UK MOD in a muddle over F-35C

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author

das__kardinal

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post20 Jun 2021, 11:24

Couldn't Brimstone target such small boats? It doesn't strike me as very far from tanks on an open plain...

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post20 Jun 2021, 11:28

Which aircraft is firing BRIMSTONE?
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

das__kardinal

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post20 Jun 2021, 13:17

Hmmm, indeed a quick trip to Wikipedia tells me only SPEAR 3 will be integrated on British F-35s, but SPEAR 3 being based on Brimstone tech, so it kinda fits.
With 8 such munitions carried internally or 16 using underwing points, I'm not too concerned about the small boat threat, which is only really a threat in narrow passages anyway.

ricnunes

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post20 Jun 2021, 15:20

das__kardinal wrote:Hmmm, indeed a quick trip to Wikipedia tells me only SPEAR 3 will be integrated on British F-35s, but SPEAR 3 being based on Brimstone tech, so it kinda fits.

SPEAR 3 is only based (a follow up development) on the Brimstone internally. Externally they seem to be completely different. For instance the Brimstone is similar (and somehow based on) the AGM-114 Hellfire missile while the SPEAR 3 is a similar weapon to the GBU-53 SDBII (Stormbreaker).
What I mean with this is that and since the F-35 is already designed to employ SDBs it will be far easier (and useful) to integrate the SPEAR 3 than the Brimstone and since SPEAR 3 is much better (than Brimstone), IMO it doesn't make muich sense to integrate the Brimstone on the F-35.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

das__kardinal

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post20 Jun 2021, 22:19

Thinking back on that swarm threat, I realize I immediately thought about Iranian FACs since they've been the most annoying users of such so far, but there's another growing threat as recent Asian events showed: Chinese "fishermen" swarms, weaponized to bully neighboring countries into relinquishing control of their territorial waters.
Now I'm not sure even Beijing would be so callous as to use them as shooters in a war (one, that would result in painting every Chinese-flagged vessel as a legitimate military target; two, Chinese fishermen aren't Zergs, when the first dozen or so get reduced to flaming wrecks the rest will get the hell outta dodge). But they've already proven willing to use such fishing boat swarms as a quasi-military tool.

zhangmdev

Unread post21 Jun 2021, 16:17

"Agile combat employment in action! Yesterday, a 617 Squadron F-35B refuelled from an Italian Air Force C-130 for the first time in an austere location (on Pantelleria island)."

11 June 2021

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... ustere-ops
https://theaviationist.com/2021/06/10/i ... ntelleria/

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post21 Jun 2021, 17:52

'Corsair1963' has posted more info earlier about it: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=57860&p=454864&hilit=Pantelleria#p454864

Later 'herciv' posted in another thread a photo/info: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=57870&p=455002&hilit=Pantelleria#p455002
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post21 Jun 2021, 20:04

Attached .MP3 sound ONLY clip about UK F-35B interview with their Air Force Chief from a link provided earlier by 'noth':

A Conversation with UK Air Chief Marshal Sir Mike Wigston 28 Apr 2021 [4 mins] HUDSON INSTITUE with Bryan Clark
noth wrote:In this conversation at the Hudson Institute, the Air Chief Marshall Sir Mike Wigston says the F-35B will be flying with the UK into the 2060s if not later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gno8-aiL6mw
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20426&p=455538&hilit=Wigston#p455538
Attachments

A Conversation with UK Air Chief Marshal Sir Mike Wigston_1&2cropYouTube.mp3 [ 7.27 MiB | Viewed 1248 times ]

ACMwigstonRAFinterviewHudsonInstitute2021.jpg

zerion

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post22 Jun 2021, 17:19

U.K., U.S. F-35Bs Launch Anti-ISIS Strikes from HMS Queen Elizabeth

British and American F-35B Lighting II Joint Strike Fighters flew anti-ISIS strike missions from the U.K. Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth (R08) – a first for the U.K. in a decade, defense officials confirmed to USNI News on Tuesday.

The F-35s from the embarked Royal Air Force 617 Squadron, “The Dambusters” flew combat operations in support of U.K. anti-ISIS effort Operation Shader and U.S. Operation Inherent Resolve, the U.K. Ministry of Defense said in a Tuesday statement. The “Wake Island Avengers” of U.S. Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 211 were also part of the strike missions, a service official confirmed to USNI News on Tuesday.

“The involvement of HMS Queen Elizabeth and her air wing in this campaign also sends a wider message. It demonstrates the speed and agility with which a U.K.-led Carrier Strike Group can inject fifth generation combat power into any operation, anywhere in the world, thereby offering the British government, and our allies, true military and political choice,” Commodore Steve Moorhouse, commander of the U.K. Carrier Strike Group, said in a statement.

Neither the Marines nor the MoD specified the location of the missions or the targets that were struck. In a Tuesday statement, the Marines said the blended air wing started combat operations on June 18...

https://news.usni.org/2021/06/22/u-k-u- ... -elizabeth

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post22 Jun 2021, 19:50

F-35Bs launch from HMS Queen Elizabeth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P2cXd4UWFk

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Jun 2021, 03:35

Stealth jets fight Daesh in first combat missions from HMS Queen Elizabeth
22 Jun 2021 UK MinDef

"The UK’s Carrier Strike Group has joined the fight against Daesh with F-35 jets carrying out their very first combat missions from HMS Queen Elizabeth....

...Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said:
“The ability to operate from the sea with the most advanced fighter jets ever created is a significant moment in our history, offering reassurance to our allies and demonstrating the UK’s formidable air power to our adversaries.”...

...Commodore Steve Moorhouse, Commander United Kingdom Carrier Strike Group, said:
“This is also notable as the first combat mission flown by US aircraft from a foreign carrier since HMS Victorious in the South Pacific in 1943. The level of integration between Royal Navy, Royal Air Force and US Marine Corps is truly seamless, and testament to how close we’ve become since we first embarked together last October.”

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/stea ... -elizabeth

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post23 Jun 2021, 15:06

First combat missions flown from HMS Queen Elizabeth
22 Jun 2021 NavyLookout

"...Russian aircraft and warships are taking a keen interest in the CSG, the level of surveillance is beyond even what was expected. When the aircraft took off on the first combat mission from the ship, a further two jets had to be scrambled at short notice to ward off Russian aircraft overhead. During the first three days when the ship was operating off Cyprus, Russian aircraft were encountered every day, including Sukhois and Migs coming within visual range of aircraft flying from the ship. So far, interactions have been described as “professional”. A Grigorovich-class frigate and Russian submarines are also known to be actively tracking the movements of the group.

The US Navy’s over-worked aircraft carriers are now focused on providing support for the withdrawal from Afghanistan and the presence of HMS Queen Elizabeth is a good example of how the UK is now better equipped to share the burden with coalition partners. UK and USMC jets are now on call to fly from the ship around the clock to support live military operations on the ground as required. As a relatively low-risk and short-term task, this provides an opportunity for the CSG and its air group to prove its abilities, build confidence and gain experience that will provide a good foundation for when it will undoubtedly face more demanding tests in the future. It is unclear exactly how long the carrier will sustain its involvement in SHADER, but the carrier strike group will pass through the Suez Canal and head into the Indo-Pacific in the coming weeks."

Photo: "USMC VMFA-211 Ordnance technicians prepare AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles for loading onto aircraft in preparation for combat missions over Syria." https://www.navylookout.com/wp-content/ ... AMRAAM.jpg
&
"617 Squadron jets flying from the carrier, on operation SHADER seen from supporting RAF Voyager air-air refuelling aircraft." https://www.navylookout.com/wp-content/ ... Shader.jpg

Source: https://www.navylookout.com/first-comba ... elizabeth/
Attachments
AIM-120-AMRAAM.jpg
Jets-Shader.jpg

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 Jun 2021, 03:56

Hi Cost Meteor Slo I dunno Any Excuse will do.... My father plays dominoes betta than your father is my preferred excuse.
Two reasons Britain could slow its purchase of the F-35
23 Jun 2021 Andrew Chuter

"LONDON — The high costs of supporting F-35s and a failure to quickly integrate the MBDA Meteor missile to the aircraft could slow British plans to buy more of the jets, defence secretary Ben Wallace warned June 23. Wallace told Britain’s Parliamentary defence select committee that he had the budget to buy more than the 48 jets the military has already ordered, but wanted to see progress controlling maintenance costs and fair treatment for integrating Meteor.

“Its important for me to say to BAE Systems, Lockheed Martin and all the other [ contractors] that ‘It’s in your interest to keep through-life support costs down’ because simply, I don’t want to be held to a massive bill I can’t get out of,” he said. “Also it’s important that we continue the planned integration of Meteor on the F-35, I don’t want to be put to the back of the queue for that and it’s in all your interests that if you want me to carry on buying F-35 that we keep a lid on those costs and that we are treated fairly [yes indeed & how is that so?] integrating a European made missile [on the jet].

“We need more than 48 and we will invest in more than 48, but I’m not in the business of giving a blank check to contractors if they don’t play their part in cost controls, support and indeed making sure Britain’s developed capabilities are put on them [ the F-35], " Wallace told lawmakers....

...The British plan to have the Meteor and MBDA’s Spear precision ground attack missiles in service on the F-35Bs operated by the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force by around 2024...."

Source: https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... -the-f-35/

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post24 Jun 2021, 04:34

Wott gott in this fellow's knickers?
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post25 Jun 2021, 00:27

Apart from public thrashing of those evil contractors ( :wink: ), nary a peep yet from either the US or UK gov on what they are doing to reduce costs that they themselves control in their respective gov’ts.
PreviousNext

Return to Program and politics