F-35 UAE 2017

Unread postPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 23:00
by neptune
https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... f-35-jets/

Trump could let the UAE buy F-35 jets

By: Barbara Opall-Rome

WASHINGTON ―
As part of a larger U.S. strategy for enhanced strategic cooperation with the United Arab Emirates, the Trump administration has agreed to consider a long-standing request by Abu Dhabi to enter into preliminary talks on future procurement of the F-35 joint strike fighter. While no decision has been made, the willingness to consider extending a classified briefing to the UAE as the first significant step toward acquisition of the fifth-generation stealth fighter signals a departure from policy enforced under former President Barack Obama. The Obama administration had consistently rebuffed Emirati requests for the briefing dating back to 2011, citing Washington’s commitment to preserve Israel’s so-called Qualitative Military Edge, or QME. In interviews, Gulf experts and industry executives insist the Trump administration fully intends to uphold congressionally mandated commitments to the QME, which aim to provide Israel the weaponry and assistance it needs to unilaterally defend itself against any combination of regional foes. At the same time, Washington wants to build on an expanded U.S.-UAE Defense Cooperation Agreement unveiled in May during Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan’s meetings with Trump and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis in the U.S. capital. “The Trump team has agreed to consider the request. It’s not a ‘yes’ yet, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to happen once the dust settles,” a former Pentagon official told Defense News. He was referring to the ongoing dispute between the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain with Qatar ― a rift the administration needs to amend before it can effectively implement Trump’s new strategy for countering nuclear and non-nuclear threats from Iran. Experts cite a convergence of events that support extending preliminary F-35 program access to the UAE, the only Arab country to have participated in six U.S.-led coalition missions since the 1991 Gulf War and which hosts thousands of Americans deployed with the U.S. Air Force’s 380th Air Expeditionary Wing. Firstly, unlike Saudi Arabia, which is some 20 kilometers from Israel’s Red Sea town of Eilat, the UAE does not share a maritime or land border with Israel. And unlike Saudi Arabia or other Gulf Cooperation Council states, the UAE Air Force has openly participated with the Israeli Air Force in international exercises, the latest in March in Greece with the Italian and Hellenic air forces and in annual U.S. Air Force Red Flag drills in Nevada. Considering the common threat from Iran, and the time it would take for Abu Dhabi to negotiate a contract with Washington, let alone begin to take first deliveries, sources note that Israel will have enjoyed more than a decade of exclusivity as the only Air Force in the region to operate the F-35.

Israel’s Ministry of Defense declined public comment on the potential easing of F-35 restrictions for Abu Dhabi, citing sensitivities. Privately, however, sources said Israel is unlikely to object if initial steps are limited only to the UAE, and will not trigger wider approval for other GCC states. “The two countries are not allies; not even friends. But under currently conceivable scenarios, if anyone thinks that the UAE will use this airplane to attack Israel, he or she is not living in reality,” said Shoshana Bryen, senior director at the Washington-based Jewish Policy Center. Danny Sebright, president of the U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council, said Abu Dhabi has been frustrated by U.S. policy governing technology transfer to the region. “The way our policy works now is Israel versus all other Arab countries. But they have no negative intentions toward the Israelis and don’t see themselves going to war with them. And as such, they don’t want decisions being held up based on how other Arab countries may affect Israel’s QME.”

In a recent interview, Sebright said Washington should consider UAE’s requests based on the merits of its long-standing partnership with the U.S. and its contribution to regional stability. He said the new 15-year Defense Cooperation Agreement is meant to be an indefinite umbrella agreement that should ultimately cover the F-35 and other front-line American weaponry as well as joint research and development, more special operations cooperation, and other bilateral initiatives. In a 13-page report published by the U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council last month, Sebright listed a broad spectrum of areas ― from counterterrorism to Afghanistan reconstruction efforts ― in which Abu Dhabi has materially contributed to U.S. security and its interests in and far beyond the Arabian Gulf. He noted that the UAE is one of the largest customers of the U.S. Foreign Military Sales program and ranks among the top 15 defense spenders in the world. “U.S.-UAE basing agreements, joint training and weapons sales are not merely for show. ... The UAE has become not just a consumer of security, but also a provider of security in the Gulf region and the wider Middle East,” Sebright said. Nevertheless, he warned that U.S. restrictions may force Abu Dhabi to turning to non-Western countries for major military systems. Earlier this year, the UAE and Russia signed a letter of intent to jointly develop a fifth-generation fighter based on the MiG-29, while Moscow announced UAE interest in potential procurement of the Sukhoi Su-35. “Whether or not this transpires can be viewed as a reflection of the UAE’s frustration with the US acquisition process,” Sebright wrote. He said Abu Dhabi’s unmet F-35 request “is not an isolated case.” He cited the UAE’s purchase of Chinese UAVs as a supplement to a U.S. acquisition of unarmed Predator drones, the catalyst being Washington’s refusal to approve strike-capable systems. “The UAE is not only a consumer of US security, but a provider for US security. ... While they may be willing to consider non-Western suppliers, it is important to emphasize that it continues to demonstrate a strong preference for US [weaponry] … which comes with US training and support and further reinforces the bilateral defense and security relationship that is so important” to both countries, the report concludes. Simon Henderson, director of the Washington Institute’s Gulf and Energy Policy Program, suggested that Saudi Arabia could dispel concerns regarding its intentions toward Israel by publicly participating in U.S.-led exercises aimed at regional defense. “The US would consider selling F-35s to the Saudis if the Saudis were not a threat to Israel. And an indication they are not a threat to Israel would be for Saudi Arabia and Israel to take part in the same third-party air exercises,” Henderson said.
:)

Re: F-35 UAE 2017

Unread postPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 01:02
by nutshell
The Sheiks going to play pokemon with every military jet available in the market.

Gotta buy'em all!

Jokes aside; should we really trust any arab country?

Unread postPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 01:10
by spazsinbad
Same post earlier by 'zerion' - beats me why there has to be two of everything:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27006&p=380261&hilit=Emirates#p380261

Unread postPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 04:05
by Corsair1963
Question here is if the US does sell F-35's to the UAE. Then how is it not going to sell them to the other Gulf States??? (i.e. Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia)

Yet, if it does refuse to sell the F-35 to any or all of the aforementioned. Will that in turn open the door to China to sell them the J-20 and/or J-31???

Unread postPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 18:09
by zerion
I guess the question is does the UAE deserve a dedicated thread at this point? Maybe, things are looking like they will get some F-35s, but should we just keep all gulf states info to one thread?

US Air Force official confirms rumors of F-35 talks with UAE
https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... -with-uae/

Corsair1963 wrote:Question here is if the US does sell F-35's to the UAE. Then how is it not going to sell them to the other Gulf States??? (i.e. Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia)

Carrots. For instance basic human rights need to be recognized and you can't be funding terrorism.

Unread postPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 20:07
by neptune
zerion wrote:I guess the question is does the UAE deserve a dedicated thread at this point? Maybe, things are looking like they will get some F-35s, but should we just keep all gulf states info to one thread?

Corsair1963 wrote:Question here is if the US does sell F-35's to the UAE. Then how is it not going to sell them to the other Gulf States??? (i.e. Bahrain, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia)

Carrots. For instance basic human rights need to be recognized and you can't be funding terrorism.
i

....lol, if there is no activity, it will sink to the level of whale execrement! Gulf away to your hearts content!

Unread postPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 20:09
by neptune
zerion wrote:I guess the question is does the UAE deserve a dedicated thread at this point? Maybe, things are looking like they will get some F-35s, but should we just keep all gulf states info to one thread?

i

....lol, if there is no activity, it will sink to the level of whale execrement! Gulf away to your hearts content!

Unread postPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 22:03
by neptune

By: Valerie Insinna

DUBAI — The U.S. Defense Department has begun talks with the United Arab Emirates about a potential sale of F-35 joint strike fighters, the U.S. Air Force’s number-two general said Friday. The statements, made by Air Force Vice Chief of Staff Stephen Wilson during a roundtable with reporters ahead of Dubai Airshow, confirm an earlier report by Defense News. The story cited sources close to the talks that claimed President Donald Trump’s administration was considering delivering a classified briefing on the jet’s capabilities to UAE officials. “Specifically with the F-35, you look at all of our partner nations now and as we look at their requirements. Here in the Gulf, they share many of the same adversaries and many of the same challenges, so discussions are ongoing now with the administration on partner nations that may require them,” Wilson said, adding later that UAE is one of the countries currently discussing the matter with the United States. “Any time you go through that, there’s a process to do that, so they’ve started the process. And with that, any discussions bilaterally between nations is held close. So further things on that will have to come from the UAE,” he continued. Wilson would not confirm when a classified briefing could occur, saying “that is part of the discussions and the process going forward.” If a deal moves through, the UAE would become the first Gulf nation to acquire the F-35, which is manufactured by Lockheed Martin. However, it could potentially face several barriers that may dash hopes of a sale. First and foremost is potential objections from Israel over a perceived erosion of its qualitative military edge.

However, sources had told Defense News that Israel is unlikely to raise alarms over a deal with the UAE, unless the United States also decides to start up negotiations with other Gulf countries. Others argued that it may take a decade to work out a contract with the UAE and for Lockheed to deliver its first F-35 — more than enough time for the United States to meet its commitments to preserve Israel’s military edge in the Middle East. Wilson acknowledged that the United States will have to work with U.S. partners to ensure a sale to UAE doesn’t raise security concerns. “That’s part of all the things we’re going to look at going forward,” he told reporters.

Another potential roadblock could be the UAE’s dealings with Russia. At IDEX earlier this year, Russia and the UAE signed a memorandum of understanding to co-develop a fifth generation fighter, which would be produced by Russian defense industry heavyweight Rostec and based on the MiG-29 fighter aircraft. Asked whether that partnership could deter the United States from allowing a foreign military sale of the F-35 to the UAE, Wilson declined to comment.

....nothing floats forever!
:wink:

Unread postPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 05:19
by spazsinbad
EXCLUSIVE: Israel hosted UAE military delegation to review F-35s, sources say
04 Jul 2018 i24NEWS

"The Israeli Air Force recently hosted a military delegation from the United Arab Emirates to review operations of the advanced US-made F-35 fighter jets, i24NEWS has learned. An American delegation was also present at the time of the UAE visit, sources told i24NEWS. The extraordinary visit comes as the UAE seeks to purchase its own fleet of the advanced F-35 fighter jets, built by US defense giant Lockheed Martin, and amid reports of a burgeoning Israeli-Gulf alliance against Iran....

...Although the UAE and Israel do not have public relations, reports have hinted at longstanding clandestine ties based on a convergence of a multitude of interests – chief among them stemming mutual foe Iran's expanding influence in the region...."

Source: https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/1 ... view-f-35s

Unread postPosted: 05 Jul 2018, 15:21
by mixelflick
I love me some Trump, but I think he's being short sighted here. He wants to sell US wares, sure. But if Turkey is dicey how much more so would be arab states?

Let them buy SU-35's or wait in line for the SU-57 (if it ever materializes). I understand there are safeguards on some of the technology, but a single F-35 (and in particular, its engine) is going to be a windfall for Russia/China. In one fell swoop, they'll be neck and neck with us in engine technology.

Not cool, seeing how far ahead we are now..

Unread postPosted: 06 Jul 2018, 08:28
by nathan77
It depends if the UAE is trustworthy in regards to technology transfer. (i.e. more of a risk than Israel which has sold US tech to China in the past). Even with some leakage, it turns out 5th generation manufacturing is still really hard: China services the engines for most of the worlds airlines - and even with Russian engines to learn from they have struggled to build their own 5th generation power-plants.

From my perspective, where selling the F-35 to the UAE does make sense is from an economic perspective. The fewer the buyers for the SU-57, the fewer are manufactured. The fewer are manufactured and the higher the unit-price is and the fewer which Russia can afford to buy for their armed services. And the more F-35's are purchased, likewise the cheaper they become - and the more of them that can be bought by the US and its allies.

Unread postPosted: 08 Jul 2018, 20:13
by zerion
IDF DENIES UAE DELEGATION VISITED ISRAEL TO STUDY THE F-35

https://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Israel- ... -35-561913

Unread postPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 03:30
by Corsair1963
Hardly, surprising if true or not....... :shock:

Unread postPosted: 21 Aug 2020, 01:08
by zerion
Bibi Said Yes To F-35 Sale To UAE, Eye On Normalized Relations

TEL AVIV: In a dizzying display of the endless complexities of the Middle East, Israeli Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu approved President Trump’s sale of F-35s to the UAE in return for the emirates opening diplomatic relations with Israel

"Bibi used his open line to the White House to give the OK for this deal," an Israeli source told Breaking D. He did not disclose the F-35 OK to anyone, including Benny Ganz, Israel's defense minister and alternative prime minister...

https://breakingdefense.com/2020/08/bib ... relations/

Unread postPosted: 21 Aug 2020, 02:04
by spazsinbad
spazsinbad wrote:Same post earlier by 'zerion' - beats me why there has to be two of everything:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27006&p=380261&hilit=Emirates#p380261

I'm beaten again: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57267&p=443382#p443382

Unread postPosted: 26 Aug 2020, 06:55
by spazsinbad
Many Many Dummy Spits [contretemps] herein:
Scoop: UAE cancels Israel meeting after Netanyahu opposes 24 Aug 2020 Barak Ravid
https://www.axios.com/uae-f-35-arms-dea ... a4556.html

Unread postPosted: 15 Sep 2020, 16:27
by spazsinbad
fwiw...
Trump: ‘No problem’ selling F-35 jets to UAE
15 Sep 2020 Joe Gould

"WASHINGTON ― U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he personally would have “no problem” selling the advanced F-35 fighter jet to the United Arab Emirates, despite objections from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. “I would have no problem in selling them the F-35, I would have absolutely no problem,” Trump told Fox News in an interview ahead of a signing ceremony at the White House for agreements normalizing relations between Israel, the UAE and Bahrain later on Tuesday.

Trump also said he would be willing to sell other Middle Eastern countries the same weapons systems sold to Israel. He noted the region’s wealth and said it would be good for the United States and American jobs. “They’re very wealthy countries for the most part, like the UAE, and they would like to buy the fighter jets, and I personally would have no problem with it,” Trump said. “Some people do, they say maybe they go to war.”

Trump affirmed that his strategy is to forge pacts with other Mideastern nations in an effort to push the Palestinians toward negotiating a peace deal with Israel. Even though Trump favors the sales, there’s no guarantee they would happen. The F-35 sale, a longtime request from Abu Dhabi, is not written into the UAE-Israel deal, Emirati Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash told reporters Monday...."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... 35-to-uae/

Unread postPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 03:17
by Corsair1963
This clearly would open the door wide. For other Gulf States to also acquire the F-35....(Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, etc.)

Unread postPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 01:24
by spazsinbad
This thread is the proper place for the UAE F-35A FUD article - REUTERS is no longer a good source as far as I'm concerned.
Exclusive: U.S. eyes December agreement on F-35 jets with UAE - sources
22 Sep 2020 Mike Stone

"...Sources familiar with the negotiations said a working idea was for Israeli air defenses to be able to detect the UAE F-35s with technology that effectively defeats the stealth capabilities of the jets.

F-35 fighter jets sold to the United Arab Emirates could also be built in a way that ensures the same planes owned by Israel outperform any others sold in the region, defense experts say.

Washington already demands that any F-35 sold to foreign governments cannot match the performance of U.S. jets, said both a congressional staffer and a source familiar with past sales.

The F-35’s technical sophistication is tied to its mission systems and processing power and “it’s the computing power that allows you to sell a higher tech jet to Israel than to the UAE,” said Doug Birkey, executive director of the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies in Washington.

“When foreign pilots are in training in the U.S. they type a code into a user interface as they board the jet, the code will pull a different jet for each pilot based on legal permissions,” Birkey said...."

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-isra ... SKCN26D19T

The bolded BIG part is just hogwash. Why is not the source for this bollocks revealed? BECAUSE IT IS BOLLOCKS. Differences in all the F-35s so far come about because of the BLOCK standard when built during LRIP. However if required all the aircraft can be upgraded to the latest standard - soon to be BLOCK IV - either at depot or upgrade kits at site.

Over the long years I've seen so called 'congressional sources' be quoted as saying some really stupid stuff because they are political operatives - not experts on military aviation matters. REUTERS have been taken for a ride on this part of article.

We have seen articles about newbie F-35 pilots not able to start their aircraft with their personal pass code because of the ALIS problems so they have used their instructors pass code. This is public knowledge. IF these students are flying a mixed bag of F-35s then some may have different hardware/software combinations. SO they fly a standard configuration in any F-35 for the sake of their training. BIG DEAL. <sarc> My solution for disabling errant countries with F-35s is shoot the pilot, perhaps not to kill but to put him/her out of contention. No biggie - happens all the time. What else is new. <sarc off>

Countries buy the F-35 because it is the same everywhere so they can act in concert with allies with F-35s - the big one will be the US with a variety of F-35s from A to C and different configuration standards perhaps but all same same same.

Unread postPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 03:34
by spazsinbad
Amidst F-35 to UAE rumors, Esper pledges to support Israeli edge
22 Sep 2020 Aaron Mehta

"WASHINGTON — Amidst expectations that the U.S. will sell F-35 joint strike fighters to the United Arab Emirates, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper on Tuesday reaffirmed his commitment to maintain Israel’s qualitative military edge.

“The defense relationship between the United States and Israel has never been stronger. We intend to keep it that way,” Esper said in pooled comments ahead of a meeting with Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz.

“I do want to say upfront for everyone that a cornerstone of our defense relationship is preserving Israel’s qualitative military edge in the region,” Esper added. “The United States is committed to that and the Department of Defense is committed to that imperative. We will continue to support the longstanding U.S. policy to maintain Israel’s security.”

Israel’s QME is a congressionally mandated rule that, in essence, says Israel needs to maintain a military technology edge over its neighbors. The rationale for the language is that Israel, as a small nation surrounded by hostile states, needs an extra edge from its U.S. partner to survive. In essence, this has meant certain high-end weapons will not be allowed to be sold to states in the region, most notably Saudi Arabia and the UAE....

...In 2017, regional sources told Defense News the UAE was eyeing a buy of 24 F-35s; it is unclear if that number is still in play now. The UAE is looking to replace its 67-aircraft Mirage 2000 fleet...."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/20 ... aeli-edge/

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2020, 03:28
by spazsinbad
BREAKaDaFence has a similar story (to one excerpted below) with this kicker last paragraph:
"...Last month, Breaking Defense reported that Israeli Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu secretly approved the sale before normalization of relations with the UAE was announced." https://breakingdefense.com/2020/09/sen ... ouse-push/

Top US lawmakers voice support for Israel’s military edge amid F-35 sale
24 Sep 2020 Joe Gould

"WASHINGTON ― Top Senate Foreign Relations Committee leaders Thursday invoked Israel’s qualitative military edge, signaling a complex path for a possible U.S. sale of F-35 joint strike fighters to the United Arab Emirates. At a hearing focused on Mideast issues, Chairman Jim Risch, R-Idaho, and ranking member Bob Menendez, D-N.J., highlighted their concerns to State Department officials over the possible deal. The two senators are key congressional gatekeepers on U.S. arms sales.

Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs David Hale, in response, said the State Department and Pentagon would vet any sale and “consult with the Israelis,” as well as Congress, before proceeding. “With all due respect, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist," Menendez said, “to figure out that if Israel’s the only country in the Middle East that has F-35s, that selling it to someone else no longer produces that qualitative military edge in the air.”

Israel is concerned the possible sale, which has been discussed along with a U.S.-brokered peace deal between the Jewish state and the UAE, would undermine Israel’s QME in the Middle East, which the U.S., under its own laws, must preserve. Reuters reported this week that the U.S. and UAE hope to have an initial agreement on the sale in place by December.... [then lots of hot air stuff]

...President Donald Trump’s senior adviser Jared Kushner’s secret push to sell the F-35 and other advanced arms has caused confusion and frustration among agencies and congressional committees that would normally be involved in such a sale but have been left in the dark, CNN reported last month. The arms sale talks have reportedly been led by the National Security Council’s senior director for the Middle East, Miguel Correa.

During questioning, Hale assured Menendez that any deal would follow a normal process. However, he could not directly answer some basic questions about the potential for F-35 sales. Asked whether the F-35 was under discussion, Hale said talks were ongoing about the UAE’s “security needs.” He said he was unaware whether the UAE had indicated a preferred timeline and a number of F-35s, or whether it had sent a letter of request ― a step that would begin the formal arms sale process. Asked what specific threats the F-35 would answer, Hale said, “it’s important that above all, we preserve Israel’s QME but also meet the legitimate defense needs of our partners in the Gulf.”..." [then lots more about QME etc.]

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... f-35-sale/

Unread postPosted: 10 Oct 2020, 09:49
by spazsinbad
Lots of hot air maybes in this article with a full stop at the end of a headline :shock: not much care taken in this one....
Will Trump sell F-35s to the UAE? Congress wants him to show his work.
09 Oct 2020 Joe Gould

"...How would the administration ensure the F-35′s sensitive technology isn’t threatened by the UAE’s ties to China (which sold it Wing Loong drones) and Russia (which is selling it the Sukhoi Su-35 fighter, the Pantsir S-1 missile defense system and the Kornet-E anti-tank missile system)? Has the UAE agreed to terminate cooperation and purchases with Russia and China in exchange for the F-35?

Warning that “U.S. national security and the safety of American troops could be seriously compromised by this sale,” they [letter Friday to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo by Senate Foreign Relations Committee ranking member Bob Menendez, D-N.J., and Senate Armed Services Committee ranking member Jack Reed, D-R.I.] said the administration’s “breakneck speed” toward a deal “seems more tied to the political calendar than a sober deliberation about regional security.”

The F-35 program has grown to eight partner nations and six Foreign Military Sales customers. “Have you, or will you,” the lawmakers wanted to know, “consult with our partners about these risks and their views of this potential sale to the UAE concluding the sale?”...

...Reuters reported that the U.S government is studying ways to make the F-35 more visible to Israeli radar systems. A working idea was for Israeli air defenses to be able to detect UAE-operated F-35s with technology that effectively defeats the stealth capabilities of the jets. If the aircraft would be reduced in their capabilities, the lawmakers want to know precisely how, with “a detailed written and graphic comparison.”... [everyone would want the Israeli secret radar don'cha know - seems to be a preposterous idea for UAE to go for that restriction]

...While many of the headlines surrounding the sale have focused on Israel’s QME, the UAE’s connections to Russia and China also present the Trump administration with serious questions. It’s unlikely that Abu Dhabi, which has developed those ties as a strategic hedge against its relationship with Washington, would give them up, said Samuel Ramani, a Mideast researcher at Oxford University...."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... -his-work/

Unread postPosted: 21 Oct 2020, 20:44
by spazsinbad
Lawmakers take steps to slow down sale of F-35s to UAE [BEST READ AT SOURCE FOR MORE DETAILS]
21 Oct 2020 Valerie Insinna

"WASHINGTON— Two Senate Democrats are hoping to slow roll the potential sale of the F-35 joint strike fighter to the United Arab Emirates, introducing on Oct. 20 legislation that would block the delivery of aircraft to Abu Dhabi unless the U.S. government meets certain criteria.

If adopted, the “Secure F-35 Exports Act of 2020” could have far-reaching impact on future sales of the Lockheed Martin fighter jet to other nations in the Middle East. The bill would require the White House to provide a report detailing the technical risks of selling the F-35 to any country that is not a NATO member or Japan, South Korea, Israel, Australia, New Zealand [GASP!].

For F-35 sales to Middle Eastern nations, the White House must also certify at multiple points during the sales process that the deal does not impede on Israel’s qualitative military edge and that the country meets certain criteria regarding human rights....

...It is unclear whether the legislation would apply to the pending sale of aircraft to Singapore, which was approved to purchase four F-35Bs earlier this year. Switzerland and Finland are also considering procuring the F-35, and as non-NATO countries would be subject to the reporting requirements if the bill is passed.

The U.S. government would likely be able to speed F-35 sales to Europe and the Asia-Pacific quickly through the bureaucratic hurdles posed by the legislation. However, the bill creates more difficult roadblocks for purchases by the Middle East — an emerging and mostly untapped market for the F-35.

At the start of the sales process, the U.S. president would need to certify that deals involving a Middle Eastern country wouldn’t compromise Israel’s QME, that the jets wouldn’t be used against Israel, that measures have been taken to protect the F-35 from espionage and that — should the customer nation violate one of those terms — the United States has the means to address that violation....

...The president must also certify that a Middle Eastern country has not acquired foreign technology to compromise the technology of such aircraft — particularly Russian or Chinese equipment. This is to prevent a situation similar to Turkey’s ouster from the F-35 program after it purchased the S-400 air defense system from Russia...."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... 5s-to-uae/

Unread postPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 20:37
by spazsinbad
Israel drops objection to US sale of ‘certain’ arms to UAE
23 Oct 2020 Joseph Krauss

"JERUSALEM — Israel said Friday it will not oppose the U.S. sale of “certain weapon systems” to the United Arab Emirates following an agreement with Washington to upgrade its own capabilities to preserve its military edge in the Middle East.

The statement, released by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Benny Gantz, did not specifically identify weapons systems, it but appeared to refer to the possible sale of F-35 stealth fighter jets, which the UAE hopes to obtain following its agreement to normalize ties with Israel.

Gantz’s office declined to elaborate on the statement, which was released late Friday in Israel, when the country is largely shut down for the Jewish Sabbath. There was no immediate comment from the Pentagon. President Donald Trump, at White House announcement of normalized ties between Israel and Sudan, confirmed that the F-35 talks were underway....

The Israeli statement said Gantz reached “understandings” with the Pentagon during a visit to Washington this week that “will allow the procurement of advanced weapon systems that will significantly upgrade Israel’s military capabilities, maintain its security and its military advantage in the region as well as its qualitative military edge in the coming decades.”

It said Gantz was “notified by the US administration of its plans to notify Congress of its intention to provide certain weapon systems to the UAE.” “The Prime Minister and the Defense Minister both agree that since the US is upgrading Israel’s military capability and is maintaining Israel’s qualitative military edge, Israel will not oppose the sale of these systems to the UAE,” it said....

...Critics have accused Netanyahu of lying over a key element that is believed to have clinched the deal for the UAE. Gantz, a political rival who formed a fractious coalition government with Netanyahu last spring, said he was kept in the dark about the UAE deal until the last minute. Netanyahu said in a statement late Friday that the discussion of arms sales only began after the normalization accords were concluded and that he did not object because the U.S. agreed to upgrade Israel’s own capabilities."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/global/mide ... ms-to-uae/

Unread postPosted: 27 Oct 2020, 11:46
by mixelflick
I see no issue with selling F-35's to the UAE, despite the tendency among many to compare it to selling F-14's to Iran. Israel by law is given a 5 year "head start" in terms of QME. The F-35 was delivered to Israel in 2016. Even if the sale is finalized today, it will be years before F-35's show up on in UAE service. Also, Israeli F-35's are the most extensively modified in the world, which alone should guarantee their superiority (to say nothing of their pilot training).

I see the latest is Israel requesting F-22's to guarantee their QME. For God's sake, we don't have enough F-22's as it is, no way we should be selling part of our fleet - even to our closest ME ally. And who's to say that tech doesn't show up in Chinese military hardware, the way the Lavi/J-10 and other weapons systems did? My guess is that Israel was promised the AIM-260, which should grant them the QME they seek to maximize. It'll give their F-35's an undeniable edge, and possibly breathe new life into their F-15C's. It's also possible they get F-15EX's, which I'm sure the AIM-260 will go with the EX like peanut butter and jelly. You could probably put hypersonic strike weapons in the same category... they'll get (and should get) those first too.

That would explain them "OK'ing" the sale..

Unread postPosted: 28 Oct 2020, 03:20
by spazsinbad
GO HERE FOR the 'tit for tat' for ISRAEL: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=29374&p=446112&hilit=SBIRS#p446112
Israel-UAE Normalization Takes Big Leaps; Process Remains Fragile
27 Oct 2020 Riad Kahwaji

"As the UAE and Israel make big progress in normalizing relations, analysts warn of actions that include obstructing the sale of the F-35 fighters to the UAE, that could derail the entire Abraham Accords, which might change the region's political landscape

DUBAI: The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Israel are making greater strides at normalizing relations more quickly than many had expected, and the scale of progress already dwarfs the size of the very limited normalization reached between Egypt and Israel — even though they signed their peace treaty in 1979.

As soon as the UAE-Israeli treaty was ratified, both states embarked on swift moves of implementation that included major steps such as lifting entry visa requirements on nationals of both countries, running regular commercial flights between the two states, and creating a joint investment fund. There are even reports of plans for a highway and train-track linking both countries and an oil pipeline from the UAE to Israel.

However, experts warn this whole process could be derailed quickly if Israeli partisan power politics leads to attempts to infringe on UAE sovereignty or to obstruct the sale of F-35 warplanes by the US to the UAE. The UAE signed its peace treaty with Israel on September 15, thus leading the way in a U.S.-brokered process known as the Abraham Accords, which has so far seen one other Arab country, Bahrain, come on board, and another one, Sudan, commit to signing a normalization peace pact with Israel....

...“If Israel tries in the future, whether directly, or indirectly, through its strong lobby in the U.S. to torpedo the F-35 deal, the UAE will very likely react negatively in a way that would hinder the normalization process,” added Abdullah [Abdulkhaleq Abdullah, a professor of political science from the UAE]. The UAE opened the door for the Abraham Accords, and any setback on its side would likely affect normalization tracks in other countries.

The UAE has already submitted a formal request to the U.S. government to purchase 24 F-35 fifth generation stealth fighters. The Trump Administration has sounded an initial approval to the deal but it still has to gain approvals of many branches of the U.S. government, including Congress. UAE sources expect the administration to fast-track the process to gain Senate approval before end of the year.

After the Israeli media and officials showed mixed feelings about the UAE F-35 deal, the government came out later to express “no objection.” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyaho and his coalition partner, Defense Minister Benny Gantz, have stated on October 23 that Israel will not oppose the U.S. sale of “specific weapon systems” to the UAE, in an apparent reference to the F-35 fighters...."

Source: https://breakingdefense.com/2020/10/isr ... s-fragile/

Unread postPosted: 30 Oct 2020, 05:15
by spazsinbad
Here it comes "WHOA bah dum de dum dumb Here Comes the NIGHT bah dah de dum dum woe woe woe woe yeah..." <sarc off>
Them - Here Comes the Night (Audio) ft. Van Morrison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSzlqr_MyTc

Addition: NOW more about it all similar to below: https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... -emirates/
&
https://breakingdefense.com/2020/10/som ... le-to-uae/
UAE could get up to 50 F-35s in $10B sale
29 Oct 2020 Joe Gould, Aaron Mehta & Valerie Insinna

"WASHINGTON — The U.S. State Department is backing the sale of as many as 50 F-35 joint strike fighters to the United Arab Emirates in an arms deal worth an estimated $10.4 billion, according to multiple reports.

The news came as the Trump administration informally briefed Congress on its plan to sell the advanced F-35 fighter to the United Arab Emirates Thursday. It follows weeks of speculation and behind-the-scenes debates about how to structure an F-35 deal with the UAE without cutting into Israel’s qualitative military edge...." [then lots of yadayadayada youse heard before]

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/2020/10/29/ ... -10b-sale/

Unread postPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 19:52
by spazsinbad
US State Dept. approves UAE’s purchase of F-35 jets, MQ-9 drones
10 Nov 2020 Aaron Mehta

"WASHINGTON — The U.S. State Department on Tuesday cleared a massive package of F-35 fighter jets and MQ-9 unmanned systems for the United Arab Emirates, making official a potential sale still opposed by many congressional Democrats.

In a statement, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that the package, which comes with an estimated price tag of $23.37 billion, includes up to 50 F-35s worth $10.4 billion, 18 MQ-9Bs worth $2.97 billion, and $10 billion worth of air-to-air and air-to-ground munitions....

...Potential foreign military sales notified to Congress are not guaranteed to move forward, and the quantities and dollar figures can often change during final negotiations. But even getting this far is a big win for the UAE, which has long sought the stealthy F-35; it also represents a win for the Trump administration, which has made increasing U.S. weapon exports a key part of its economic platform."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/global/mide ... epartment/

Unread postPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 01:16
by marauder2048
Looks like the first export customer for JSOW-ER.

fifty (50) AGM-154E Joint Stand Off Weapons – Extended Range (JSOW-ER)

Unread postPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 05:25
by weasel1962
The bulk of the munitions can be also used by the F-16s.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

https://www.dsca.mil/press-media/major- ... -support-0

The Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has requested to buy eight hundred two (802) AIM-120C8 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM); sixteen (16) AIM-120C8 AMRAAM guidance sections spares; two thousand four (2,004) MK-82 500LB General Purpose (GP) Bombs; seventy-two (72) MK-82 Inert 500LB GP Bombs; one thousand (1,000) MK-84 2,000LB GP Bombs; one thousand two (1,002) MK-83 1,000LB GP Bombs; two thousand five hundred (2,500) Small Diameter Bomb Increment 1 (SDB-1), GBU-39/B, with CNU-659/E Container; eight (8) GBU-39 SDB-1 Guided Test Vehicles; two thousand (2,000) KMU-572 Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) Tail Kit for 500LB Bombs; one thousand (1,000) KMU-556 JDAM Tail Kit for 2,000LB Bombs; one thousand (1,000) KMU-559 JDAM Tail Kit for 1,000LB Bombs; four thousand (4,000) FMU-139 Fuze systems; six hundred fifty (650) AGM-154C Joint Stand Off Weapons (JSOWs); fifty (50) AGM-154E Joint Stand Off Weapons – Extended Range (JSOW-ER); one hundred fifty (150) AGM-88E Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided Missile (AARGM) Tactical Missiles; six (6) CATM-88 AARGM CATMs. Also included are six (6) JSOW-C AGM-154C Captive Air Training Missiles (CATMs); six (6) JSOW-ER AGM-154E CATMs; ARD 446-1B and ARD 863-1A1W Impulse Cartridges; JSOW-C Dummy Air Training Missiles (DATM); JSOW-C Captive Flight Vehicles (CFVs); JSOW-ER DATMs; JSOW-ER CFVs; PGU-23/U training ammunition, encryption devices and keying equipment for test missiles (not for export); Laser Illuminated Target Detector, DSU-38A/B; software delivery and support; AIM-120C Captive Air Training Missiles (CATM) and Airborne Instrumented Units (AIU) Telemetry Sections; missile containers; munitions components; aircraft test and integration support; containers; mission planning; munitions security, storage and training; facility design, construction and quality standards; weapon operational flight program software development; transportation; tools and test equipment; support equipment; spare and repair parts; weapons and aircraft integration support and test equipment; publications and technical documentation; personnel training and training equipment, devices and software; U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical and logistics support services; site surveys; and other related elements of logistics and program support. The total estimated cost is $10.0 billion.

https://www.dsca.mil/press-media/major- ... ke-fighter

The Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has requested to buy up to fifty (50) F-35A Joint Strike Fighter Conventional Take-Off and Landing (CTOL) aircraft and fifty-four (54) Pratt & Whitney F-135 Engines (up to 50 installed and 4 spares). Also included are Electronic Warfare Systems; Command, Control, Communications, Computer and Intelligence/Communications, Navigational, and Identification (C4I/CNI); Autonomic Logistics Global Support System (ALGS); Operational Data Integrated Network (ODIN); Air System Training Devices; Weapons Employment Capability and other Subsystems, Features, and Capabilities; F-35 unique chaff and infrared flares; reprogramming center access; F-35 Performance Based Logistics; software development/integration; aircraft ferry and tanker support; aircraft and munitions support and test equipment; communications equipment; provisioning, spares and repair parts; weapons repair and return support; personnel training and training equipment; weapon systems software, publications and technical documents; U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical, and logistics support services; and other related elements of logistical and program support. The total estimated cost is $10.4 billion.

https://www.dsca.mil/press-media/major- ... d-aircraft

The Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has requested to buy up to eighteen (18) Weapons-Ready MQ-9B, Remotely Piloted Aircraft; twenty-five (25) Raytheon Multi-Spectral Targeting Systems-D (MTS-D) EO/IR Sensors; nineteen (19) Lynx AN/APY-8 Synthetic Aperture Radars (SAR) with Ground Moving Target Indicator (GTMI); eighteen (18) RIOTM Communication Intelligence Systems; sixty-six (66) Embedded Global Positioning System/Inertial Navigations Systems (EGI) with Selective Availability Anti-Spoofing Modules (SAASMs); five hundred fifteen (515) AGM-114R Hellfire Missiles; twelve (12) KMU-572 Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM) Tail Kits for 500LB Bombs; four (4) MXU-650 Airfoil Groups for 500LB Paveway II GBU-12; seven (7) MXU-1006 Airfoil Groups for 250LB Paveway II GBU-58; eleven (11) MAU-169 or MAU-209 Computer Control Groups (CCGs) for 250LB/500LB Paveway II GBU-58/GBU-12; six (6) FMU-139 Fuse Systems; twelve (12) MK-82 General Purpose 500LB Inert Bombs; and four (4) GBU-39 Small Diameter Bomb (SDB) Guided Test Vehicle (GTV) Inert Practice Munitions (T-1) with Fuse. Also included are Honeywell TPE-331 turboprop engines; Certifiable Ground Control Stations (CGCS); mobile Satellite Communication Ground Data Terminals (SGDTs); Link-16 KOR-24A Small Tactical Terminals; Automatic Information System (AIS); Rohde & Schwartz UHF/VHF radios; AN/DPX-7 IFF Transponders; Satellite Communication (SATCOM) antennas and modems with USG encryption; Secure SATCOM systems; SeaSpray 7500 maritime radars; SAGE 750 Electronic Surveillance Measures System; KY-100M security voice terminals; KIV-77 Mode 5 IFF cryptographic appliques; U.S. Government Certified Encryption Solution; Rover 6i compatible systems; MQ-9B training simulator; Due Regard Radars (DRR); Electronic Warfare (EW) in-country threat library programming capability; BRU-71A bomb racks; BRU-78/A bomb racks; Hellfire missile rail kits; AN/AWM-103/B Station Stores Test Sets; Common Munitions Built-in-Test Reprogramming Equipment (CMBRE) Plus Block II; Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) mission kits, receivers, and acoustic processors; AN/SSQ-36B thermometric sonobuoys; AN/SSQ-53G passive sonobuoys; AN-SSQ-62F active sonobuoys; ASW acoustic operator workstations; weapons loading equipment; initial spare and repair parts; hard points, power, and data connections for weapons integration; DSU-38 Laser Illuminated Target Detector for GBU-54; AN/PYQ-10C Simple Key Loaders; Electronic Intelligence System; weapons integration; support and test equipment; publications and technical documentation; personnel training and training equipment; U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical, and logistics support services; and other related elements of logistical and program support. The overall total estimated value is $2.97 billion.

Unread postPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 07:43
by weasel1962
A high level estimate of the prices show the UAE is either paying 2-3 times the price for the munitions or there are other items not listed. The F-35A pricing is about there. The MQ-9B is also on the high side. 515 Hellfires is only ~$50-$200m leaving the rest to mean $150m per reaper.

Unread postPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 14:15
by mixelflick
It sure looks like they're building up the UAE as a possible buffer to Iran. For a long time now, that was the Saudi's role IMO. A coalition of the US, Israel, UAE and SA (and possibly Quatar) would really be something.

I get a bad vibe out of Egypt though, given all of the Russian equipment they're buying. A Russia, Iran and Egypt coalition would be quite the powerhouse. I wonder.... if Washington is concerned too with Egypt, and thus this armament package for the UAE?

Unread postPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 19:49
by spazsinbad
UAE Cleared to Buy F-35As and MQ-9Bs
11 Nov 2020 David Donald

"On November 10 the U.S. State Department approved three possible Foreign Military Sales to the United Arab Emirates. The three packages, potentially worth in excess of $23 billion, cover the sale of Lockheed Martin F-35s, which the UAE has sought for some time, and the acquisition of the General Atomics MQ-9B SkyGuardians. The third approval is for a huge package of fighter weapons.

The $10.4 billion F-35 purchase covers up to 50 F-35A conventional takeoff/landing aircraft, complete with Pratt & Whitney F135 engines and four spare powerplants. Related equipment includes electronic warfare, command and control, and computer/navigation suites. Training and logistics support is covered, as is delivery, including the provision of aerial tanker support....

... the deal includes 515 AGM-114R Hellfire missiles, with tail kits and Paveway II guidance kits that can turn 250-pound and 500-pound general-purpose bombs into laser-guided precision weapons....

...Covered by the third approval, the UAE plans to buy a large package of air-launched weaponry potentially worth $10 billion. On the shopping list are AIM-120C8 AMRAAM air-to-air missiles, GBU-39 Small Diameter Bombs, AGM-88E Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided Missiles (AARGMs), AGM-154C Joint Stand-Off Weapon (JSOW) missiles, and the extended-range AGM-154E JSOW-ER derivative. Large numbers of Mk 82 (250-pound), Mk 83 (1,000-pound), and Mk 84 (2,000-pound) bomb warheads are included, along with the tailkits and fuzes necessary to modify them into Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) GPS-guided bombs...."

Source: https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... and-mq-9bs

Unread postPosted: 11 Nov 2020, 20:25
by spazsinbad
The Clock is Ticking On F-35, Drone Sale to UAE
11 Nov 2020 Marcus Weisgerber

"Lame-duck approval of sale could allow UAE to sign contract for weapons before Biden takes office. The clock is ticking on the Trump administration’s push to sell F-35 fighter jets, armed Reaper drones, and a bevy of bombs and missiles to the United Arab Emirates. The State Department notified Congress Tuesday that it had approved the $23.4 billion sale. Lawmakers now have 30 days to object. But there’s little chance of stopping the deal, experts said....

...While the Trump administration approved the sales, contracts for the weapons have not been finalized. UAE could sign contracts as soon as soon as Dec. 10, when the clock runs out on the congressional review process. It’s rare for Congress to outright block an arms deal, but it can slow them.

EA-18G Growler electronic attack jets were reportedly also part of the arms package being offered to UAE, but the warplanes were not included in Tuesday's announcement...." [ https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/us/p ... apons.html ]

Source: https://www.defenseone.com/business/202 ... ae/169951/

Unread postPosted: 12 Nov 2020, 04:13
by marauder2048
Was just looking at the federal register on the UAE arms sale and this caught my eye:

https://www.congress.gov/116/crec/2020/11/10/CREC-2020-11-10-pt1-PgS6646.pdf

The AGM–154E JSOW–ER adds an engine, and supporting components, to the
JSOW C Airframe. The JSOW–ER uses the 300-pound Maverick Warhead due to its
smaller size, thereby creating room for fuel, but maintains the same penetration
capability as the JSOW C.

My emphasis. They are abandoning a BROACH variant.

Unread postPosted: 12 Nov 2020, 06:27
by edpop
From Defense Industry Daily:

The US State Department cleared sales of F-35 fighter jets and MQ-9 unmanned systems for the United Arab Emirates, making official a potential sale still opposed by many congressional Democrats. The DoS formally approved a potential $23.4 billion arms sale to the United Arab Emirates, including up to 50 F-35s, 18 MQ-9s, and both air-to-air and air-to-ground munitions. In a statement, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced the massive arms sale package, which includes up to 50 F-35 jets worth $10.4 billion, 18 MQ-9B drones worth $2.97 billion, and $10 billion of munitions. “The proposed sale will make the UAE even more capable and interoperable with US partners in a manner fully consistent with America’s longstanding commitment to ensuring Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge,” said the statement.

Unread postPosted: 13 Nov 2020, 03:31
by weasel1962
Consider what kind of target set the UAE is looking at with the JSOW-ER. Its enough range to target most of Iran from gulf waters or within UAE airspace. WDU-24 isn't big enough to bring down buildings.

I'm guessing ballistic missile launchers. Also includes Houthi ones in Yemen so not just Iran.

Unread postPosted: 13 Nov 2020, 05:19
by marauder2048
weasel1962 wrote:Consider what kind of target set the UAE is looking at with the JSOW-ER. Its enough range to target most of Iran from gulf waters or within UAE airspace. WDU-24 isn't big enough to bring down buildings.

I'm guessing ballistic missile launchers. Also includes Houthi ones in Yemen so not just Iran.

That makes sense.

The BROACH data I have for JSOW-C/C-1 is 4 - 5 feet of penetration in 2000 psi concrete.

Given the typical penetration scaling for harder concretes, that's still more than enough to
deny the use of highway overpasses as cover for TELs.

Unread postPosted: 13 Nov 2020, 19:49
by spazsinbad
MORE on POLITICS of SALE: https://breakingdefense.com/2020/11/f-3 ... ver-libya/
In F-35 sale to UAE, Senate seeks State Dept. guarantee for US technology and Israel
13 Nov 2020 Joe Gould

"WASHINGTON ― Senate appropriators are calling on the State Department to certify that a pending sale of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters to the United Arab Emirates would not threaten Israel’s military edge or make U.S. military systems vulnerable to Russia and China. The bipartisan legislation, introduced Nov. 10 by the GOP-led Senate Appropriations Committee, represents another potential hurdle for the U.S. sale...

...The provision from Senate appropriators reads: "Prior to the sale of the F–35 joint strike fighter to the UAE, the Secretary of State, in consultation with heads of relevant Federal agencies, shall certify and report to the Committee that such sale: (1) does not diminish Israel’s qualitative military edge; and (2) poses no vulnerabilities to U.S. military to U.S. military systems and technology vis-a`-vis the Russian Federation and [People’s Republic of China].

To avoid a government shutdown, Washington has to come together and pass a budget deal before stopgap spending legislation expires Dec. 11 or pass another funding patch.

The F-35 deal follows the signing of the Abraham Accords, a normalization agreement between Israel, the United Arab Emirates and the U.S. Pompeo, in his announcement of the F-35 deal, said it recognized UAE’s need to defend itself from Iran and that it was consistent with America’s commitment to ensuring Israel’s “qualitative military edge” ― a U.S. legal standard that Israel maintain a military technological advantage over its neighbors.

Though arms sales are subject to congressional holds by tradition, the Trump administration could move aggressively on the sale, and then, if lawmakers objected, they could introduce a joint resolution of disapproval to block the sale."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... nd-israel/

Unread postPosted: 19 Nov 2020, 10:37
by spazsinbad
Lawmakers introduce resolutions to block Trump’s F-35 sale to UAE
18 Nov 2020 Joe Gould

"WASHINGTON ― A bipartisan group of lawmakers introduced new legislation Wednesday that would halt the Trump administration’s push to circumvent Congress and expedite a $23 billion sale of F-35 fighter jets, Reaper drones and munitions to the United Arab Emirates.

A series of resolutions were announced after lawmakers said they failed to get satisfactory answers from State Department officials over plans to sell the sophisticated weapons. Lawmakers say the administration’s rush to complete the sale is ignoring risks to sensitive military technology posed by UAE’s ties to Russia and China ― and to Israel’s military edge in the Middle East...."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... le-to-uae/

Unread postPosted: 19 Nov 2020, 11:01
by Corsair1963
UAE / F-35 deal very likely to go through....Plus, not like US hasn't sold them highly classified weapons and technology before. Plus, even Israel as signed off on it.

Unread postPosted: 24 Nov 2020, 07:29
by spazsinbad
Why UAE F-35 deal makes sense to Washington - and Israel
20 Nov 2020 Flight International

"...In what now looks set to be a final flurry of defence sale approvals before the Trump administration makes way for US President-elect Joe Biden in January, Washington had just weeks before drawn China’s ire by backing the sale of new F-16s and General Atomics Aeronautical Systems MQ-9B unmanned air vehicles to Taiwan.

But what directly advanced the prospect of 50 F-35As and related weapons, plus 18 armed MQ-9Bs boosting the UAE’s military capability, was its recent normalisation of relations with Israel. Brokered via the USA, this development has already seen the commencement of direct commercial flights between the nations.

The strengthening of another US ally in the Middle East region is seen as good news for pretty much everyone but Iran. As Washington turns its attention to preparing for potential future conflicts withChina and Russia, arming its friends elsewhere with the best equipment it can offer spares its assets for the bigger battles to come. Job creation at home is a further bonus.

With stealthy F-35As, plus its Saab GlobalEye surveillance aircraft, the UAE will have a highly capable air force fleet – more than able to address the threat posed by Iran’s military.

As for Israel, its air force now operates 23 F-35I Adirs from a planned 50-strong fleet of the type. The Israeli air force already operates 23 F-35I Adir fighters

While it already has this technological head start on the UAE, it also retains a unique status in being able to update the aircraft with its own systems. As such, it won’t be getting outmanoeuvred by its neighbours any time soon."

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/flight-int ... 87.article

Unread postPosted: 04 Dec 2020, 07:49
by spazsinbad
Senate to vote on banning $23 billion UAE arms sales next week
03 Dec 2020 Joe Gould

"WASHINGTON ― The Senate will vote next week on legislation to halt the Trump administration’s $23 billion sale of F-35 fighter jets, Reaper drones and munitions to the United Arab Emirates, a lawmaker said Thursday.

Four pending joint resolutions of disapproval offer lawmakers a chance to block the Trump administration’s 11th hour proposal to transfer arms to the Emirates. Critics say the sales, meant to bolster the UAE against Iran, ignores risks to Israel and to sensitive military technology posed by UAE’s ties to Russia and China....

...In the House, Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., introduced corresponding resolutions, but there’s been no announcement on the timing there...."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... arms-sale/

Unread postPosted: 04 Dec 2020, 07:56
by marauder2048
spazsinbad wrote: the Trump administration’s 11th hour proposal to transfer arms to the Emirates.

For a package based on a letter of request that dates back to Obama.

Unread postPosted: 05 Dec 2020, 02:21
by spazsinbad
UAE F-35 Sale ‘Possible’ Before Biden’s Sworn In, Trump Official Says; US Sold $175B In Arms
04 Dec 2020 Paul McLeary

"I get asked if it's possible, absolutely it’s possible," Heidi Grant, director of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, told reporters at the Pentagon Friday. But some in Congress are working to block the deal.

"WASHINGTON: Trump administration officials believe they can wrap up the recent proposed sale of F-35s to the UAE before President-elect Joe Biden is sworn in on Jan. 20.

“I get asked if it’s possible; absolutely it’s possible,” Heidi Grant, director of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, told reporters at the Pentagon Friday. “But, you know, we don’t control it. We’re waiting on the Congress benchmark. Then we’re gonna wait once we offer it for the Emiratis it’s up to them as far as timelines, but it’s possible.”...

...Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu secretly approved the F-35 sale as part of a normalization deal with UAE earlier this year, in exchange for the sale of more F-35s to Israel, access to highly classified systems on the F-35 that Israel can’t currently import, [what does this mean?] and potentially gaining Israel access to highly classified SBIRS satellites...." [and lots of lahdedah all been heard before above in recent posts about the 'to do' generated]

Source: https://breakingdefense.com/2020/12/uae ... b-in-arms/

Unread postPosted: 05 Dec 2020, 05:41
by spazsinbad
US Officials Say They Can Seal F-35 Sale to UAE Before Trump Leaves
04 Dec 2020 Marcus Weisgerber

"But that would depend on both Congress and the Gulf state.

The U.S. could seal a controversial deal sale of F-35 fighter jets to the United Arab Emirates before President Trump exits the White House in January, a top defense official said Friday. “You ask if it’s possible? Absolutely it’s possible,” said Heidi Grant, who leads the Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the Pentagon office that oversees foreign arms sales. Grant was asked by reporters at the Pentagon whether UAE could sign a contract for the planes before Jan. 20, when President-elect Joe Biden is to be sworn in as president. “But we don’t control it,” she said during a briefing at the Pentagon....

...Even if Congress does not block the sale, a number of bureaucratic hurdles remain before a contract for Lockheed Martin-made jets is finalized. UAE must submit a letter of offer and acceptance, or LOA, to the State Department. “That’s a bilateral process between the United States and UAE,” R. Clarke Cooper, the assistant secretary of state for Political-Military Affairs, said during Friday’s briefing. “That does not have a particular set timeline. Obviously, when we work on LOAs, in any case, the partners certainly would like to see it done sooner than later, but it does not have date specificity.”"

Source: https://www.defenseone.com/business/202 ... es/170516/

Unread postPosted: 09 Jan 2021, 01:24
by spazsinbad
US Could Finalize UAE F-35 Deal By Inauguration Day
08 Jan 2021 Paul McLeary

"Congress narrowly failed to block the controversial $23 billion deal the Trump administration forged with the UAE, and the Biden team has expressed skepticism, but the rush is on to wrap it up

WASHINGTON: The US and UAE might finalize the first of several contracts on a controversial $23.3 billion arms package before President-elect Joe Biden is sworn in on Jan. 20, a top State Department official said today.

“Everything’s in the trajectory for conclusion,” R. Clarke Cooper, assistant secretary of state for political-military affairs, told reporters Friday. “The sales, of course, have been well put together by the interagency and have cleared our Congress as well.”

The deal, which includes 50 F-35A fighters worth $10.4 billion, 18 MQ-9B drones at $2.97 billion, and $10 billion worth of air-to-air and air-to-ground munitions, drew criticism from some lawmakers, who worried about the possible erosion of Israeli military supremacy in the region.

Biden’s nominee to be Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, told reporters in November the pending sale “is something we would look at very, very carefully, and make sure that the QME (Qualitative Military Edge) is preserved and also — very important — that Congress play a role.”

Blinken met with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for the first time today, a State Department official confirmed...."

Source: https://breakingdefense.com/2021/01/us- ... ation-day/

Unread postPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 20:33
by spazsinbad
Lawsuit threatens $23B weapons sale to UAE [Lots more ladedah at the URL]
12 Jan 2021 Joe Gould

"WASHINGTON ― A small, 2-year-old nonprofit think tank has taken a step that most advocacy organizations never dare try: It has sued the U.S. State Department to derail a $23 billion arms sale to the United Arab Emirates.

In a legal claim announced last month, the New York Center For Foreign Policy Affairs asserted that the Trump administration failed to provide a reasonable explanation for its decision to sell F-35 fighter jets and other weapons to the UAE, which places it in breach of the Administrative Procedure Act. It has asked the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to find the sale invalid.

The case is unusual, as is the theory of the case, but so is the Trump administration’s approach to the sale, said Brittany Benowitz, a legal expert on human rights and arms trade. Such legal challenges rarely succeed, but if this one does, it could halt the deal even if Washington and Abu Dhabi follow through with plans to sign contracts in the waning days of the Trump administration. “If you can say this deal was executed improperly and the contractor was on notice of that, which they are, then I think you can say it’s possible to stop the sale before delivery,” Benowitz said....

In the U.S., there has not been a successful court case of targeting government-to-government sales in recent years, according to Benowitz. What’s also unusual about the New York Center For Foreign Policy Affairs’ approach is that it doesn’t rely on a human rights argument but rather points to aberrations in the process ― particularly past end-use violations that ought to have disqualified the UAE, she said.

“There have been court challenges to arms sales in the past on human rights grounds, but this challenge on national security grounds under the Administrative Procedure Act is unprecedented,” she said. “It’s rare because we have never had a record of irregularities like the one we have now.”

By Benowitz’s reckoning, if a finalized deal is invalidated in the courts and it is found that the deal never should have been entered in the first place, its unlikely the U.S. could be penalized financially by the UAE. “To get a remedy, or damages, under contract law, you have to have ‘clean hands,’ so it would be difficult for the Emiratis to recoup,” she said."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... le-to-uae/

Unread postPosted: 21 Jan 2021, 05:43
by spazsinbad
UAE signs deal with U.S. to buy 50 F-35 jets and up to 18 drones: sources
21 Jan 2021 Mike Stone

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United Arab Emirates has signed an agreement with the United States to purchase 50 F-35 jets and up to 18 armed drones, people familiar with the situation told Reuters on Wednesday.

Although the UAE and the United States were working to ink a deal before President Joseph Biden took office on Wednesday, the new president has said he will re-examine the agreements....

...One of the people said the agreement was signed about an hour before Biden was sworn into office. The document gave the United Arab Emirates the chance to accept the negotiated schedule and configuration of the jets while also making the purchase request official.

The UAE has had the paperwork for more than a week, the people said. The UAE and the United States had once hoped to have a deal in place in December, but the timing of jet deliveries, their cost, the technology packages and training associated with the deal extended negotiations, the people said....

...The final in-country delivery date for the F-35 jets could not immediately be confirmed, but the initial proposal sent to UAE said 2027, the people said."

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-emi ... SL1N2JV1UM

Unread postPosted: 21 Jan 2021, 07:05
by Corsair1963
Hardly, surprising......

If, Biden cancels it that would spells doom and gloom for Military Sales and the US Economy in general...... :shock:

Unread postPosted: 21 Jan 2021, 08:33
by charlielima223
Corsair1963 wrote:Hardly, surprising......

If, Biden cancels it that would spells doom and gloom for Military Sales and the US Economy in general...... :shock:

Biden's administration will destroy that deal. Why? Biden did want to go back to the craptastic treaty of appeasement to Iran. What better way to start that process then to torpedo UAE getting F-35s? UAE, Bahrain, and Morocco didnt decide to normalize with Israel because they liked them, NO. Those countries in the ME know that Iran is a threat to their security and economy.