'Green Knights' The F-35B in service with VMFA-121

F-35 unit & base selection, delivery, activation
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 01 Jun 2014, 06:57

‘Green Knights’ The F-35B in service with VMFA-121
May 2014 Gary Wetzel http://www.combataircraft.net
Combat Aircraft Monthly May 2014 Vol 15, No 5

"Since the first F-35B arrived at MCAS Yuma, Arizona on November 16, 2012, VMFA-121 has made tremendous gains as it proceeds toward an initial operating capability (IOC) target of July 2015. Every step forward, no matter how minute, is part of a carefully-crafted plan designed to move the Marine Corps firmly into the leading edge of F-35 operations....

...One of the biggest reasons for the delay in proceeding at full rate with STOVL qualifications was completion of the new auxiliary landing field (ALF). This is replacing Aux 2, which had been the Harrier fleet’s lone facility for conducting vertical landing and take-offs and short-take offs for decades. The new ALF will more realistically replicate landings on the LHA/LHD assault ships that will deploy with F-35s as the central part of their strike force. It will have two different ‘decks’ to choose from, one each basically pointing north and south to take advantage of the prevailing winds around MCAS Yuma. Better training for F-35 operations, as well as the Harrier and rotary-wing platforms, will thus be provided.

STOVL operations
Lt Col Gillette also spoke about the ease of STOVL flight in the F-35 and what that means to his squadron and future USMC F-35 units. ‘I was an F/A-18 guy, so landing a jet vertically was something completely new to me. What I will tell you, from the experience of going through STOVL training and then going out and executing the shortened take-off, or slow landing, and then the vertical landing, is that this is something the engineers at Lockheed Martin got 100 per cent correct. It is amazingly easy to be extremely precise in the Mode 4, which is what we call VL. The beauty of the flight control logic is that it never changes regardless of the flight control mode you are in. So, imagine I am flying conventionally: if I want to go up, I pull back on the stick, and if I want to go down I push forward. Same for left or right. If I want to go forward I push ahead on the throttle and if I want to slow down I pull the throttle aft. That is also the basic control law the F-35 flies in what we call ‘up and away’, which is just normal conventional flight. When you transition to Mode 4, or STOVL, the flight control logic does not change as I decelerate and come to a hover.

‘Additionally, just through the advances in technology, when I tell the jet to hover over this point on earth it can do it hands-free. The F-35 will wind-correct, lean its wing into the wind and sit right over that point. When you think about that from a training continuum, and compare that to the Harrier fleet and their STOVL efforts, they [have to] spend so much time getting a pilot proficient at landing and maintaining that proficiency. Whether through simulators, practice flights here at Yuma or going out to the ship for periods at sea, the time spent in STOVL is extensive. I think with the F-35, in terms of time, money, flights, simulators, and so on, there will be a reduced amount of resources required to retain the same level of proficiency the Harrier units do now. Now, like anything it is cosmic until you go out and do it. But once you do and see it, you are like, ‘This wasn’t hard!’ And that was my big take-away from my first STOVL landing, which was on November 13, 2013. I don’t want to say it was mindlessly easy, but pretty close to that.’...

...Marines on the move
Marine air power is expeditionary in its very nature, able to pack up and move with little support, and the USMC F-35 squadrons will be no different. So far the F-35 community, and especially VMFA-121, has enjoyed the comfort of operating from state-of-the-art hangars and new buildings. However, an important lesson the squadron must learn is how to re-locate to somewhere where the established architecture is absent. During 2014, VMFA-121 will move twice. First, during late spring or early summer, it will simply move hangars, taking the first step necessary before going off-site to another location in the fall.

Prior to the delivery of the 2B software, the 16 F-35Bs the ‘Green Knights’ own will be shuffled off for airframe modifications. Throughout 2014, the squadron will have to manage the flow of airframes combined with the goal of meeting operational objectives...."

GreenKnightsVMFA-121badgesF-35.gif

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 01 Oct 2014, 01:52

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 02 Oct 2014, 06:27

Green Knight? How about this one.
Attachments
VMFA121GreenKnightTAILlogo1590580zoomLOGOonlyBWnegTRANS.gif
VMFA121GreenKnightTAILlogo1590580zoomLOGOonlyBWnegTRANS.gif (6.47 KiB) Viewed 23021 times

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 03 Oct 2014, 21:43

See the above video again on Ubend:
Green Knights introduce the F-35B
Published on Oct 3, 2014 US Military Videos & Photos

"Marines with Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 121 show what the F-35B Lightning II is capable of before the 2014 Miramar Air Show. Available in high definition."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 18 Nov 2015, 11:11

Not only about SPARES but what is going to occur with VMFA-121 in the next few years. BEST READ AT SOURCE....
Marines Pushing For Faster F-35B Spares Acquisition To Support New Squadrons
17 Nov 2015 Megan Eckstein

"PENTAGON – The Marine Corps aviation community is keeping busy preparing to send its first F-35B Joint Strike Fighters to Japan in January 2017, ensuring the training and logistics pipelines are ready for global deployment of the new plane, the deputy commandant for aviation told USNI News.

The first F-35B squadron, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 121, reached initial operational capability (IOC) in July and could, in an emergency, deploy overseas today.

“if a contingency arose, and I’ve got an IOC squadron, I could put six or more F-35Bs on the [USS] Wasp and sail into harm’s way and do the job and basically do what our nation needs to do with a fifth-generation aircraft from a seabase, the first one ever,” Lt. Gen. Jon Davis told USNI News in an interview.

VMFA-121 is the lone F-35B squadron for now, though the Marines intend to transition Marine Attack Squadron (VMA) 211, an AV-8B squadron, this fiscal year and Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 122, an F-18 Hornet squadron, in 2018.

As the F-35B fleet builds out, Davis said the Marines have to ensure sufficient readiness for all the squadrons. He said he needs to “make sure as we build up 211 we don’t degrade the capability of 121 from the maintenance perspective, make sure we keep our training solid. Right now we’re in good shape, we have a good plan to build out 211.”...

...Davis said he would fight hard for more aggressive spares procurement because there is no doubt in his mind that the F-35Bs will be worked hard as soon as they land in their new home in Iwakuni.

“We’re determined to get the funding in place, the spares in place, so we have full spares accounts when we deploy,” he said.
“I can guarantee you, much like the V-22, the second it gets there it’s going to be in very very high demand for all the capabilities it brings.”

Iwakuni is also preparing to host the F-35s. Davis said the air station is in the midst of a major expansion and upgrade effort, installing new maintenance facilities and hangars, building additional runways, setting up F-35B flight simulators and more to create a “really phenomenal capability” for the Marines and their Japanese allies....

...Despite extensive at-sea testing with the F-35B and the 2B software, the Marines have not operated the F-35s alongside the rest of the aviation combat element (ACE) aboard an amphibious ship. During operational testing in May aboard Wasp (LHD-1), Marines operated and maintained the F-35Bs from the ship and used the MV-22 Osprey simultaneously on a few. But the rest of the ACE – including CH-53E heavy lift and AH-1Z/W Super Cobra light attack helicopters – was not on the ship.

Davis said full ACE integration was never meant to be a part of operational testing. Instead, the first 10 planes in VMFA-121 will move to Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni in Japan in January 2017, followed by six more planes by that June. Wasp will head to Japan in early 2018, so ACE integration efforts will take place ahead of the F-35B’s first float in 2018."

Source: http://news.usni.org/2015/11/17/marines ... -squadrons

by yeswepromise » 28 Feb 2016, 01:53

Yuma had an event today. Saw one the 121 (I think) 35s in the background. Looks like new tail art.... anybody else seen it?
Might be 1st Marines badge...

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 20 Sep 2016, 09:57

Six page PDF of said article below attached...
Green Knights & the Lightning II
Oct 2016 Ted Carlson AirForces Monthly

"Ted Carlson/Fotodynamics examines the F-35B in service with VMFA-121 ‘Green Knights’, the USMC’s first fleet Lightning II unit....

...All USMC F-35Bs are to low rate initial production (LRIP) standard. The Green Knights have received most of the new USMC F-35Bs and distribute their older to wherever the Corps’ needs are. As the first deploying F-35B squadron, the Green Knights have the newest and most up-todate jets in the inventory.

The unit had 16 aircraft at one time, but after some were distributed to other units and some returned to Lockheed Martin for modification, it will stabilise at ten aircraft for the time being. Long term, it will build back up to 16 F-35Bs, which is the planned allocation for the initial F-35B squadrons. At the moment the situation is fluid as airframe requirements vary....

...Wing pylons are under test and being validated for fleet use. They will enable the F-35B to carry 2,000lb weapons externally, along with internal stores. Travel pods and 426 US gal fuel tanks will also be available for external carriage after the aircraft has been upgraded to Block 4 configuration....

What’s next?
Block 3F will be the next major software upgrade. There will be numerous other upgrades and the new aircraft will continue to evolve, becoming better and better with time. The unit remains focused on FOC (targeted for August 2017), then deployments, and will continue attending exercises, including Red Flag and more. The F-35B will stay the course to be groomed for amphibious assault ships and employed in MAGTF/MEU operations while deployed. The Marines are also going to receive F-35Cs within the next few years, for carrier air wing battle group integration, or use in the land-based expeditionary role. Each USMC F-35C unit is slated to have a total of ten jets, flown in a role similar to that in which the USMC F/A-18A/C/D Hornet community currently deploys. The long-term plan calls for the F-35B/C to replace all USMC EA-6Bs, AV- 8Bs and F/A-18s, with a planned procurement of 353 F-35Bs and 67 F-35Cs for the Corps...."

Source: Oct 2016 AirForces Monthly Magazine Issue No. 343
Attachments
F-35B Green Knights VMFA-121 Air Forces Monthly Oct 2016 pp6.pdf
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 1749 times
F-35BVMFA-121badgeNEW.gif

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by blindpilot » 20 Sep 2016, 16:38

Green Knights & the Lightning II
Oct 2016 Ted Carlson AirForces Monthly

"Ted Carlson/Fotodynamics examines the F-35B in service with VMFA-121 ‘Green Knights’, the USMC’s first fleet Lightning II unit....

... The Green Knights have received most of the new USMC F-35Bs and distribute their older to wherever the Corps’ needs are. As the first deploying F-35B squadron, the Green Knights have the newest and most up-todate jets in the inventory.

... some were distributed to other units and some returned to Lockheed Martin for modification,... At the moment the situation is fluid as airframe requirements vary....

Source: Oct 2016 AirForces Monthly Magazine Issue No. 343

So basically the chances of Jon's Database being correct up to date is somewhere between 0 (zero) and some negative number for the next several months?

BP

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sferrin » 20 Sep 2016, 18:54

I thought the external tanks were cancelled indefinitely. :?
"There I was. . ."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 20 Sep 2016, 20:01

sferrin wrote:I thought the external tanks were cancelled indefinitely. :?

As did I.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 20 Sep 2016, 21:21

Israel has always wanted them and may have put some pressure on the program to get them back in.

btw, It's not "cancelled indefinitely", only "postponed indefinitely".
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

by jacek_zemlo » 20 Sep 2016, 21:31

Each USMC F-35C unit is slated to have a total of ten jets, flown in a role similar to that in which the USMC F/A-18A/C/D Hornet community currently deploys.

Would that mean Marine F-35Cs operating not only from the carriers but also taking part in the land-based deployments? :shock: Really, I don't think so...

Although, the planned lineup of squadrons at Lemoore:
The "end state" squadron lineup will see seven F-35C squadrons, six F/A-18F squadrons and four F/A-18E squadrons.

makes me wonder... For 4 CVWs there should be: six F-35C squadrons (plus two Marine at another base), F/A-18E and F four squadrons each. It looks like one F-35C squadron (maybe they meant VFA-125?) and two F/A-18F squadrons extra.
Last edited by jacek_zemlo on 20 Sep 2016, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 08 Mar 2017, 19:40

http://www.defensenews.com

Marine Corps trims Hornet squadrons in Japan with F-35 arrival

By: Mike Yeo, March 8, 2017

MELBOURNE, Australia — The U.S. Marine Corps has adjusted the number of F/A-18 Hornet squadrons on rotating deployments to Japan with the arrival of the F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter to that country, according to the Marine Corps deputy commandant for aviation. Speaking to media at the Avalon Airshow in Geelong, Victoria, Australia, Lt. Gen. Jon Davis confirmed that the Marines will now have one F/A-18 squadron at Marine Combat Air Station Iwakuni on rotations under the Unit Deployment Program, or UDP, down from the previous two.

The UDP sees the rotational deployment of Marine air and ground units to the Western Pacific, or WESTPAC, for periods of approximately six months. While on rotation the Marines regularly take part in engagement with regional allies, with the Hornets taking part in exercises like Balikatan in the Philippines, Commando Sling in Singapore, and Cobra Gold in Thailand. The Hornet UDP squadron will be part of Marine Air Group 12, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing for the duration of its rotational deployment, serving alongside Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 121, which is now based at Iwakuni with 10 F-35Bs since January, and VMFA-242 which operates the two-seat F/A-18D Hornet. (Each Hornet squadron operates 12 aircraft, each F-35B squadron operates 16 aircraft, and each F-35C squadron will operate 12 aircraft.) Another UDP AV-8B Harrier squadron operates out of Kadena Air Base in nearby Okinawa, and is assigned to the Okinawa-based 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit onboard the Navy’s sole forward-deployed landing helicopter dock during WESTPAC cruises.

Davis also touched on the continuing transition of Marine fast jet squadrons to the F-35 and the recent announcement of a slight deviation from the Marines’ latest Aviation Plan, which will now see F-18 squadrons get priority for transition to the F-35 ahead of their Harrier counterparts, noting that “our F-18 fleet is getting older faster, and the bottom line is we’ve got life on our Harriers and so we’re going to move our F-18s out faster than we are the Harriers." He added that the “next three, maybe more, squadrons to transition to the F-35 will be all F-18 squadrons,” with Miramar-based VMFA-225’s F/A-18Ds to take the place of Marine Attack Squadron 311’s Harriers in transitioning to the F-35B in fiscal 2020.

VMFA-225, which is the current UDP squadron in Iwakuni, was to have been the last operational Marine fast jet squadron to transition to the F-35B in fiscal 2030. Instead, it will now be the third in line to get the F-35 after VMFA-122 which is now in the process of transitioning to the F-35B, and VMFA-314 who will transition to the carrierborne F-35C planned for fiscal 2020.

....so..as this progresses, the presence of the Corp on a CVN/ carrier will be more quickly reduced to the slow progress of the F-35C...if ever...

...good to hear the Harriers are no longer "falling out of the sky!"..

:)

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 27 Mar 2017, 06:47

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/nationa ... 52315.html

U.S. stealth fighters carry out precision bombing drill in Korea

SEOUL, March 25 (Yonhap) -- Several F-35B stealth fighter jets conducted bombing practice on the Korean Peninsula earlier this week in support of joint training between South Korean and U.S. marines, military authorities and sources said Saturday. The U.S. Marine Corps (USMC) F-35 Lightning II aircraft are known to have returned to Japan after the Korea Marine Exercise Program (KMEP) as part of the allies' annual joint combined defense drills. The U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) confirmed the sortie of the aircraft here, saying it reflects Washington's commitment to a robust alliance with Seoul. "The deployment of the most advanced aircraft the USMC has in their inventory to Korea is yet another example of how dedicated the United States is to supporting the ROK-U.S. Alliance," Gen. Vincent K. Brooks, who commands 28,000 American troops here, said in a statement. The ROK is the acronym for South Korea's official name, the Republic of Korea. He added, "The training within the KMEP program helps ensure our readiness and is critical for our Alliance as we maintain security and stability on the Korean Peninsula."

The USFK did not provide details including the exact date of the F-35's flight over Korea and the number of deployed jets. The KMEP was held from Monday through Thursday. A defense source said six to eight F-35s participated in the training. The jets conducted a simulation-based precision bombing drill in the Pilsung Shooting Range in the eastern province of Gangwon (east of Seoul), added the source. The USFK said, meanwhile, in addition to its short takeoff and vertical landing capability, the F-35B's unique combination of stealth, cutting-edge radar, sensor technology, and electronic warfare systems bring all of the access and lethality capabilities of a fifth-generation fighter. The aircraft's training in South Korea was meant to "enhance and improve the interoperability of ROK and the U.S. Marine Corps at the tactical level to build combined warfighting capabilities," the USFK said. The latest bombing drill came amid the region's rising tension over North Korea's continued provocations. Successive media reports say another nuclear weapons test appears to be imminent in the North. The U.S. deployed 10 F-35Bs to its Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni in Japan's Yamaguchi Prefecture (less than 400 mi. from Seoul) in January, with six more scheduled to be positioned there within this year. U.S. soldiers and equipment at the base will be among the first to be deployed to Korea in case of a contingency on the peninsula.

ycm@yna.co.kr

lcd@yna.co.kr

(END)
:)
Last edited by neptune on 27 Mar 2017, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

by gc » 27 Mar 2017, 09:11

Operating the F-35B from FOBs in South Korea will dramatically shorten the duration of each sortie. Wouldn't be surprised if 10 F-35B can generate 50 sorties a day striking 100 aimpoints with JDAMs and LGBs. Integrating the SDB and we can see 400 aimpoints struck per day.