications for operational pilots as well as test pilots on the F-35C, and they won’t be able to complete night qualifications until the problem is resolved.

Capt. James Christie, commanding officer of Strike Fighter Squadron-101, which had 12 pilot-instructors complete daytime carrier qualifications on the F-35C this week, said he hoped software updates would be approved and close to being retrofitted to all F-35 helmets by the end of the year.
Christie said the decreased contrast setting is likely to help all pilots who operate in especially dark environments, without aid from the ‘cultural light’ of nearby cities. But on carriers out in the middle of the ocean, it was crucial.

“I think we just kind of stomped our feet and said, ”we need to have this to be safe around the ship,'” he said.

Briggs said nighttime helmet tests were expected to kick off Aug. 20, during the darkest phase of the moon.

“So we’re going to go out on a really dark night and we’re going to do our final evaluation on the green glow,” he said. “And we think that that problem is solved.”

The third and final round of carrier tests for the F-35C will continue until Aug. 23. The aircraft, which will be used by both the Navy and the Marine Corps for carrier operations, is expected to reach initial operational capability near the end of 2018.

http://www.defensetech.org/2016/08/16/p ... w-problem/

maus92

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post17 Aug 2016, 00:52

The fandom / shills pronounced the "green glow" issued fixed a while back. Hopefully the new low contrast mode makes it suitable for shipboard operations.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post17 Aug 2016, 01:27

Oh 'maus92' what else can the fans know except what the 'shills' tell us? I'm so pleased we have you to put us all straight.

Meanwhile:
"...“So we’re going to go out on a really dark night and we’re going to do our final evaluation on the green glow,” he said. “And we think that that problem is solved.”..."
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post17 Aug 2016, 01:32

Your concern is noted Maus :devil:
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 Aug 2016, 05:06

Lara does not seem to know THE FIX is probably in - but we don't know the result of above DARK NIGHT testing do we.

GO HERE FOR A BIG BEGINNING BIT: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=52276&p=351276&hilit=Seligman#p351276
Weapons Tester Cites Further F-35 Challenges
23 Aug 2016 Lara Seligman

"...Finally, the 3i jets have limited night vision capability, as the $400,000 Generation III helmet is still experiencing issues with light leakage and “green glow” that obscures pilots’ vision during very dark night flights...."

Source: http://aviationweek.com/defense/weapons ... ent-440751

Gums

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post27 Aug 2016, 04:16

Salute!

Been following discussion here to some extent, but more over on the main forum.

From the HUD-experienced crowd, the initial reaction to a complete helmet visor display that would not only provide target cue functions but replace the fixed HUD on the glareshield was...... well, YGBSM.

- I can't easily de-clutter the basic HUD flight path. alt. attitude, speed, etc stuff very easily when the employment stuff is of primary interest.

- I am worried that the cosmic helmet avionics will go west before the old-fashioned HUD's would because of 50 years of experience and trials and versions and.....

- I was worried that the mechanization of the helmet view would be more skewed to aircraft/body coordinate values than to inertial coordinates. Seems that was the case. In other words, we see the "jitter" and such when the jet is in the buffet and our head is pounding up/down/sideways and so forth. A "pure" inertial reference for my head and the attached helmet would be like an independent inertial platform that was tied to the jet's basic position in space. Much smoother display.

So we had the intitial problems with the jitter in the HUD display and such due to the jet's buffet at high AoA. I am sure that the soulution was very hard to implement and the whole concept was not well-thot out in the early days by the folks defining the requirements and the folks trying to meet those requirements that should have said the goal would be hard to reach and cost a bunch.

Make no mistake. I like the idea of tgt acquisition and engagement stuff displayed in my helmet visor. I do not like replacing the old-fashioned flight path/attitude stuff we had in the A-7, F-14, F-15, F-16 F-18, Jaguar, Tornado and so on. If nothing more, a simple HUD on the glareshield would be a backup that was easy to impement and damned cheap.

- the glare problem is no surprise to this old fart. Optical coatings on the visor and spectral filters can only do so much. The glare problem has been around since the early days of HUD's. I saw it in 1971( Sluf) and later in 1979 ( Viper). Marconi had super coatings on the lenses and our ground troops took really great care of the combining glasses. Nevertheless, when the sun rays hit the projection lens at certain angles we had problems.

- FINALLY!

We would not be discussing this if USAF/USN/USMC had not made the cosmic HUD a requirement versus an add-on later in the life of the jet. Replacing the basic HUD to display flight path, alt and speed was a poor decision. I would have fought to retain a basic HUD on the glareshield and initially use the helmet display for targeting and such. Also make the helmet display referenced to body inertials with body attitude used for weapon aiming and acquisition and such like we had in the old jets from late'60's. GASP! So easy compared to what we have gone thru.

I think many folks defining the requirements related to fixed, desktop display systems of flight models and such, If their desktop display was shaking and twisting and such, then they would have seen the "problem". Too bad I wasn't there. I had to fight with the sftwe pukes for the Maverick inmplentation on the A-12 and then on later jets and retrofit projects. Perfect display of sensor and aircraft attitude at high frame rates was terrible. We needed a fair amount of "smoothing". and we also needed our OS frame rate to be ahead of the display and weapon video rates to accomodate the "smoothing" function while maintaining accuracy. Oh well.........

Gums sends.....
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Aug 2016, 04:32

It's a shame so often things seem to happen in a bubble. How often have we reinvented the wheel because we didn't take advantage of prior knowledge/experience? I'd have thought the FIRST thing they'd have done would be to scour the archives for previous similar efforts, tracked down as many of those involved still living as possible, and picked their brains. :doh:
"There I was. . ."

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Aug 2016, 04:38

Notwithstanding all the good advice above (cannot be implemented now though) IF I remember correctly the comments from old and bold F-35 pilots was that it takes about 50 hours to get used to the HMDS but then one cannot do without it/go back.

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post27 Aug 2016, 07:08

spazsinbad wrote:Notwithstanding all the good advice above (cannot be implemented now though) IF I remember correctly the comments from old and bold F-35 pilots was that it takes about 50 hours to get used to the HMDS but then one cannot do without it/go back.

And you have to remember that the new pilots will have trained for 50,000 hours on cardboard VR cell phones since they were 3 years old. :D :D :wink:

BP

(of course I am worried we may have trouble finding kids with 20/20 to become pilots, after all those screen hours. But hey, with their strengthened "texting all day/hunchback of ND" neck muscles, they can eject safely at light weights!)

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Aug 2016, 08:24

Some info on 'de-clutter' on this thread - there will be other references also: (I'll assume FMS HMDS view same as aircraft). As I recall other 'declutter quotes' do not specify details, such as shown below. More text at forum jump here below p.39.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=16223&p=288642&hilit=Strally+de+cluttered#p288642
Enhancing HMD-Based F-35 Training through Integration of Eye Tracking and Electroencephalography Technology
05 Apr 2015 Meredith Carroll, Glenn Surpris, Shayna Strally, Matthew Archer, Frank Hannigan, Kelly Hale, and Wink Bennett | Design Interactive, Oviedo, Florida

"...The FMS is a high fidelity flight simulator which contains a full 1-to-1 replication of the F-35 cockpit surrounded by a dome with almost 360 degrees of visual coverage. The pilot trainee is outfitted with an HMD visor that reveals a HUD fixed on the center windscreen. Additionally, a de-cluttered, un-fixed version of the main HUD with a reduced selection of essential symbols (e.g., airspeed, altitude) appears on the HMD when the pilot turns his/her head off bore-sight (i.e., left, right, up, or down)...."

Source: download/file.php?id=20448 (PDF 200Kb)

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post27 Aug 2016, 17:58

Gums wrote:Salute!

Been following discussion here to some extent, but more over on the main forum.

I think many folks defining the requirements related to fixed, desktop display systems of flight models and such, If their desktop display was shaking and twisting and such, then they would have seen the "problem".... Oh well.........

Gums sends.....

If you really want to know how old we are Gums ...

Kids now a days don't have desktops, nor are they playing Microsoft Simulator on multi screen Mega towers, like dad did when he was a kid.

They are glued to hand held tablet type devices, seat-belted in the side facing back seat of Grandpa BP's Ford Ranger pickup truck, as he navigates the switchbacking, washboard dirt roads at unsafe speeds, going to stay at Aunt Auddie's house in the mountains of Colorado.

They know jitter. :D They live it and breath it.
I hear it all the time - "Grandpa!!! I died! slow down!"

Doesn't mean that you aren't right, that the program does have some thinking and clean up to do ... Just saying...

We really aren't in Kansas anymore. The new pilots of 2025 are 15-16 years old today, ... and watch out!. Our rockin chairs are about to fall off the porch, dude :)
BP

neptune

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post27 Aug 2016, 18:33

[quote="Gums"]Salute!..- I am worried that the cosmic helmet avionics will go west before the old-fashioned HUD's would because of 50 years of experience and trials and versions and......... I would have fought to retain a basic HUD on the glare shield and initially use the helmet display for targeting and such. ..quote]

IMHO..after dabbling around with VR googles, leads me to sort of agree (today)....also, since the cosmic (basic HUD) display has been developed; re-displaying it by fiber would be a minimal effort on an added (future) HUD display as desired.
:)

I'm intrigued by the paper on the eye tracking and EEG integration in the "brain bucket". I had some successes in medical research with primitive (early) EEG tracking??? 8)

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Aug 2016, 19:54

First Fleet F35-C Carrier Qualifications, Final Round of Testing Conducted at Sea
26 Aug 2016 Donna Cipolloni, Naval Air Station Patuxent River Public Affairs; Story Number: NNS160826-12

"...Other testing involved improved nighttime visibility for the aircraft's third generation helmet, which displays symbology right on the pilot's visor.

"I don't have to look down for a piece of info on one display, then to another display and correlate it all in my head; everything appears in the helmet," Dyckman said. "When I look out, even if I'm looking away from where I'm going, I can see my target information, airspeed, altitude, threats. With this airplane, I basically have a display with my aircraft in the center and it presents information for situational awareness."..."

Source: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=96397
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 Avionics