Germany may reconsider Tornado replacement options (F-35)

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

optimist

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post13 Jan 2022, 08:53

sunstersun wrote:I mean let's be fair here to the French, yes the Rafale isn't better than the F-35 but which plane is :P

All you need to do now, is to get a Frenchman to agree with you. :D
Aussie fanboy

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post13 Jan 2022, 10:16

optimist wrote:
sunstersun wrote:I mean let's be fair here to the French, yes the Rafale isn't better than the F-35 but which plane is :P

:lmao:

ricnunes

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Jan 2022, 15:39

optimist wrote:

:mrgreen: :lmao:
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

sunstersun

Unread post14 Jan 2022, 05:24

Germany and Spain join Tempest and France goes by themselves for FCAS?

Way more likely after UAE for sure.

boilermaker

Unread post15 Jan 2022, 18:57

steve2267 wrote:I have no idea how Typhies would fair as Growler replacements. I kinda doubt the Germans could simply procure Growler pods to integrate onto their Typhies. So deutsche marks spent to develop a German EW capability could benefit Germany. And acquisition of F-35's would give them a leg up over the French in developing 5th gen techniques & procedures.

That would be a tall order for them to develop. The Growler is quite a unique, capable and expensive platform. Even the F35 is not as advanced in EW. And the US library of electromagnetic signals is unparalleled

boilermaker

Unread post15 Jan 2022, 18:59

barrelnut wrote:Old German F-35 discussion seems to be locked so I'm starting a new thread.

It seems that the new German Government is open to include the F-35 to the list of potential candidates for Tornado replacement:

https://twitter.com/AlexLuck9/status/14 ... 5138215937

New media piece suggests Germany goes back to the future on its Tornado replacement. "Several assignments have been approved, including to clarify again whether F-35 may offer a suitable alternative, and whether Eurofighter may assume EW-role.". #Luftwaffe

Germans have long decided they would never make the same mistake of Hitler again, which is to become enemy of America. They are craving for US attention at the expense and competing with the Brits. They even make the French toe the American line through the EU lever.

My hunch they will get a US airplane to replace the Tornado to that effect. That is why they were thinking of the F18. F35 might be in logical offing as a result. My money is on the F35. Heck, if French populist huffing and puffing was not so loud of late (replacing FAMAS with German HK G/MR 556), they would force the French to buy F35s. Lmao
Previous

Return to Program and politics