Building the Kinetic DJ

Discuss technique and post photographs of your work in progress

by proudpop » 29 Nov 2008, 17:22

Continuing this thread from "scale models".

Started on the tail of the Kinetic DJ this morning. I'm building it along with 3 Tamiya CJ's so I'll use the Tamiya as a reference (maybe not the best idea).

The Tamiya kits as a rule are 1) Open box, 2) place a few drops of glue in box 3) shake box, 4) open box 5) remove finished model! :D

Disclaimer: This model should not be built until you have a few Hasegawa and Tamiya kits under your belt, or at least have their instructions available as a reference.

The Kinetic kit will return you to "old school" modeling. The tail pieces have many injector marks on them that have to be sanded/ground down (yes, the Dremel tool actually came out of its case). The vertical fin halves after gluing have a step along the leading edge seam. The dorsal has the same look from above as the Academy 1/32 kit (see pics). The vents F8 & F9 on the dorsal magically appear on the instructions without any mention of installing them. After assembly, the fit to the top of the fuselage was better that I expected, there is more gap on the Tamiya kit if you just use the poly-caps.
The detail lines/rivets are also more pronounced on the tail as mentioned before. I'll let you know how they look after weathering.

OK, so you have to tell yourself over and over, "This is not a Tamiya Kit".
You actually have to build, not just assemble it! After all the talk before its release, I didn't have high expectations. Having an new alternative, especially a new station wagon, is a nice change. OK, the kits not a Tamiya (said it again didn't I) but I still have one on backorder and I'm NOT going to cancel it! Stay tuned and thanks for reading through all this rambling-now go build you ownl!
Attachments
kinetic tail 001.jpg
kinetic tail 002.jpg
Kinetic on left, can anyone say Academy?
kinetic tail 003.jpg
Kinetic on top, Tamiya on bottom

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 30 Nov 2008, 03:50

Ok tail base shape....yikes...
Thanks for doing this, though. I don't have the benefit of having it in hand, and won't for a while, so this is good info.
Do your homework, Tiger!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Ruud » 30 Nov 2008, 18:18

Hoi Proudpop,

Looking forward to more installments of this build review/comparison.

later
Ruud

by proudpop » 01 Dec 2008, 20:31

Disclaimer: I'm going to attempt to build this kit OOB (out of the box)

Started on the cockpit. You have to install the rear seat side panels, then attach the armrest on the right wall of both pits, its a small part, cut it correctly and don't lose it! Then we come to the "ejection seats" :doh: I assembled them as per the instructions, I think! The back seat support is supposed to fit inside the rails, I think!
There was a hugh injector pin on the right seat half that has to be removed for the seat to "fit" in, BUT when the seat was fitted in and the glue dried, there was a gap between the seat cushion and the seat side (I filled it with Testor's clear parts cement). Once dried, the seat would NOT slide down into the tub! The back support made the rails too far apart. Before I start grinding, I have a few extra Hasegawa seats that I may try to install instead. I think I screwed the seats up too much! I'll try and test fit the Hasegawa and Tamiya seats tonight, we will see what happens. I can't be kit-bashing already! :nono:

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 02 Dec 2008, 00:06

Why not resin seats?
Do your homework, Tiger!

by proudpop » 02 Dec 2008, 05:13

Check out the seat comparison. The Kinetic seat doesn't even look to scale. Not sure where I'm going with seats-resin is another option. I'm still trying my best to OOB it. Don't know about the seats though! Zoom in to get a better look.
Attachments
seats 2.JPG
Seats L to R, Tamiya, Kinetic, Hasegawa
seats 3.JPG
seats 4.JPG

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 02 Dec 2008, 06:09

Which seat is which?
Do your homework, Tiger!

by proudpop » 02 Dec 2008, 15:18

check the picture description it says L-R Tamiya, Kinetic, Hasegawa.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 02 Dec 2008, 23:53

Didn't notice that. The Kinetic seat looks squat and out of scale.
Do your homework, Tiger!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Ruud » 08 Dec 2008, 21:51

Hoi,

Looks a bit dwarfish... no offense to the dwarfs.

later
Ruud

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 08 Dec 2008, 23:33

I was gonna say Elven, but the Tolkien definition, Elves are as big as humans, so I'd go with Hobbitian. :-p
Do your homework, Tiger!

by proudpop » 09 Dec 2008, 00:10

Lets look at the upper/lower fuselage.

Upper:
I attached the forward to the aft "just like" the Tamiya kit. Don't forget to remove to alignment pins from the front connector seam, they are not on the rear. The gap appeared after I removed the tape, glad I have some "Tamiya" putty. The rear panels are too thick and shaped wrong. I over worked the lower.

Lower:
The Ventrals appear to be at the correct angle, I don't know what all the fuss was about!

One little thing- The Panther on the right side should be a mirror image of the left side, they are both the same on the decal sheet. The paw should be forward on both sides. Maybe I'm to picky! :?
Attachments
fuselage gap.JPG
fall into the gap!
fuselage panels.JPG
looks like I over re-shaped the lower panel. Look at the walking Panther
lower fuselage.JPG
the angle looks OK to me
923894.jpg
check out the way the Panther is walking

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 09 Dec 2008, 00:44

Ok, so more observations here. It's clear that the rear fuse sides have absolutely NO twist in them, like they should. Thus, no inherent anhedral for the stabs. The gap in the fuse parts is pretty big. And the ventral fins have about TWICE as much angle as they should. The angle should only be 15 degrees, that looks more like 30.
Do your homework, Tiger!

by proudpop » 09 Dec 2008, 01:26

Here's a direct comparison.

It looks like there is some twist, or am I just looking at the wrong area?

The Ventrals do have more angle!

Hey, I was a RU-21H crewchief, I know the angles on that beast!
Attachments
Tamiya Tail.JPG
Tamiya Tail
Kinetic Tail.JPG
Kinetic Tail
Lower fuse comparision.JPG
Kinetic has the lower wings attached
Dads Prop.jpg
My a/c from 79-82

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 09 Dec 2008, 05:54

Ahhh, swell looking C-90 err...C-12! You sure it was the 12? I thought all the C-90 variants were C-6s.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind, I took your pics. They show perfectly what I'm talking about. I added the lines and text:
Do your homework, Tiger!

Next