The SOM-J Missile for F-35

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.

by jedigman » 12 Nov 2017, 20:03

eloise wrote:JSM is an overall superior product: Two ways data link, extra passive radar homing seeker, terminal evasive maneuver and better RCS.

KEMENT-S Data-link for SOM-J - From 'Defence Turkey' Magazine
With the system developed within the framework of the KEMENT Project, operational efficiency shall be increased via components that are resistant to electronic warfare, encrypted, adaptable to power requirements of the platform its embedded to, compatible with the military standards and NATO STANAGs shall be achieved and updating the data related to the target and command-control information shall be enabled within the air-air and air-ground components’ network structure within a range from minimum 250km. Development of an Ammunition Data Network System (MVAS) that could support the 512kbps data transfer speed and transmit an image of sufficient resolution before the shooting during the ammunition’s terminal stage is aimed.
The Project also includes the development of terminals that could operate on SOM and Atmaca which were developed through national capacities and on platforms that could be used in the command/control of the ammunition (F-16, helicopters and vessels) and design of a network architecture that is specific to the usage concept.

The only thing SOM-J doesn't have is a RF seeker, I don't see that being an issue if they want to develop SOM-J further as they did with JSM.

by wolfpak » 12 Nov 2017, 23:13

If the volume is there and it should be because blast frag warheads and usually bigger than penetrators just design a penetrator warhead for the JSM. Problem solved. Constraints are volume and C.G. It will go inside of the same JSM body so all that will be needed are aircraft separation tests for any difference in c.g..

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by ricnunes » 13 Nov 2017, 19:39

wolfpak wrote:If the volume is there and it should be because blast frag warheads and usually bigger than penetrators just design a penetrator warhead for the JSM. Problem solved. Constraints are volume and C.G. It will go inside of the same JSM body so all that will be needed are aircraft separation tests for any difference in c.g..

Well I guess that the same could also be said about the SOM-J: If the volume is there one could also add a Two-Way data link and/or a RF seeker to the SOM-J.
Please note that I'm not defending that the SOM-J is "better" than the JSM (or vice-versa). I would say that both missiles have their "strengths" and "weaknesses" when compared with each other.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call EW and pretend like it’s new.

Banned

by airforces_freak » 15 Jan 2018, 11:19

ROKETSAN outlines SOM-J features...

Main Features
Long Range (120+ NM)
Low Observable
Highly Survivable
High Precision Navigation with INS/GPS/TRN/IBN
Highly Precise Terminal Guidance with IIR and Data Fusion
Target of Opportunity Capability
In-Flight Retargeting
Network Enabled Weapon (NEW) Capability
Universal Armament Interface (UAI) Compatibility

Technical Specifications
Length ~4 meters
Weight 1000-lb Class
Range 120+ NM
Warhead ~310-lb Blast Fragmentation / Semi-Armor Piercing
Seeker Imaging Infrared
Guidance System INS / GPS / TRN / IBN / ATA
http://www.roketsan.com.tr/en/urunler-h ... muhimmati/

The SOM-J is the first weapon to feature Universal Armament Interface (UAI) Compatibility

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 15 Jan 2018, 11:59

airforces_freak wrote:ROKETSAN outlines SOM-J features...

Main Features
Long Range (120+ NM)
Low Observable
Highly Survivable
High Precision Navigation with INS/GPS/TRN/IBN
Highly Precise Terminal Guidance with IIR and Data Fusion
Target of Opportunity Capability
In-Flight Retargeting
Network Enabled Weapon (NEW) Capability
Universal Armament Interface (UAI) Compatibility

Technical Specifications
Length ~4 meters
Weight 1000-lb Class
Range 120+ NM
Warhead ~310-lb Blast Fragmentation / Semi-Armor Piercing
Seeker Imaging Infrared
Guidance System INS / GPS / TRN / IBN / ATA
http://www.roketsan.com.tr/en/urunler-h ... muhimmati/

The SOM-J is the first weapon to feature Universal Armament Interface (UAI) Compatibility

.....No!, FY-11/12 UAI certification of JASSM AGM-158A with F-15E Strike Eagle; unless you are only considering Roketsan products.
:)

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Dragon029 » 15 Jan 2018, 12:16

GBU-53 is also apparently already UAI-ready and I could've sworn that some of the newer Paveways were UAI-ready as well.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 15 Jan 2018, 16:43

I think he was talking about non-US weapon to be UAI.

IIRC the baseline JDAM was the first weapon to be UAI certified.

This was from a few years ago just as JASSM UAI was finishing up.

Last edited by SpudmanWP on 15 Jan 2018, 18:37, edited 2 times in total.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 15 Jan 2018, 17:46

SpudmanWP wrote:I think he was talking about non-US weapon to be UAI.

....of course!
:roll:

Banned

by airforces_freak » 16 Jan 2018, 05:05

I was comparing it to the Kongsberg's NSM/JSM Anti-Ship & Strike Missile. AFAIK the JSM is not UAI compatible.

The Turkish Air Force has commenced receiving its first batch of SOM-B1 missiles: http://en.c4defence.com/Agenda/first-so ... zed/5454/1

The SOM-B1 is a much larger version of the SOM-J used against heavily fortified targets.

Banned

by airforces_freak » 21 Jan 2018, 08:35

The Turkish Air Force releases footage of a Roketsan SOM-B2 stand-off cruise missile destroying a US Supplied SDF underground arms depo in Afrin, Syria.

The footage shows the SOM B2 glide into the entrance of the underground arms storage facility through a tunnel before it detonates inside. You can see smoke form the other side of the mountain showing the explosion inside the facility.

The footage shows the efficacy of these type of precision strike weapons. The SOM-B2 is a larger version of the SOM-J.

Banned

by mtrman » 21 Jan 2018, 14:39

May it be a Popeye-1 launched by an F-4E Phantom 2020?

Banned

by airforces_freak » 21 Jan 2018, 14:48

mtrman wrote:May it be a Popeye-1 launched by an F-4E Phantom 2020?

Turkish Prime Minister made a public announcement stating that only indigenous weapons were used in the current Operation. You would note that the first batch of SOM-B1's were delivered to the Turkish Air Force just only last week. Some also have dual penetrator warheads.

Banned

by mtrman » 21 Jan 2018, 15:56

I am sure he meant that "mostly" indigenous. But anyway, it may be SOM-J or not. We may learn in the coming days perhaps.

Banned

by airforces_freak » 22 Jan 2018, 12:23

mtrman wrote:I am sure he meant that "mostly" indigenous. But anyway, it may be SOM-J or not. We may learn in the coming days perhaps.

Turkish Military have confirmed it was a SOM-B1 missile: http://www.iyigunler.net/teknoloji/afri ... 18126.html

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 07 Mar 2018, 00:04

PreviousNext