FC-31 stealth fighter thread.

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post27 May 2020, 13:09

They have their work cut out for them with the J-31, that's for sure. But the amount of work will likely be minimized given their espionage efforts, which sadly are quite impressive.

So I'd expect it to show up sooner or later, primarily on the world market but with some domestically equipped units as well. Carrier capable? Tough to say. If it is to be, it will likely be many years before we see it operational. The assumption all along has been the J-31 is much better suited to being carrier operations. That might not be true though, as the Chinese have yet to procure an indigenous design for carrier operations - let alone a stealth aircraft.

They sure are biting off a lot to chew though. J-20 in service, at least 1 and possibly 2 other lighter stealth fighters. Rumored to be 2 stealth like bombers, new supercarriers... and on and on. That's a lot of engineering brain damage, a lot of $ and a lot of testing. Far more ambitious than anything the Russians are attempting.

Not all of them will meet with success, and it'll be interesting to see which projects are shelved/come to fruition..

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post28 May 2020, 03:34

The J-31 will very likely become the back bone of the PLAAF and PLAN. In addition I have little doubt that the J-31 was planned from the start as a Land Based Fighter for the PLAAF, Carrier Based Fighter for the PLAN, and Export Fighter.

As for the engines the RD-93's are adequate in the short term. Until the WS-13's are ready. Hell, even if the latter failed. Additional upgraded RD-93's would be another option....(Plan B)

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post02 Sep 2020, 09:31

This recent model of the J-31 looks very much like a twin engine F-35.... :|

J31AAA.jpeg

https://twitter.com/RupprechtDeino/stat ... 68/photo/1

zhangmdev

Unread post02 Sep 2020, 11:12

Very fitting annotation: the Gyrfalcon myth

milosh

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post02 Sep 2020, 21:02

Corsair1963 wrote:This recent model of the J-31 looks very much like a twin engine F-35.... :|

J31AAA.jpeg

All variants look like twin engine F-35.

jessmo112

Unread post02 Sep 2020, 21:24

Corsair1963 wrote:This recent model of the J-31 looks very much like a twin engine F-35.... :|

J31AAA.jpeg

Hows fatty doing? Have they managed to get an engine in the thing that doesnt need after burner for level flight?

disconnectedradical

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post03 Sep 2020, 01:46

Is PLAAF even interested in this? From what I can tell they’re not really committed to this thing. That said, it’s not like the F-35 can supercruise either, so not sure what the point of the above comment is other than nationalist chest beating.

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post03 Sep 2020, 02:10

disconnectedradical wrote:Is PLAAF even interested in this? From what I can tell they’re not really committed to this thing. That said, it’s not like the F-35 can supercruise either, so not sure what the point of the above comment is other than nationalist chest beating.

You must be kidding.....the J-31 will become the backbone of both the PLAAF and PLAN. Hell, they likely will even export the type.

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post03 Sep 2020, 07:51

Corsair1963 wrote:
disconnectedradical wrote:Is PLAAF even interested in this? From what I can tell they’re not really committed to this thing. That said, it’s not like the F-35 can supercruise either, so not sure what the point of the above comment is other than nationalist chest beating.

You must be kidding.....the J-31 will become the backbone of both the PLAAF and PLAN. Hell, they likely will even export the type.

I think the only way this works for PLAAF is if they redesign it for single AL-41 and settle for transonic F-117A level performance with light payload, and forget about A2A.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post03 Sep 2020, 08:27

element1loop wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

I think the only way this works for PLAAF is if they redesign it for single AL-41 and settle for transonic F-117A level performance with light payload, and forget about A2A.

What are you talking about??? They have no reason to redesign the J-31. Especially, considering they already did once!

Even then the general size and layout are the same. As a matter of fact the vast majority of fighters are of a similar size. (Medium) Which, will allow the J-31 to perform numerous roles.

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post03 Sep 2020, 09:07

Corsair1963 wrote:
element1loop wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:You must be kidding.....the J-31 will become the backbone of both the PLAAF and PLAN. Hell, they likely will even export the type.

What are you talking about??? They have no reason to redesign the J-31. Especially, considering they already did once!

Even then the general size and layout are the same. As a matter of fact the vast majority of fighters are of a similar size. (Medium) Which, will allow the J-31 to perform numerous roles.

They have you bluffed.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post03 Sep 2020, 09:18

element1loop wrote:
They have you bluffed.

In what respect??? Clearly, not size as the J-31 is very similar in dimensions to other contemporaries. (F-35, KF-X, TFX, and AMCA)

Speaking of the latter types. Russia made a colossal mistake when it developed the PAK-FA (Su-57) over the Mikoyan LMFS. As the mid-sized Mig Stealth Fighter would have had far better export potential. Now nothing is left but the crying.

This in turn will give China much of the future Non-Western Fighter Market. Because Russia won't have anything to offer for another 20+ years at least and likely more.

madrat

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post03 Sep 2020, 12:25

How's that Belt & Road export market looking in the COVID-19 era?

madrat

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post03 Sep 2020, 12:32

element1loop wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

Al-41 is too light. They'd need the big engine built in Samara.

milosh

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post03 Sep 2020, 18:55

element1loop wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

They have UCAVs for that, and those can carry more or bigger bombs/missiles then FC-31 (not so big weapon bay).
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft