Terma displays F-35 multi-mission pod at Farnborough

F-35 Armament, fuel tanks, internal and external hardpoints, loadouts, and other stores.
  • Author

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post11 Jul 2012, 23:41

I have no idea whether this graphic is to scale (from same Hayward source above):
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2010armament/T ... ayward.pdf
Attachments
F-35weaponsHayward2010.gif
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post11 Jul 2012, 23:49

stereospace wrote:Speaking of Farnborough, lots of really good video from the Farnborough Air Show. The F18 (Tue) and A380 (Tue) and 787 are well filmed and worth watching full screen. You'll really get an appreciation of what beautiful and impressive aircraft these all are.

http://www.youtube.com/user/airboyd

:cheers:

Thanks for posting the link. I especially enjoyed the T-50 (ROK) demo. Does anyone have any idea how they transported the airplane to Farnborough?

energo

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post12 Jul 2012, 00:15

johnwill wrote:Thanks for posting the link. I especially enjoyed the T-50 (ROK) demo. Does anyone have any idea how they transported the airplane to Farnborough?

John,

They were shipped by sea. Three departed from Fairford (RIAT) on Monday to Farnborough. It was a solo display while they did the full eight aircraft display at RIAT. A great experience, not just the rare aircraft but the display was perfectly executed and creative or a bit different from other display teams. In my humble opinion, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4UNhKmw ... re=related

B. Bolsøy
Oslo

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post12 Jul 2012, 03:07

Bjornar,
Many thanks for the information and the link to RIAT. Were you there? I agree the show was unique and very well done. Maybe I told you already, but I worked on the T-50 program in Korea from 2001 - 2005. So seeing the airplanes perform so well gave me a great feeling.

boff180

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post12 Jul 2012, 03:18

energo wrote:
johnwill wrote:Thanks for posting the link. I especially enjoyed the T-50 (ROK) demo. Does anyone have any idea how they transported the airplane to Farnborough?

John,

They were shipped by sea. Three departed from Fairford (RIAT) on Monday to Farnborough. It was a solo display while they did the full eight aircraft display at RIAT. A great experience, not just the rare aircraft but the display was perfectly executed and creative or a bit different from other display teams. In my humble opinion, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4UNhKmw ... re=related

B. Bolsøy
Oslo

Sorry but this is incorrect,

9 T50's arrived here via a number of Korean Air B747 freighter flights into Manchester airport. The aircraft were then transported by road to RAF Leeming for reassembly and test flying.

The team have performed full displays at RAF Waddington Interational Airshow and RIAT at RAF Fairford. The display at Farnborough is a solo display being sponsored by KAI. There are three aircraft currently at Farnborough, the other 6 are in the process of being disassembled for transport back to Korea.

An absolutely cracking display which is on a par, if not better than the Red Arrows, they would give the Thunderbirds a master class in how to display after burning aircraft!

Andy
Andy Evans Aviation Photography
www.evansaviography.co.uk

stereospace

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post12 Jul 2012, 03:37

Stumbled onto this (great) video on the same channel of an entire nest of F-22's that's been stirred up at Nellis.
http://youtu.be/ipAYrWRcl8E

It's even available in 1080p if you can wait 20 minutes for YouTube to stream it, but 720p streams pretty well. I highly recommend 720p @ fullscreen. Enjoy!

:offtopic: :devil:

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post12 Jul 2012, 03:39

Thanks, Andy. Your information seems detailed enough to be accurate. I'll let you and Bjornar argue it out. :thanks:

jeffb

Banned

Unread post12 Jul 2012, 08:57

stereospace wrote:Stumbled onto this (great) video on the same channel of an entire nest of F-22's that's been stirred up at Nellis.
http://youtu.be/ipAYrWRcl8E

It's even available in 1080p if you can wait 20 minutes for YouTube to stream it, but 720p streams pretty well. I highly recommend 720p @ fullscreen. Enjoy!

:offtopic: :devil:

That was completely awesome Stereospace, Thank you!
(720p does work a treat!)

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post12 Jul 2012, 09:06

Terma Highlights F-35 Multi-Mission Pod July 12, 2012 by David Donald

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ ... ission-pod

"Denmark’s Terma is showing off, for the first time here at the show, the multi-mission pod (MMP) it has developed for the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. The MMP began life as the gun pod for the F-35, which Terma designed and developed on behalf of General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products, but the company has developed it into a more versatile pod that should prove attractive, in particular, to overseas operators of the JSF....

...Terma’s gun pod is a full-monocoque carbon fiber composite structure. It has passed engineering test and qualification, and is now in low-rate initial production. The pod itself was first flown in February,..."
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos

energo

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post12 Jul 2012, 22:42

boff180 wrote:Sorry but this is incorrect,

9 T50's arrived here via a number of Korean Air B747 freighter flights into Manchester airport. The aircraft were then transported by road to RAF Leeming for reassembly and test flying.

The team have performed full displays at RAF Waddington Interational Airshow and RIAT at RAF Fairford. The display at Farnborough is a solo display being sponsored by KAI. There are three aircraft currently at Farnborough, the other 6 are in the process of being disassembled for transport back to Korea.

An absolutely cracking display which is on a par, if not better than the Red Arrows, they would give the Thunderbirds a master class in how to display after burning aircraft!

Andy

You're absolutely right, I stand corrected.

B. Bolsoy

energo

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post12 Jul 2012, 23:05

johnwill wrote:Bjornar,
Many thanks for the information and the link to RIAT. Were you there? I agree the show was unique and very well done. Maybe I told you already, but I worked on the T-50 program in Korea from 2001 - 2005. So seeing the airplanes perform so well gave me a great feeling.

Yes indeed, vitnessed the display several times both in and outside the base. Pretty awesome having eight of them come in low over your head! Got the impression that these are high performing jets, more like an F-16 'light'. Clearly someone did a good job there. :thumb: Is the landing gear adapted from the F-16 by any chance?

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post23 Jul 2012, 06:50

energo wrote:
johnwill wrote:Bjornar,

Yes indeed, vitnessed the display several times both in and outside the base. Pretty awesome having eight of them come in low over your head! Got the impression that these are high performing jets, more like an F-16 'light'. Clearly someone did a good job there. :thumb: Is the landing gear adapted from the F-16 by any chance?

Bjornar,

The T-50 trainer is very much like an F-16 Light. 8g instead of 9g, and 1.6 mach instead of 2.0. Flight control is more advanced than F-16, with several refinements to improve accuracy of control, more "carefree" handling qualities, and damage recovery functions. F-16 control law diagrams require one page, T-50 requires at least sixteen pages, as I recall (possibly more).

The landing gear is nothing like the F-16, being designed and built by Messier in France.

doge

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post25 Jun 2021, 20:15

If this hasn't been posted to F-16.net yet, I'll try to post to this thread. :notworthy: (Because I saw it talked about in the previous page.)
Have you ever seen a photo of the F-35's actual Travel Pod? 8) This one.

There are two types, the old type and the new type.

Old Travel Pod.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CP8MjT0IUps/
USAF Airmen and Italian air force pose for a photo in front of a USAF F-35A assigned to the 4th FS, 388th FW, during Falcon Strike 21 at Amendola Air Base, Italy, June 7, 2021. (USAF photo by Airman 1st Class Brooke Moeder).jpg

New Travel Pod.
http://www.kihomac.virtualtsb.com/atp/a ... ochure.pdf
KIHOMAC F-35 LIGHTNING II ADVANCED TRAVEL POD
Currently en route to obtaining SEEK EAGLE certification, KIHOMAC’s F-35 Advanced Travel Pod offers a replacement for the legacy MXU-648 travel pod.
The new design incorporates decades of first-hand maintainer experience, upgrading key features to increase both the capabilities of the pod as well as usability. Patent Pending.

With a composite construction and a shape specifically designed for the internal carriage space of the F-35, the advanced travel pod more than doubles the usable volume and weight capacity while cutting the empty pod weight by 40%.
The new pod design offers handles, roll-prevention feet, an integrated tie-down system, and increased accessibility over the legacy pod.
Attachments
F-35 ADVANCED TRAVEL POD.jpg

h-bomb

Unread post25 Jun 2021, 22:45

Cool thanks for the share, I had wondered if they were ever going to move to an internal storage.

timmymagic

Unread post08 Jul 2021, 12:55

doge wrote:If this hasn't been posted to F-16.net yet, I'll try to post to this thread. :notworthy: (Because I saw it talked about in the previous page.)
Have you ever seen a photo of the F-35's actual Travel Pod? 8) This one.

There are two types, the old type and the new type.

Old Travel Pod.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CP8MjT0IUps/
USAF Airmen and Italian air force pose for a photo in front of a USAF F-35A assigned to the 4th FS, 388th FW, during Falcon Strike 21 at Amendola Air Base, Italy, June 7, 2021. (USAF photo by Airman 1st Class Brooke Moeder).jpg

New Travel Pod.
http://www.kihomac.virtualtsb.com/atp/a ... ochure.pdf
KIHOMAC F-35 LIGHTNING II ADVANCED TRAVEL POD
Currently en route to obtaining SEEK EAGLE certification, KIHOMAC’s F-35 Advanced Travel Pod offers a replacement for the legacy MXU-648 travel pod.
The new design incorporates decades of first-hand maintainer experience, upgrading key features to increase both the capabilities of the pod as well as usability. Patent Pending.

With a composite construction and a shape specifically designed for the internal carriage space of the F-35, the advanced travel pod more than doubles the usable volume and weight capacity while cutting the empty pod weight by 40%.
The new pod design offers handles, roll-prevention feet, an integrated tie-down system, and increased accessibility over the legacy pod.

If its 7.5ft that means it should be compatible with F-35B...
PreviousNext

Return to F-35 Armament, Stores and Tactics