F-15EX (is useless)

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.

Is the F-15EX really unnecessary?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes : 32

• Author

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post17 May 2021, 00:20

So, how long until the USAF says they need to replace F-15E's with F-15EX's..... :doh:

So, predictable............

Quote:

The F-15EX was initially purchased to replace F-15C/D Eagles that are nearing the end of their service life, but Brown’s disclosure also portends the eventual sunset of the F-15E Strike Eagle as well.

Hinote said that the service is still studying whether it can modify its F-15Es to an EX configuration or whether it will buy new planes from Boeing.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2021/05 ... successor/

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post17 May 2021, 01:51

Wait, I thought the F-15EX was getting cancelled? Well, I guess when you have an administration in power, that is for sale, anything is possible.
"There I was. . ."

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post17 May 2021, 03:52

sferrin wrote:Wait, I thought the F-15EX was getting cancelled? Well, I guess when you have an administration in power, that is for sale, anything is possible.

They could easily upgrade the F-15E's to EX's. Which, has the most merit. Yet, the St Louis Plant that builds the Eagle is in a Democratic District. So, expect them to spend more money buying new F-15EX's.

This while retiring the F-22........Wonder, if some still like the F-15EX? :wink:

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post17 May 2021, 18:55

Corsair1963 wrote:
sferrin wrote:Wait, I thought the F-15EX was getting cancelled? Well, I guess when you have an administration in power, that is for sale, anything is possible.

They could easily upgrade the F-15E's to EX's. Which, has the most merit. Yet, the St Louis Plant that builds the Eagle is in a Democratic District. So, expect them to spend more money buying new F-15EX's.

This while retiring the F-22........Wonder, if some still like the F-15EX? :wink:

Just imagine its 2005 and you tell a USAF commander his wonder-fighter the F-22 will be retired before... the very fighter it was built to replace. Even a big win/save by the F-22 at this point won't resurrect it, it's effectively doomed. The single most capable air to air.... museum piece you'll ever see.

And probably the most expensive too...

madrat

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post17 May 2021, 20:05

Early F-35A models will argue for that distinct recognition.

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post17 May 2021, 21:44

Corsair1963 wrote:So, the USAF is going to start to retire F-22's at the same time. It is acquiring brand new F-15EX's.......... :shock:

Is what it is.
Have F110, Block 70, will travel

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post19 May 2021, 18:23

jetblast16 wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:So, the USAF is going to start to retire F-22's at the same time. It is acquiring brand new F-15EX's.......... :shock:

Is what it is.

we owe Geogen a huge apology.
Choose Crews

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post19 May 2021, 18:34

mixelflick wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

Just imagine its 2005 and you tell a USAF commander his wonder-fighter the F-22 will be retired before... the very fighter it was built to replace. Even a big win/save by the F-22 at this point won't resurrect it, it's effectively doomed. The single most capable air to air.... museum piece you'll ever see.

And probably the most expensive too...

eventually everything is retired, its just a matter of when-- and thats the big question. For some reason we are convinced despite everything we've just witnessed the last 20 years with the 5th generation, that these new 6ht gen fighters are going to be fast, cheap, and easy.

Institutional amnesia is a helluva drug.

theres a long road ahead. A-10s looks toast about 7 years ago, Super hornet production was expected to be over by 2017. never says never. The f-22 may end up hanging around for a long time especially when NGAD runs into trouble or it gets canaceled or morphed into something else.

as I said, pay attention the last 30 years or so and don't make any strong bets. To this day I regret my A-12 Avenger II tattoo.

also in 2005 the commander you mention probably wouldn't be surprised, it was politically embattled its entire career once the wall fell. The numbers only went down, and we already saw it with the B-1 and B-2 vs the

madrat wrote:Early F-35A models will argue for that distinct recognition.

or the B-1 and B-2

Block I super hornets already won that also I believe. lots of examples I'm sure if one looks. Always seems like the "first batch" has issues. I honestly don't mind losing some of the early lot F-35As.

oh well. The USAF is not a competent institution. little wonder so many other branches insist on having their own air power.
Choose Crews

XanderCrews

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post19 May 2021, 18:38

milosh wrote: having good relation with future and old leading country of world isn't stupid move at all.

America isn't dead yet, China has plenty of its own problems, and it just proves my point that Israel can't be trusted.
Choose Crews

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 May 2021, 18:52

The closer a platform is tied to technology (read high-speed electronics and possibly stealth) the more susceptible to obsolescence it is, unless it is technically and economically updateable.

Technology, in many ways, is beginning to rapidly progress, across a wide range of fields. I think the Air Force knows this. They introduce a new platform, touting the "latest" in sensors, avionics, and stealth, and then have to confront its eroding relevance within 10 - 15 years of its introduction into service. Look at the F-35...it is strictly speaking, not yet in full operational service, and yet, the government and services are already working hard on making the next production block of the jet.

NGAD will need to be updateable. Period. Whether that actually plays out, remains to be seen; but at least the Air Force knows this must be the case and is working with industry to try and ensure that, from the beginning.

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 May 2021, 18:53

XanderCrews wrote:
jetblast16 wrote:

Is what it is.

we owe Geogen a huge apology.

YAWN..

ricnunes

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post22 May 2021, 22:33

XanderCrews wrote:
milosh wrote: having good relation with future and old leading country of world isn't stupid move at all.

America isn't dead yet, China has plenty of its own problems, and it just proves my point that Israel can't be trusted.

EXACTLY!

If the West needs to strike a blow against China all it needs is to move back their industry to their home nations or to other western nations. This would crumble the Chinese economy for good!
Yes, this would have consequences such as people (in the West) wouldn't be able to change their cell phones every year when a new model is released since these manufactured goods would become somehow more expensive. But guess what? Personally I don't do that so it wouldn't make much of a diference to me while at the same time the environment would appreciate (but where are all those 'green warriors' at this??) and this would also mean more jobs in western countries (which many complain the lack of).

So yes, the Chinese 'superpower rising' is supported by a very thin 'limbo'.
“Active stealth” is what the ignorant nay sayers call ECM and pretend like it’s new.

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post24 May 2021, 05:28

Doesn't sound like the F-15EX did very well at Northern Edge in Alaska?

F-15EX Wins Some, Loses Some in Northern Edge

May 20, 2021 | By John A. Tirpak

QUOTE:

The F-15EX both shot down some adversaries and was shot down itself during the recent Northern Edge wargame in Alaska, and work is underway to analyze the results of its first appearance in the major force exercise, according to a test pilot who participated. QUOTE: “We flew them with two-ships of F-15C models, two-ships of F-15E models, … two-ships of EXs supporting other fourth-gen [flights], and integrating with the F-22 and F-35,” he said.

Though the F-15EXs “tallied some kills while they were up there,” O’Rear acknowledged there were also some losses.

“If you go into any large force exercise and you come back with everybody—with no blue losses—I would probably say that your threat is not as robust as it needs to be, in order to get the learning,” he said. Northern Edge was meant to be a multi-service exercise against a near-peer threat having some low-observable capabilities.

https://www.airforcemag.com/f-15ex-wins ... hern-edge/

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post24 May 2021, 20:26

That sounds like spin to me :doh:
“If you go into any large force exercise and you come back with everybody—with no blue losses—I would probably say that your threat is not as robust as it needs to be, in order to get the learning,” he said. Northern Edge was meant to be a multi-service exercise against a near-peer threat having some low-observable capabilities.

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post25 May 2021, 02:04

jetblast16 wrote:

That sounds like spin to me :doh:

The whole point of the exercise was to face a serious near-peer threat. Yet, the "Super Eagle" suffered losses......the same plane that the USAF would operate for another 30+ years. That doesn't bode well as future threats evolve!

Funny, the F-22 and F-35 rarely do..... :wink:
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft