F-35 program updates

Program progress, politics, orders, and speculation
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2215
  • Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 21:06
  • Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Unread post29 Sep 2021, 21:46

It was a back up bomber to the B-29, in case the B-29 failed. Only about 100 were built. My dad was a hydraulic system designer on it.
Offline

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 8182
  • Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 04:14

Unread post30 Sep 2021, 01:08

steve2267 wrote:I had to go lookup "B-32". :oops:



b32.jpg
Offline

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 5231
  • Joined: 10 Mar 2006, 01:24
  • Location: Nashua NH USA

Unread post30 Sep 2021, 13:44

johnwill wrote:It was a back up bomber to the B-29, in case the B-29 failed. Only about 100 were built. My dad was a hydraulic system designer on it.

Family legacy of aircraft engineers then? Great stuff!
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer
Offline

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2215
  • Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 21:06
  • Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Unread post30 Sep 2021, 15:13

Thanks. As a four year old kid, I watched many takeoffs and landings from our front yard near what was then Fort Worth Army Airfield.
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 26812
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post09 Oct 2021, 12:47

China Likely Stepping Up Stealth Fighter Production
08 Oct 2021 John A. Tirpak

"...To match just the USAF—not counting Navy and Marine Corps inventories—China would have to build 500 fifth-generation J-20s and FC-31s between now and 2025, or 125 aircraft per year.

Just before Zhuhai, Lockheed Martin and the F-35 Joint Program Office announced that peak production of the Lightning II will occur in 2023, at a rate of 156 aircraft per year, and stay at that level “for the foreseeable future.” That figure will, however, meet the demands of more than a dozen partners and foreign military sales customers.

For calendar 2021, Lockheed Martin plans to deliver 133-139 F-35s, ramping up to 151-153 of the aircraft in 2022. The company has fallen short of planned deliveries because of supply chain problems stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Air Force acquisition objectives for the F-35 have not changed since the program’s inception. The service plans to buy 1,763 F-35s, of which it has already taken delivery of about 300. At the current rate of production, the Air Force would take delivery of its last F-35 in the 2050s.

The Air Force has not disclosed plans to buy more than 43 or so F-35s annually until after the Block 4 version starts coming off the production line in 2023, meaning the service will likely have about 652 fifth-generation fighters in the 2025 time frame, counting F-35s and 180 F-22s, but not counting inventories with the Navy and Marine Corps. Those services plan to acquire 273 F-35Cs and 420 F-35B/Cs, respectively, in total."

Photo: "China's J-20 stealth fighter fleet is expected to grow substantially by 2025." https://www.airforcemag.com/app/uploads ... _China.jpg


Source: https://www.airforcemag.com/china-likel ... roduction/
Attachments
J-20break.jpg
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 26812
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post11 Oct 2021, 00:20

F-35 Lightning II Joint Program Office JPO F-35 YOUTUBE CHANNEL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRKrMx ... El-SI6_skA

Pentagon Press Secretary F-35C Unmanned Refueling Oct 2, 2021 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnsMxmsKZ2k

A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline

loke

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1222
  • Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 19:07

Unread post01 Dec 2021, 14:50

WASHINGTON: The Senate’s proposed move to cut $84 million from the Navy’s 2021 $482 million budget request for incremental upgrades to its F-35C fighter jets will push back critical electronic warfare capabilities by a year and decrease operational availability, according to the service’s budgetary appeal obtained by Breaking Defense.

It also will end up increasing costs for retrofitting the EW hardware into the service’s Joint Strike Fighter variant by $700 million, the service argues.

Senate appropriators in their version of the annual defense spending package, released last month, criticized the overarching Joint Strike Fighter software/hardware upgrade plan, called Continuous Capability Development and Delivery (C2D2). Under the C2D2 program, prime contractor Lockheed Martin is supposed to deliver software upgrades every six months. However, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) in a July report found that those upgrades were more often than not delayed, and it criticized the Pentagon’s Joint Program Office (JPO) for failing to develop a more realistic schedule.

The JPO requested a total of $1.98 billion for C2D2 for Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps jets, but the Senate Appropriations Committee (SAC) would slash $565.9 million from the total.

Echoing GAO’s concerns about unrealistic scheduling and vague performance criteria, the appropriators cited “significant challenges” to the effort including: “cost growth of approximately 70 percent, schedule delays of the Technology Refresh 3 system, and a 3 year delay in the delivery of the complete Capability Increment #1 (formerly Block 4) capabilities.”

The SAC added, “Given that F–35 modernization is planned using the C2D2 approach through 2035, the Committee is troubled by these developments.”

Further, the appropriators noted the high costs of the total C2D2 effort, and charged the Defense Department to break it out into a stand-alone major acquisition program in its 2023 budget to allow greater transparency and improved oversight.

For it’s part, the Navy cited a litany of woe beyond that would befall the F-35 program writ large if its funding for C2D2 is slashed.

“Proposed program reductions will cause significant negative impacts to the development, delivery, and fielding of important electronic warfare, radar, communications, precision navigation, and integrated weapons capabilities on the F-35 (inclusive of critical F-35 Training Systems). These capabilities are required by the F-35 warfighter to meet the challenges of a rapidly evolving global threat environment, and are critical to keeping F-35 dominance over our near-peer competitors, China and Russia,” the document argued.

For the Navy in particular, this includes “a one-year delay of U.S. Service prioritized weapons integration and associated mission planning activities including AARGM-ER, the AGM-158 family of weapons, and increased missile carriage negatively impacting F-35 survivability and lethality,” the appeal said.

Finally, the Navy argued that the SAC reduction would have a “significant negative impact” on the JPO’s effort to replace Lockheed’s infamously complicated and buggy maintenance and logistics software, ALIS (for Autonomic Logistics Information System), with a faster, streamlined version. The new software, called ODIN, for Operational Data Integrated Network, is being developed internally by DoD to give service maintenance efforts more autonomy.

Best read at the source: https://breakingdefense.com/2021/11/nav ... -add-700m/

This story is focusing on the C, however, my understanding was that there was still some commonality between A, B and C?

They mention a 3-year delay of block 4. Is this for C only? When is block 4 for A ready for roll-out?

Not good that integration of several munitions will be delayed -- is this delay for the C only?

Seems that ALIS/ODIN is still struggling quite a lot.

I thought the F-35 being a very modern and modular system should be quite easy and quick to upgrade. That's not the impression one gets when reading this story.
Offline

go4long

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 136
  • Joined: 04 Sep 2013, 07:20
  • Location: Calgary

Unread post01 Dec 2021, 16:12

loke wrote:Seems that ALIS/ODIN is still struggling quite a lot.

I thought the F-35 being a very modern and modular system should be quite easy and quick to upgrade. That's not the impression one gets when reading this story.


They just went back to the new system again a couple months ago, if it's even fully integrated yet at all...the Saab is also going to be integrating a new logistics system, if they ever get enough aircraft delivered to actually need one. Are you under the impression that it will go flawlessly because Saab says so?

Are you saying that upgrades to a software system with millions of lines of code maybe aren't exactly cut and paste? You've repeatedly insisted that the Gripen is a very modern modular system as well...it seems like this logic is only flowing in one direction for you, when it is in fact very much a two way street. Further to that, Saab doesn't have nearly the manpower, budget or experience in sorting out such issues that Lockheed has at their disposal...if you think that the Gripen E will be the first modern aircraft in history to not have any development bugs, I have questions.
Offline

loke

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1222
  • Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 19:07

Unread post01 Dec 2021, 17:23

go4long wrote:
loke wrote:Seems that ALIS/ODIN is still struggling quite a lot.

I thought the F-35 being a very modern and modular system should be quite easy and quick to upgrade. That's not the impression one gets when reading this story.


They just went back to the new system again a couple months ago, if it's even fully integrated yet at all...the Saab is also going to be integrating a new logistics system, if they ever get enough aircraft delivered to actually need one. Are you under the impression that it will go flawlessly because Saab says so?

Are you saying that upgrades to a software system with millions of lines of code maybe aren't exactly cut and paste? You've repeatedly insisted that the Gripen is a very modern modular system as well...it seems like this logic is only flowing in one direction for you, when it is in fact very much a two way street. Further to that, Saab doesn't have nearly the manpower, budget or experience in sorting out such issues that Lockheed has at their disposal...if you think that the Gripen E will be the first modern aircraft in history to not have any development bugs, I have questions.

Not sure why you bring Gripen E into this. Seems off-topic to me.

This thread is "F-35 program updates". I did not mention any other fighter in my post. I suggest you stay on topic.
Offline
User avatar

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 7473
  • Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 19:42

Unread post01 Dec 2021, 17:36

loke wrote:Not sure why you bring Gripen E into this. Seems off-topic to me.

This thread is "F-35 program updates". I did not mention any other fighter in my post. I suggest you stay on topic.


you know why, Loke. Is it an actual question or just your usual 'concern' trolling? and if its concern, maybe you should apply it to the Gripen which seems to be falling flat in nearly all its promises which you constantly make excuses for? Why is it a deep problem for one and not the other? for as much as I have heard about the "easily upgradable" Gripen, I can't help but notice its been over 10 years, and its still not ready. I was under the impression the Gripen was easy to upgrade?
Choose Crews
Offline

loke

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

  • Posts: 1222
  • Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 19:07

Unread post03 Dec 2021, 18:29

XanderCrews wrote:
loke wrote:Not sure why you bring Gripen E into this. Seems off-topic to me.

This thread is "F-35 program updates". I did not mention any other fighter in my post. I suggest you stay on topic.


you know why, Loke. Is it an actual question or just your usual 'concern' trolling? and if its concern, maybe you should apply it to the Gripen which seems to be falling flat in nearly all its promises which you constantly make excuses for? Why is it a deep problem for one and not the other? for as much as I have heard about the "easily upgradable" Gripen, I can't help but notice its been over 10 years, and its still not ready. I was under the impression the Gripen was easy to upgrade?

I suggest we discuss Gripen in one of the Gripen threads, just like we should discuss Rafale in one of the Rafale threads, Su-35 in one of the SU-35 threads, Typhoon in the Typhoon threads, etc.

I am really interested in knowing when block 4 will arrive and whether it will arrive at roughly the same time for A B and C. I understand you are not going to help me, but I also understand that instead of simply ignoring my post you decide to try to derail this thread by trying to start a discussion about something else than the F-35. Very sad.
Offline

luke_sandoz

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

  • Posts: 549
  • Joined: 08 Feb 2011, 20:25

Unread post18 Dec 2021, 17:11

Production values are a little cutesy . . . but a good summary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XL_khWSmLQ
Attachments
EC992588-466F-4F24-B4F6-36D232523F5C.png
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 26812
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post18 Dec 2021, 21:01

Thanks LUKE! There was only one word I think that I did not quite catch. I like the sense of humour and engaging style.
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
Offline

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

  • Posts: 2215
  • Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 21:06
  • Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Unread post18 Dec 2021, 21:38

spazsinbad wrote:Thanks LUKE! There was only one word I think that I did not quite catch. I like the sense of humour and engaging style.


"Rooter" meaning Router perhaps?
Offline
User avatar

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

  • Posts: 26812
  • Joined: 05 May 2009, 21:31
  • Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Warnings: -2

Unread post03 Jan 2022, 20:36

Lockheed Martin beat its F-35 delivery goal for 2021
03 Jan 2022 Valerie Insinna

"The company delivered three more F-35s than it expected to in 2021, Lockheed announced today.

WASHINGTON: Lockheed Martin delivered three more F-35s than planned in 2021, handing over a total of 142 Joint Strike Fighters to US and international customers as the company continues to rebound from the coronavirus pandemic.

The company was able to exceed its goal of 139 F-35s for 2021 due to the “efforts and dedication” of its suppliers and workforce “combined with the efficiencies of digital engineering,” Bridget Lauderdale, Lockheed’s vice president of the F-35 program, said in a statement to Breaking Defense.

The three additional jets delivered in 2021 will count towards this year’s production goal, which remains at 151 to 153 jets, according to Lockheed spokesman Brett Ashworth.

The program meeting its delivery goal for 2021 is a good news story for Lockheed, which was forced to slow F-35 production in summer 2020 after COVID-19 upset the jet’s global supply chain.

The company had expected to ramp production from 134 jets in 2019 to 141 F-35s in 2020, but suppliers had troubles getting components and other materiel to Lockheed’s Fort Worth, Texas-based production line on schedule. The end result: Lockheed delivered only 120 aircraft that year, creating a production backlog that the company said won’t be resolved until 2025.

Last September, the Pentagon and Lockheed agreed on a production rebaseline plan that would allow the company to gradually ramp production back up, with the intent to reach a stable pace of 156 F-35s per year in 2023 and beyond...."

Source: https://breakingdefense.com/2022/01/loc ... -for-2021/
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
PreviousNext

Return to Program and politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests