Barnes ANG: F-15EX or F-35s?

F-35 unit & base selection, delivery, activation
  • Author

daswp

Unread post23 Aug 2022, 04:02

Corsair1963 wrote:
Well, Barnes really wants the F-35A like everyone else. Yet, my guess is they'll get the F-15EX along with New Orleans.

Also, I expect the two F-15C Squadrons (44th and 67th) on Okinawa (Kadena) to get new F-35As. As just can't see them getting F-15EXs while on China's doorstep!

I hope LA ANG gets EX's, I have decals and a conversion kit to make a model if they are selected. :mrgreen:

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 Aug 2022, 01:55

daswp wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:
Well, Barnes really wants the F-35A like everyone else. Yet, my guess is they'll get the F-15EX along with New Orleans.

Also, I expect the two F-15C Squadrons (44th and 67th) on Okinawa (Kadena) to get new F-35As. As just can't see them getting F-15EXs while on China's doorstep!

I hope LA ANG gets EX's, I have decals and a conversion kit to make a model if they are selected. :mrgreen:

I hope they cancel the F-15EX and buy more F-35As. Far more concern with the defense of the nation.........(just saying) :wink:

mixelflick

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 Aug 2022, 14:26

daswp wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

Are you talking plastic models?

I wasn't aware there was a F-15C to F-15EX conversion kit out. Although they look almost identical to the general public, they are in fact very different IMO. The 2 piece cockpit/canopy, the symmetrical tips on the vertical stabilizers and those gorgeous GE F-110's. The F-110's apparently give it some serious "oomph", per the "we got higher and faster with the new motors" comment from Northern Edge.

Bear in mind he was comparing the EX to an F-15C in that regard, which is among the best in the world at "high and fast"...

daswp

Unread post24 Aug 2022, 16:03

mixelflick wrote:Are you talking plastic models?

I wasn't aware there was a F-15C to F-15EX conversion kit out. Although they look almost identical to the general public, they are in fact very different IMO. The 2 piece cockpit/canopy, the symmetrical tips on the vertical stabilizers and those gorgeous GE F-110's. The F-110's apparently give it some serious "oomph", per the "we got higher and faster with the new motors" comment from Northern Edge.

Bear in mind he was comparing the EX to an F-15C in that regard, which is among the best in the world at "high and fast"...

F-15E to F-15EX conversion set.

f119doctor

Unread post24 Aug 2022, 16:33

mixelflick wrote:

Always amazed when the F110-129 engines are praised for their amazing performance in the F-15EX when compared to the F100-220 engines in the F-15C. They only have 3K higher Mil / 5K higher Max thrust per engine than the -220. A better comparison would F-15E with F100-229 engines under similar load conditions. I know that there is some data that the -129 has higher thrust that the -229 under some flight conditions (but weighs 400 lbs more per engine), but the performance comparison would be much less dramatic.

One thing I will be interested to see going forward will be if the USAF keeps the -129 nozzle external flaps installed on the EX. There were two F-15E equipped with -129 engines at Nellis AFB in the late 1990s under a service evaluation program. One of the first issues they ran into was wear / damage to the nozzle external flaps. The -229 composite turkey feathers proved they could survive in the F-15 aft turbulent flow field, but the USAF made the decision to leave them off their F-15Es for cost and maintenance access reasons.
P&W FSR (retired) - TF30 / F100 /F119 /F135

mixelflick

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 Aug 2022, 17:07

f119doctor wrote:
mixelflick wrote:

Always amazed when the F110-129 engines are praised for their amazing performance in the F-15EX when compared to the F100-220 engines in the F-15C. They only have 3K higher Mil / 5K higher Max thrust per engine than the -220. A better comparison would F-15E with F100-229 engines under similar load conditions. I know that there is some data that the -129 has higher thrust that the -229 under some flight conditions (but weighs 400 lbs more per engine), but the performance comparison would be much less dramatic.

One thing I will be interested to see going forward will be if the USAF keeps the -129 nozzle external flaps installed on the EX. There were two F-15E equipped with -129 engines at Nellis AFB in the late 1990s under a service evaluation program. One of the first issues they ran into was wear / damage to the nozzle external flaps. The -229 composite turkey feathers proved they could survive in the F-15 aft turbulent flow field, but the USAF made the decision to leave them off their F-15Es for cost and maintenance access reasons.

I'm aware Pratt's 229 is comparable, and in some cases "better". But my praise for the GE motors was a direct comparison to what's flying on the F-15C, not the F-15E. I'm a HUGE fan of Pratt engines BTW, as they're local and well, make great engines. I was told by an F-35 pilot that someone left the air intake cover on and unfortunately, got sucked into the engine. The pilot stated he heard a slight "cough" and.... nothing. "Chewed it up and spit it out like it was another day at the office*."

Anyway, I hope that helps you understand my commentary on the F-110. It was within the F-15C/F-15EX context...

*Best airshow moment in history, and nothing was even flying. There was an old timer (very old) man listening that worked at Pratt's main plant up here his entire life. I will never, ever forget the look of pride on his face after hearing the pilot rave about that engine. It was a very, very cool moment..

mixelflick

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post20 Jan 2023, 20:04

Another week goes by, yet nothing from USAF?

This has gone way, way past what they forecast (multiple times) as to when we could expect to hear something. Even for the US gov't, they're really dragging their feet. I'm getting a very uneasy feeling. Hope I'm wrong but everything central to the process has been done for awhile now, including formal evaluation, public comment period etc. and still, nothing.

One would think that for such an important unit (responsible for protecting the entire Northeast), they would have put forth a decision by now. I wonder what the holdup is...

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post21 Jan 2023, 00:04

mixelflick wrote:Another week goes by, yet nothing from USAF?

This has gone way, way past what they forecast (multiple times) as to when we could expect to hear something. Even for the US gov't, they're really dragging their feet. I'm getting a very uneasy feeling. Hope I'm wrong but everything central to the process has been done for awhile now, including formal evaluation, public comment period etc. and still, nothing.

One would think that for such an important unit (responsible for protecting the entire Northeast), they would have put forth a decision by now. I wonder what the holdup is...

Remember, they cut back on the F-15EX order from 144 to 80. So, combined with the F-35 shortfalls. They may not have enough to either type for Barnes at the moment!

mixelflick

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post21 Jan 2023, 16:36

Corsair1963 wrote:

Remember, they cut back on the F-15EX order from 144 to 80. So, combined with the F-35 shortfalls. They may not have enough to either type for Barnes at the moment!

Man that's sad. They're going to literally fly the wings off these jets, it'll probably take some kind of wake up call for them to actually do something about it. How USAF went from dominating with large numbers of F-15's, 16's to this whack a mole/band-aid thing is beyond me.

Gross mismanagement IMO.

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post21 Jan 2023, 21:21

mixelflick wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

Man that's sad. They're going to literally fly the wings off these jets, it'll probably take some kind of wake up call for them to actually do something about it. How USAF went from dominating with large numbers of F-15's, 16's to this whack a mole/band-aid thing is beyond me.

Gross mismanagement IMO.

They need to buy more F-35s pure in simple! You have to keep numbers up or repeat the mistakes that killed the B-2 and F-22...

Buying more F-15EXs is hurting the F-35 Program and just pushing up costs and for what? :?
Previous

Return to F-35 Units