No imminent F-35 sales to Gulf partners

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post05 Jun 2015, 11:09

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defens ... /28494435/

Looks like the SH is not yet a done deal for Kuwait. The Typhoon is apparently also under consideration. The article notes that a split buy of SH and Typhoon is possible though. Perhaps not he most peactical solution for such a small air force but I guess they have the mineg to make it work.
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 10:52

One plausible scenario that would increase pressure to make F-35 available to Gulf States. There was also an Iranian report of Russia providing Iran an IADS superior to S-300 (ie. S-400?) and Moscow figures to be Iran's major arms supplier for advanced stuff.

http://www.business2community.com/world ... e-01277064

The Iran Deal Will Help Russia Have A Stealth Air Forde

The Iran Deal Will Help Russia Have A Stealth Air Force
Read more at http://www.business2community.com/world ... lvya9R4.99

That is why the Russians have been working hard to convince India to be the first international customer for the F-50. But the Indians have been taking their time, raising objections, criticizing the workmanship of the aircraft and have evinced alarm about the reliability of the F-50 engines. In turn this has created a major delay in the Russian ability to finance the F-50 for its own air force. Initial production has been delayed and pushed into 2016, with many experts suggesting it will even be delayed further.

Iran, therefore, can bail out the Russian Air Force by helping to finance the PAK-T-50 program. Helping to finance based on future deliveries probably is consistent with the deal struck by the allies, since it is not quite a sale and the aircraft won’t immediately be transferred to Iran.

When the PAK T-50’s get to Iran, Israel, Saudi Arabia and Jordan will face a formidable problem. The Russian plane has the latest radars and weapons packages and its stealth will make it hard to defeat the T-50 with stand off weapons. The entire theory of the F-35, for example, is based on the idea of knocking the enemy out before the enemy detects the F-35. But if Russia’s stealth system turns out to be good, that advantage is liquidated.

More,
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

bring_it_on

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 11:43

I think from an export to ME customer point of view, the cheapest and lowest risk export may well be to sell them a few hundred MALD's before even considering a stealth fighter..The Saudi's should be able to use them on both the Typhoon's and their Eagles, and the rest of the Viper customers can use them as well.

borg

Banned

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 12:04

Su-50 export to Iran.. :roll:
Not an option.
Pak-Fa is not yet cleared for Export.. see Rosoboro export list.
And not S-400 system eighter.
I think the export Version you are looking for is S-300VE or something.

The S-400 has a newer and more sphisticated type of missile.

Seriously, in time, and i mean distant future, if Iran can somehow moderate itself on certain sectors, we might see Su-35S export.

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 12:18

So if down the road Iran tells Moscow it wants to partner in the PAK FA program with the intent later on of acquiring the jet, Putin will way "No"? Really? Remember this?
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-07-27-19-18-29.png
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

bring_it_on

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 13:52

Russia needs to set up a modern 5th generation production facility first, commit to buying large amount of fighters, and develop the jet fully (engines etc)..Until then any export customer will have to wait a long time and the support and logistics supply would be questionable if not expensive. The Fulcrum and Flanker families benefit from Soviet investment and their success is attributed to the constant production, development and relatively steady supply of support. With a new system, especially one requiring complex maintenance and support protocols (STEALTH), they need to re-create all that before any non-developer (basically anyone apart from India) commits to it. They have the Su-35 for those and I expect over the next 10 years, that aircraft to be far more successful in the export market compared to the T-50.

To the best of my knowledge even India has yet to commit the $3-5 Billion that was to be its share for developing the aircraft.

borg

Banned

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 14:23

Thought it being Clear by now, that Russia do not want to share any Tech regarding PakFa program, and why should they?

Even the FGFA will be just an Russian T-50 Version, With some slightly customized subsystems like HUD, etc.

And if Russia don't wanna share any ToT With India, why should they even consider Iran.. comon guys..

Historical spraking Russia and Iran relations has been pretty bad.
You might want a look into it before you put up these fiction scenarois popcorn@

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 14:49

That graphic speaks for itself as to the intended user base. Once sanctions are lifted, expect Iran to enjoy preferred customer status with Moscow.
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

bring_it_on

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 14:58

popcorn wrote:That graphic speaks for itself as to the intended user base. Once sanctions are lifted, expect Iran to enjoy preferred customer status with Moscow.

The graphic was designed by a forum member at Keypub..Some in the media have taken it to be from Sukhoi and have gone along and posted it as such but its not something that is official. If I recall correctly, the same person said he'll have something similar for the F-35 as well ;)

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 15:27

bring_it_on wrote:
popcorn wrote:That graphic speaks for itself as to the intended user base. Once sanctions are lifted, expect Iran to enjoy preferred customer status with Moscow.

The graphic was designed by a forum member at Keypub..Some in the media have taken it to be from Sukhoi and have gone along and posted it as such but its not something that is official. If I recall correctly, the same person said he'll have something similar for the F-35 as well ;)

If so, then my bad...
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

bring_it_on

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 15:59

popcorn wrote:
bring_it_on wrote:

If so, then my bad...

So I dug it up..Its here -

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... ost2197858

Apparently, the original may have been for the Su-35 or Su-30 family and the person modified it for the T-50/Su-50..

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post27 Jul 2015, 23:47

bring_it_on wrote:So I dug it up..Its here -

Apparently, the original may have been for the Su-35 or Su-30 family and the person modified it for the T-50/Su-50..

Just stumbled across that graphic and took it at face value... quit Keypubs years ago when I discovered F-16.net :D
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post28 Jul 2015, 04:59

popcorn wrote:
bring_it_on wrote:So I dug it up..Its here -

Just stumbled across that graphic and took it at face value... quit Keypubs years ago when I discovered F-16.net :D

Clearly, Keypublishing is not the place for a educated debate on any subject in regards to Military Aviation. :doh:

KamenRiderBlade

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post28 Jul 2015, 13:18

Corsair1963 wrote:Clearly, Keypublishing is not the place for a educated debate on any subject in regards to Military Aviation. :doh:

I thought KeyPub's was where internet blowhards go to get their ego's / confirmation bias stroked by fellow idiots.

It's the forum full of circle jerking and idiots. It's the perfect place for Bill Sweetman and his ilk.

zerion

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post04 Nov 2017, 16:39

Trump could let the UAE buy F-35 jets

TEL AVIV, Israel ― As part of a larger U.S. strategy for enhanced strategic cooperation with the United Arab Emirates, the Trump administration has agreed to consider a long-standing request by Abu Dhabi to enter into preliminary talks on future procurement of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

While no decision has been made, the willingness to consider extending a classified briefing to the UAE as the first significant step toward acquisition of the fifth-generation stealth fighter signals a departure from policy enforced under former President Barack Obama. The Obama administration had consistently rebuffed Emirati requests for the briefing dating back to 2011, citing Washington’s commitment to preserve Israel’s so-called Qualitative Military Edge, or QME.

In interviews, Gulf experts and industry executives insist the Trump administration fully intends to uphold congressionally mandated commitments to the QME, which aim to provide Israel the weaponry and assistance it needs to unilaterally defend itself against any combination of regional foes. At the same time, Washington wants to build on an expanded U.S.-UAE Defense Cooperation Agreement unveiled in May during Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan’s meetings with Trump and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis in the U.S. capital...

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-sho ... f-35-jets/
PreviousNext

Return to Program and politics