F-35 DACT against F-16/18

The F-35 compared with other modern jets.
  • Author

optimist

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post12 Jan 2022, 00:43

ricnunes wrote:Yes, I would say/bet that in such ACM exercises that HOBS and even non-HOBS all aspect missiles are not "used".
I would say that only "guns" are used in such exercises as the objective is to (solely) hone the pilots dogfight skills.

+1
Also the minimum is 4 f-35 on a sortie. The days of 1vs 1 with guns are over. The F-35 would use one of the other 3 or other off board missiles. The USMC were saying, AEGIS is my wingman in 2011. https://sldinfo.com/2011/10/pacific-str ... y-wingman/
Australia has the loyal wingman in testing and intends buying ($7.4 - $11b) production loyal wingman from about 2027 onwards, at this point. This is the next stage, as dogfighting further slips away.
https://www.defence.gov.au/sites/defaul ... e_Plan.pdf

Further, I saw on the pilot interview here. That it was an instant fail for not having proficient 'dogfighting' skills. Moving forward this is being re-evaluated and not as much emphasis is being applied. That's a good thing, because those 6th gen don't look as maneuverable.
Aussie fanboy

madrat

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post12 Jan 2022, 02:51

Guns, perhaps, and buddy delivery. If you aren't practicing the art of directing missiles from your wingman (or others in your flight), what's the point of this new technology?

optimist

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post12 Jan 2022, 03:05

madrat wrote:Guns, perhaps, and buddy delivery. If you aren't practicing the art of directing missiles from your wingman (or others in your flight), what's the point of this new technology?

It's multi-platform sensors interconnected BVR or look and fire HOBS missile WVR. Even that is becoming redundant, as the sensors have the target and is telling you where to look. Guns and dogfighting aren't in the CONOPS. Guns aren't for killing fighters in a phone booth. With 2 of the F-35, guns are optional. Even the WVR Aim-9x is taking a back seat and isn't standard internal weapons load.
Aussie fanboy
Previous

Return to F-35 versus XYZ