Germany may reconsider Tornado replacement options (F-35)

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post17 Nov 2022, 16:43

IFC 2022: Luftwaffe reaffirms F-35A, Eurofighter EK procurement plan
17 Nov 2022 Gareth Jennings

"The Luftwaffe has restated its earlier declared intent to satisfy its Tornado replacement requirement with Lockheed Martin F-35A Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter and Eurofighter Electronic Combat (Elektronischer Kampf: EK) aircraft, despite recent reports this was being reconsidered because of budgetary pressures.

Speaking at the IQPC International Fighter Conference (IFC) 2022 held in Berlin from 16 to 18 November, the Commander of the Air Force Forces Command, Lieutenant General Günter Katz, said that the intent to procure 35 F-35As and 15 Eurofighter EKs remains.

This statement on 16 November was contrary to German media reports over recent weeks that F-35 numbers were being revised downwards and the Eurofighter EK was to be replaced by the Boeing EA-18G Growler as a result of inflationary pressures on the EUR100 billion (USD103.86 billion) Söndervermögen (special fund) uplift in national defence spending that was introduced on the back of Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February...."

Source: https://www.janes.com/defence-news/air- ... ement-plan
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos

daswp

Unread post17 Nov 2022, 18:40

blindpilot wrote:
jessmo112 wrote:A few things come to mind in this thread.

1. I cannot describe with words what the Russian invasion has done to line the pockets of the military industrial complex. I am only disappointed that I didn't buy Lockheed, Boeing, Raytheon or who ever makes stinger missiles stock.
...3. So now we have basically given Lockheed a[sic] monopoly ....
I had better get that Lockeed stock before China invades.

A couple points on the whole MIC rant ... The "Corporations" while treated as persons, are not people to be good or evil. There are 2 classes of players.
Class 1 - The very rich and corporate principals. They tend to be untouchable because of the army of lawyers and off shore banks. They don't care what you think, go pound sand! Fortunately even in the case of Musk, Bezos, and Gates they actually aren't the majority of $$ % of the corporations (just of the voting stocks).
Class 2 - managed and retail share holders. That's really who "Lockheed, MIC" is. Those literally are little old widows in modest houses watching game shows on TV, just trying to hang on with their arthritis, and little old men on the porch yelling at kids to get off the grass, watching their pension payments go up and down.

And I did buy Lockheed in pension, and retail, so just, "Shut up and get off my grass !!" Widows are not evil oppressors. Fight some other boogie man or buy the stock, whatever.

If you want to hate somebody rant at the hedge fund/short players who usually bring no value whatever to their money plays. They just steal money (1$ for 1$) from the widows by shorting Lockheed.

MHO
BP

One of the best explanations I have read. Hope you don't mind me copying it and sharing it with my students.

blindpilot

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post18 Nov 2022, 14:48

daswp wrote:
blindpilot wrote:....
[b]A couple points on the whole MIC rant ... The "Corporations" while treated as persons, are not people to be good or evil. ...
MHO
BP

One of the best explanations I have read. Hope you don't mind me copying it and sharing it with my students.

Please fell free to pass it own. It's a message that needs to get out.

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post07 Dec 2022, 06:33

Germany to decide mid-December on purchase of F-35 fighter jet
07 Dec 2022 Reuters

"BERLIN (Reuters) - The German parliament will decide in mid-December about the 10 billion euro ($10.50 billion) purchase of the F-35 fighter jet produced by U.S. defence giant Lockheed Martin, Defence Minister Christine Lambrecht said on Tuesday.

"We will discuss a huge project in the next session of the (parliament's) budget committee on Dec. 14, the F-35 ... with a volume of 10 billion euros in total," Lambrecht told reporters on a visit to the town of Simmern in western Germany....

...Germany aims to buy 35 F-35 stealth fighter jets, including missiles and other weapons and equipment, with the first eight aircraft to be delivered in 2026.

It is the first major project that Germany will tap the 100 billion euro special fund for. Chancellor Olaf Scholz announced the fund in a major policy shift days after Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February, aiming to bring the Bundeswehr's weapons and equipment back up to standard after decades of attrition following the end of the Cold War....

...Berlin's decision for the F-35, which was announced in March but needs final approval by parliament, upset France.

Paris fears the deal could undercut the development of a joint Franco-German fighter jet that is supposed to be ready in the 2040s."

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/ge ... r-AA14Ymev
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos
Previous

Return to Program and politics