Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

doge

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post20 Mar 2021, 09:41

L-002 flew. :shock: :applause:
Attachments
Fort Worth, Texas, The 2nd F-35A for the RDAF and the 34th F-35A for the RAAF, March 18, 2021.jpg

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post30 Mar 2021, 09:51

ON page 12 of this thread there is a story about 'KIN' [ viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4450&p=450050&hilit=Danish#p450050 ] and his first flight in the F-35A - here is MORE.
The F-35 is a 'Significantly Better Tool'
26 Feb 2021 Andreas Lindqvist, Ingeniøren

"The first F-35 pilot of Denmark has now flown 10 times in the new fighter. He tells how it differs from the 40-year-old F-16.

The first time I met KIN was in 2011 on a beautiful spring day at the Italian island Sicily. I am on a trip to cover a story from the Sigonella air base, from where the Allies are flying to the air war over Libya, which was going to help remove the dictator of the country, Muammar Gadaffi.

The pilot with the flight name KIN - his civil name is confidential - has just landed from one of the long expeditions across the Mediterranean and into the North African country to hit strategic targets with the bunker busts that were among the specialties in Denmark in the war. This is the first time Danish fighter pilots have dropped bombs in war. And there are demands for them – later when the total has been settled, they have thrown almost a thousand, an eighth of the that the alliance has dropped down on Libya.

But it is also an uncomfortable and risky affair for the Danish pilots to fly so far over sea and over the enemy in the single-engine F-16. Therefore, the 'sharp' mission is also a natural place to start when I talk to KIN again 10 years later.

First Dane in F-35
In the meantime, the experienced fighter pilot has become the first Dane to fly the F-35. Currently, he is at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona training to be an instructor for the rest of the Danish pilots.

Now, he has flown 10 trips in the state-of-the-art stealth fighter aircraft, of which Denmark has ordered 27. The first will be in Denmark in 2023. They cost almost half a billion DKK each, and in addition there are equipment, buildings and operating costs, which multiply the bill.

But from a pilot’s point of view, it is worth the money, says KIN. Not least because the F-35 alone can solve many of the tasks of surveillance, electronic warfare and attack which in Libya required various specialized aircraft in the air at the same time.

"Where we were in Libya we had to be supported by many different platforms in order to succeed, fewer F-35s will be able to solve the task without the support of other aircraft. To a large extent we will get self-protection, and object designation will be of a completely different calibre. And the F-35 greatly relieves the pilot with the assurance that we hit the right object, which we then spent a lot of resources on," KIN says.

The 40-year-old F-16 is, despite constant upgrades, about to be an old aircraft. It even lacks the digital navigation map, which is now standard even in semi-cheap cars. And it does not collect the information about, for example, airspace, radar, targets, weapons and other activity for the pilot.

But in the F-35, it all gets fused in a kind of extended tablet interface, where the pilot can set up his 'desk' with 3D cards and instruments and have data sent to his HUD - head-up display - the visor. It reduces work pressure, stress level and the risk of making fatal mistakes.

“In the F-16, for example, I have to call up the information from the targeting pod, decipher it, round it correctly and manually put it into the flight computer. And then double check if these are the right coordinates I have chosen before I bomb them. In another system, I have to pick my weapons and make sure the bombs have the right profiles. At the same time, I have to keep an eye on the radar to see if there are any hostile activities," he explains.

Yet, KIN has not fully got used to the cockpit, although there is more space - he thinks it is a hassle to get settled in the aircraft, and the ergonomics are different. But he has no doubt he would have felt significantly more secure on the Libya mission in the new fighter.

Still one engine - but better
The F-35 is a single engine just like the F-16, and he is therefore still only one serious engine failure from shooting out. Among other things, he is harder to see for the enemy and he has a better overview.

“It is a significantly better and more modern engine. At the same time, the F-35 has a much better gliding number than the F-16," KIN says. [FatBoySlim] :twisted:

Like other things with the F-35, the exact number is confidential. But the reason why the plane can glide for longer is obvious. The F-16 is a so-called dirty fighter. On paper, it can reach mach 2 and handle 9G. But when bombs, fuel tanks and various equipment are put on the outside, the air resistance is completely different.

The F-35, on the other hand, is a stealth fighter, and to keep the 'invisible' profile on radar, everything is stored inside the fuselage. This means, the flight characteristics are always similar to the brochure.

“You are not as limited. And that means you always have a clean plane. And if you are threatened, you can move significantly better in the F-35", KIN says.

So far, he has flown A to B, he has flown dogfights against other F-35 fighters, and then he has flown low over ground. Therefore, it is also time to ask him to stop being the officer and spokesman of the Defense for a minute and find his inner boy.

Is it awesome?
“Yes, damn it. The interaction between pilot and fighter is intuitive. The autopilot is super smart and can really relieve you. The engine has a larger diameter, so it presses significantly more, and you can feel it. And then it just glides through the air because it is so streamlined. And then the systems with the app interface and the helmet, where I can look through myself with all the cameras that sit all the way around. It's super delicious," KIN says.

He highlights how he helps in a new type such as the F-35 can help develop completely new air combat techniques. How the approach of the F-35 can be much steeper before stall than the F-16. How the autopilot also controls speed in formation instead of just height as in its predecessor.

But is it also fun - it sounds like it's a bit more of a push on a button, and then you fly?

“Fighter jets are mostly a tool. It is not about going out and having fun, throwing it around and making loops and rolls. But as a tool, this is significantly better. And in air fight you can really feel the engine pushing more. And the more I look at it, I think damn well, it's nice", KIN says."

Source: https://www.f35.com/f35/news-and-featur ... -tool.html
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

doge

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post02 Apr 2021, 08:17

spazsinbad wrote:
The F-35 is a 'Significantly Better Tool'
26 Feb 2021 Andreas Lindqvist, Ingeniøren

“It is a significantly better and more modern engine. At the same time, the F-35 has a much better gliding number than the F-16," KIN says. [FatBoySlim] :twisted:
Source: https://www.f35.com/f35/news-and-featur ... -tool.html

Its Long Cruising Range !! :applause:

L-002 Takeoff. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTxueXiiwAQ
Attachments
RDAF F-35 L-002.jpg

basher54321

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post07 Apr 2021, 16:41

On April 7, 2021, the Royal Danish Air Force celebrated the rollout of its first F-35A, known as L-001, at a ceremony in Fort Worth, Texas. Here’s a look at L-001’s journey from production to delivery

https://www.f35.com/f35/news-and-featur ... nt=rollout
When Obi Wan logged onto Twitter: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious"

doge

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Apr 2021, 17:18

Denmark | F-35 Rollout Celebration. :applause:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZojTzJ3v78

Denmark Forsvaret Channel Video. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2BGZRT1O0o (Language is Danish. Use Google Translate.)

Forsvaret
April 6, 2021
It will be a big day The Air Force, and it will be a big day for Denmark, because it is something we have been waiting for so long, and many are talking about the F-35. With the F-35, many countries have joined forces to build a fighter jet, and this means that it has been technologically possible to achieve a fighter jet that is at the forefront of everything you know and can do today. What makes the F-35 unique is the large sensor package.
You can detect threats that you have not been able to detect before. You can compare it a bit with - especially in relation to the amount of information the plane can obtain but also receive - a bit like going from where we in the old days talked on the phone, now we have come to the Internet. If a ballistic missile launches, it will detect it with its sensors.

It will send the measurement data to units on land or on the lake that can defeat the missile. We can to a greater extent work with our colleagues in the Army and in the Navy with the F-35. The aircraft is built as a so-called "low observability", or what is popularly called stealth aircraft. Ie. that the aircraft is very difficult to detect - especially on radars - but also in relation to heat-seeking sensors.
There were slightly different needs that made it necessary to build the F-35 in three versions. The B model, was the one that could take off and take off vertically, and the C model, which could take off and land from an aircraft carrier. So, one can ask why we have chosen the A-model, why for example the B-model? Being able to take off and land vertically means that the plane cannot carry that much.

There is also a lift rotor inside the plane when it needs to hang still in the air. It fills a lot and takes a lot of weight. As soon as the plane is in the air, it's just deadweight. And by the way, a very complicated system, which requires much more maintenance. We have already sent instructors to the United States to start training. The next thing that is going to happen is in 2023.
there we get the first Danish F-35 in Denmark. and we can thus begin the implementation of the aircraft in Denmark. The way fighter jets are used has changed enormously. when we bought the F-16, which was about air combat, a bit of what someone wants to know from old movies, what is called dogfight, then you had to go in behind, so you could either shoot the plane with the cannon or with short-range heat-seeking missiles.

which the great could only shoot if one was quite close. Today, air combat is something completely different. It's about being able to see with your radars the enemies you may be up against, at a long distance, where it becomes more of a chess game about being able to see the other before he can see me, or being able to hit him before he can hit me. We can not fly further in the F-16 because the load-bearing parts of the fuselage have become tired.
And these are the ones of all the g-forces they have been pulling through for 40 years. They were originally designed to hold 6,000 flight hours, and we have exceeded that for most of our flights. if we were to fly further in them, then would have to impose restrictions on, on the one hand, how many g-forces they must pull, how many weapons and extra fuel tanks they can carry, which does,

that they will not be relevant in crisis and war scenarios, where they must be able to provide their optimal Here at Skrydstrup, where we are building, a new building for the F-35 aircraft. It is a building that has some special security levels. It is also part of changing an environment and a culture in relation to the fact that there is a different safety regime around the F-35.
We can manage with fewer F-35s than F-16 aircraft because we can do more realistic simulator training for the pilots. A fresh aircraft frame with fewer faults, which means that we can have much more uptime on every single frame, also - this with - the F-35 is a much more efficient fighter aircraft than the F-16.

There is no doubt that the F-35 is the best choice for Denmark. For over 10 years, one has had a group of people who have analyzed all aspects of all the aircraft that have been possible topics.
Throughout the process of making the decision, one has examined all these candidates and looked at everything from military aspects, strategic aspects, economic aspects, one looked at a total of seven areas and there was not a single area where The F-35 did not become the best.
Original Danish Language.
Det bliver en stor dag Flyvevåbnet, og det bliver en stor dag for Danmark, for det er noget, som vi har ventet på så længe, og mange taler om F-35. Med F-35 er man gået sammen mange lande om at bygge et kampfly, og det gør, at man rent teknologisk har kunnet opnå et kampfly, der er helt på forkant med alt, hvad man kender og kan i dag. Det der gør F-35 unikt, det er den store sensorpakke.
Man kan opdage trusler, som man ikke tidligere har kunnet opdage. Man kan sammenligne det lidt med - især i forhold til den informationsmængde flyet kan indhente men også modtage - lidt ligesom at gå fra, hvor vi i gamle dage talte i telefon, nu er vi kommet på internettet. Hvis der kommer en ballistisk missilaffyring, så vil den opdage det med sine sensorer.
Den vil sende måledataen til enheder på landjorden eller på søen, som kan nedkæmpe missilet. Vi kan i højere grad arbejde sammen med vores kollegaer i Hæren og i Søværnet med F-35. Flyet er bygget som et såkaldt "low observability", eller det man i folkemunde kalder stealth fly. Dvs. at flyet er meget svært at opdage - især på radarer - men også i forhold til varmesøgende sensorer.
Der var lidt forskellige behov, der gjorde, at man blev nødt til at bygge F-35 i tre versioner. B-modellen, var den som kunne starte og lette lodret, og C-modellen, som kan starte og lande fra et hangarskib. Altså, man kan spørge, hvorfor vi har valgt A-modellen, hvorfor eksempelvis B-modellen? Det at kunne starte og lande lodret, betyder at flyet ikke kan bære så meget.
Der sidder også en løftroter inde i flyet, når det skal hænge stille i luften. Den fylder en masse og tager en masse vægt. Så snart flyet er i luften, så er det jo bare dødvægt. Og i øvrigt et meget kompliceret system, som kræver meget mere vedligeholdelse. Vi har allerede sendt instruktører til USA, som skal begynde at starte uddannelsen op. Det næste, der kommer til at ske, er i 2023.
der får vi de første danske F-35 i Danmark. og vi kan således begynde implementeringen af flyet i Danmark. Måden, man anvender kampfly på, har ændret sig helt enormt. dengang vi købte F-16, der handlede luftkamp om, lidt det nogen vil kende fra gamle film, det man kalder dogfight, så skulle man ind bagved, så man enten kunne skyde flyet med kanonen eller med kortrækkende varmesøgende missiler.
som storset kun kunne skyde, hvis man var helt tæt på. I dag er luftkamp noget helt andet. Der handler det om med sine radarer at kunne se de fjender, man måtte være oppe imod, på lang afstand, hvor det mere bliver et skakspil om at kunne se den anden, før han kan se mig, eller kunne ramme ham, før han kan ramme mig. Vi kan ikke flyve videre i F-16, fordi de bærende dele i skroget er blevet trætte.
Og det er de af alle de g-kræfter, de har trukket igennem 40 år. De var oprindeligt designet til at kunne holde 6.000 flyvetimer, og det har vi overskredet for de fleste af vores fly. hvis vi skulle flyve videre i dem, så skulle til at indføre begrænsninger på, dels hvor mange g-kræfter, de må trække, hvor meget våben og ekstra brændstoftanke, de kan bære, som gør,
at de ikke vil være relevante i krise og krigsscenarioer, hvor de skal kunne yde deres optimale Her på Skrydstrup, der bygger vi, en ny bygning til F-35 flyene. Det er en bygning, som har nogle særlige sikkerhedsniveauer. Det er også en del af at ændre et miljø og en kultur i forhold til, at der et anden sikkerhedsregime omkring F-35.
Vi kan klare os med færre F-35 end F-16 fly, fordi vi kan lave mere realistisk simulatortræning for piloterne. Et frisk flystel med færre fejl på, der gør, at vi kan have meget mere oppetid på hvert eneste stel, også - det her med - at F-35 er et langt mere effektivt kampfly end F-16.
Det er ingen tvivl om, at F-35 er det bedste valg for Danmark. I over 10 år har man haft en gruppe af mennesker, som har analyseret alle aspekter af alle de fly, der har været mulige emner.
I hele den proces med at tage den beslutning, der har man undersøgt alle de her kandidater og kigget på alt lige fra militære aspekter, strategiske aspekter, økonomiske aspekter, man kiggede på i alt syv områder, og der var ikke et eneste område, hvor F-35 ikke blev den bedste.

doge

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post10 Apr 2021, 17:22

L-001 flight test pilot speaks. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBF7vaDGCVw

:lol: :lmao: :cheers:
Attachments
Denmark F-35 L-001.gif

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post06 May 2021, 21:21

The First Danish F-35 is Flown by a Danish Pilot
06 May 2021 Danish Armed Forces via LM PR

"May 5, 2021 at 10:05 local time, nothing less than Danish military history was written, when the test pilot MON, as the first Dane, successfully flew a Danish F-35 fighter.

The highlight of his career
The flight itself took about 90 minutes and featured a ride around Arizona's red desert. MON was accompanied by an American and Dutch F-35 aircraft from the squadron nicknamed "Emerald Knights". It was a clearly proud and enthusiastic MON who, shortly after his flight, put into words the historic achievement: “To be allowed to be the first Dane to fly the Armed Forces' new fighter aircraft is a huge thing. There is a large and enormously talented team behind it, which has at least as much credit for making this possible, ”says MON. However, he also admits that for him personally it is a milestone beyond the usual:...

...MON's flight in the Danish F-35 was his second trip in the F-35 in connection with the retraining from F-16 to F-35, and in the coming days several flights await before the trip goes home to Denmark again. Here, it will be MON's task to share his new knowledge and prepare the Danish F-16 pilots who will soon begin their retraining in Arizona in the USA.

Denmark's first aircraft will be in the United States
As the plan is now, the first seven Danish F-35 fighter jets will remain in the USA at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona, where they will be used for retraining and training of Danish pilots. In 2023, the first Danish aircraft will arrive in Denmark, from where they will operate from Skrydstrup Air Base in Southern Jutland."

Source: https://www.f35.com/f35/news-and-featur ... pilot.html
Attachments
FORSVARET_DSC_0464 FORUM.jpg
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Previous

Return to Program and politics