VMFA(AW)-242 to swap F/A-18D for F-35B from October

F-35 unit & base selection, delivery, activation
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 24 Oct 2020, 06:33

Second F-35B Squadron Officially Established In Indo-Pacific Region With The Redesignation Of VMFA-242
23 Oct 2020 1st Marine Aircraft Wing

"IWAKUNI, Japan -- On October 16, Marine Aircraft Group 12 re-designated Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 242 to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 242 as part of the Marine Corps’ ongoing transition process from legacy F/A-18 Hornet aircraft to the newer 5th generation F-35B Lightning II. This transition is in accordance with mutual agreements between the U.S. and the Government of Japan, and occurred on schedule per the annual Marine Corps aviation plan.

The F-35 represents the future of Marine Corps tactical aviation and will eventually replace the AV-8B Harrier, the F/A-18 Hornet, and the EA-6B Prowler in all units across the Marine Corps. MAG-12 received the first forward-stationed F-35B squadron in January, 2017 when VMFA-121 was relocated to Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan. With the addition of VMFA-242, MAG-12 is now the only overseas unit with two permanently stationed F-35B squadrons...."

Source: https://www.marines.mil/News/News-Displ ... th-the-re/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 26 Oct 2020, 02:05

Just another headache for the Chinese Military!

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jessmo112 » 04 Nov 2020, 02:13

message-editor_1604441990761-cvw.jpg
I have a question for yoy guys.
I recently saw this chart for future squadrens
Thats seems very low for what America needs versus a peer.
Of the 16 F-35C embarked will that include marine numbers or is that discounting the marines.
Are we talking 26 F-35s when you add 10 marines strike jets?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 Nov 2020, 03:09

Would and will be always nice to have a reference for information including an URL for the CONTEXT IN IT - thanks. :bang:

With STINGRAY tankers onboard all the Super Hornets are strike aircraft, why do there need to be more F-35Cs? The graphic from whatever source is what it is. There are other fast jets onboard then helos and V-22s. Do we know the composition of USMC F-35C squadrons? NOT that I know and why would they not match the USN F-35C squadron numbers to fit into the equation (especially if they are the only F-35C squadron onboard at the time). I'm always amazed by the lack of acceptance of OFFICIAL (if that is what this graphic is & not some 'pie in the sky maybe' idea) FUTURE whatevers.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 04 Nov 2020, 03:34

jessmo112 wrote:
message-editor_1604441990761-cvw.jpg
I have a question for yoy guys.
I recently saw this chart for future squadrens
Thats seems very low for what America needs versus a peer.
Of the 16 F-35C embarked will that include marine numbers or is that discounting the marines.
Are we talking 26 F-35s when you add 10 marines strike jets?

I would assume USMC F-35C Units would also have 16 aircraft. Yet, I am just speculating....

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by jessmo112 » 04 Nov 2020, 03:41

spazsinbad wrote:Would and will be always nice to have a reference for information including an URL for the CONTEXT IN IT - thanks. :bang:

With STINGRAY tankers onboard all the Super Hornets are strike aircraft, why do there need to be more F-35Cs? The graphic from whatever source is what it is. There are other fast jets onboard then helos and V-22s. Do we know the composition of USMC F-35C squadrons? NOT that I know and why would they not match the USN F-35C squadron numbers to fit into the equation (especially if they are the only F-35C squadron onboard at the time). I'm always amazed by the lack of acceptance of OFFICIAL (if that is what this graphic is & not some 'pie in the sky maybe' idea) FUTURE whatevers.

Here is the article in question.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... -squadrons.

16 seems like its to low. Im assuming (or maybe im just the a** in assume) that by 2030 the navy will face red air 5th generation fighters. Just barely squadrens dont be enough jets to go down town and hit targets AND hunt down stealthy attack planes.
Spaz I await your commentary on this issue with baited breath.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 04 Nov 2020, 04:16

spazsinbad wrote:Would and will be always nice to have a reference for information including an URL for the CONTEXT IN IT - thanks. :bang:

The USN/USMC really wanted enough F-35C's to field two F-35C Squadrons per CVW. (10 aircraft each) Yet, the budget just wasn't there...

So, my "guess" is the number did support "16" aircraft. So, they just adjusted the new Air Wing to reflect that.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 Nov 2020, 05:58

'jessmo112' I'll presume you meant this: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/with--bated--breath Otherwise I ain't takin' dat bait. Commenting on DRIVE by B/S is not worth my time nor yours. Who knows what 2030 will bring let alone tomorra.

Ten years ago in 2010 approx. the F-35C could not catch a break let alone a wire. So you want to know what is happening in 2030? I'll let you know then. AFAIK the USMC have not decided upon make up of their F-35 squadrons - just talked about a change without a final word. So I'll wait for that also. As suggested perhaps like other things they'll match USN F-35Cs.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 04 Nov 2020, 07:30

Honestly, the USN maybe just playing a little politics. Hoping to get additional funding from the Congress. So, they could field two F-35C's Squadrons with 10 aircraft each vs one with 16 aircraft.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit..... :wink:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 04 Nov 2020, 23:46

jessmo112 wrote:

Here is the article in question.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... -squadrons.

16 seems like its to low. Im assuming (or maybe im just the a** in assume) that by 2030 the navy will face red air 5th generation fighters. Just barely squadrens dont be enough jets to go down town and hit targets AND hunt down stealthy attack planes.
Spaz I await your commentary on this issue with baited breath.

Super hornets first deployed on CVNs in small numbers and their critical contribution was mostly as tankers.

you have to start somewhere.]

took decades for SH to become the "main battery"
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Sep 2021, 02:53

Another Japan-based F-35 squadron is ready for operations [IOC] [VIDEO at the URL]
10 Sep 2021 Mike Yeo

"MELBOURNE, Australia — A second U.S. Marine Corps squadron in Japan has declared its F-35B fighters are ready for operations, less than a year after officially kicking off the process of transitioning to the stealthy fifth-generation aircraft.

The 1st Marine Aircraft Wing announced Thursday that Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 242 attained initial operational capability with the Lockheed Martin-made jet, 10 months after transitioning away from the Boeing-made F/A-18D Hornet.

Maj. Douglas Kansier, operations officer of VMFA-242, said attaining IOC means the squadron is now “taskable and combat capable on a limited basis” while it works toward becoming fully combat capable.

The latter will see the squadron train pilots and maintainers so it can fulfill a broader mission set. Under the 2019 Marine Corps Aviation Plan, the squadron is slated to receive a full complement of 16 F-35Bs by fiscal 2023.

The squadron, which is nicknamed the Bats, is based at Marine Combat Air Station Iwakuni in Yamaguchi prefecture, located at the southern end of the main Japanese island of Honshu near the city of Hiroshima...."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/global/asia ... perations/

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 21 May 2022, 20:18

Second Iwakuni-Based F-35B Squadron Achieves Full Operational Capability
20 May 2022 Seapower Staff

"IWAKUNI, YAMAGUCHI, Japan — On May 17, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 242 achieved full operational capability and is now ready to support the full complement of its missions, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing said May 19.

A significant part of this milestone is the establishment of 32 F-35B aircraft permanently forward-based as part of Marine Aircraft Group 12, ready to support a free and open Indo-Pacific. This transition occurred on schedule per the annual Marine Corps’ aviation plan.

The F-35 Lightning II represents the future of Marine Corps tactical aviation and will eventually replace the AV-8B Harrier II and the F/A-18 Hornet in all units across the Marine Corps. On Oct. 16, 2020, VMFA-242, known as the “Bats,” was re-designated as an F-35B squadron and, on Sept. 9, 2021, the squadron attained initial operational capability...."

Photo: "A U.S. Marine Corps F-35B Lightning II aircraft with Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 242 lands at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, in 2021 during a joint training evolution with Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force assets. U.S. MARINE CORPS / Lance Cpl. Tyler Harmon" https://seapowermagazine.org/wp-content ... -Lands.jpg (1Mb)

Source: https://seapowermagazine.org/second-iwa ... apability/
Attachments
F-35BlandVMFA-242IwakuniZOOMtail.jpg
F-35BlandVMFA-242Iwakuni.jpg

Previous