Russian UAV/UCAV developments

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by babybat{}.net » 12 Sep 2018, 14:41

element1loop wrote:Whereas according to you the Altius-M will have a range of ~2,000 km,
Attachments
IMG_20180912_163829.jpg
IMG_20180912_163829.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 23784 times
gDYrH.jpg

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 12 Sep 2018, 16:50

This thread is amusing, like many of Russia's "breakthroughs" and associate IOC dates.

But I will say this: They would be better served to try and develop an unmanned UAV for air to air combat, vs. pouring more rubles down the PAK FA hole (I refuse to refer to it as the SU-57, which is an operational designation). That project has faltered badly, and by the time they get the right engines in it etc, it'll be hopelessly outclassed by updated Raptors and F-35's.

They are so far behind, they have to try the hail mary and although it's a longshot the alternative is grim: Continuing to pump out 4th gen Flankers in a 5th gen world.

Banned

by project458 » 16 Sep 2018, 22:26

mixelflick wrote:This thread is amusing, like many of Russia's "breakthroughs" and associate IOC dates.

But I will say this: They would be better served to try and develop an unmanned UAV for air to air combat, vs. pouring more rubles down the PAK FA hole (I refuse to refer to it as the SU-57, which is an operational designation). That project has faltered badly, and by the time they get the right engines in it etc, it'll be hopelessly outclassed by updated Raptors and F-35's.

Ha, more predictions from the guy who still thinks Su-35 ans Su-57 share the same Avionics and Engines lol

They are so far behind, they have to try the hail mary and although it's a longshot the alternative is grim: Continuing to pump out 4th gen Flankers in a 5th gen world.

Russian air force is always getting new aircraft, just this month 3 new Su-30SM and 3 Su-34

Compare the Russian Air force of 2008 when the modernization started and now its like day and night, back then it had trouble hitting targets in Georgia in daylight and now its dropping glonass guided bombs at night in Syria 2000km from away from Russia border, and in a another 10 years their will be similar jump in capabilities, which include a couple squadrons of Su-57.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 17 Sep 2018, 00:21

project458 wrote:
mixelflick wrote:This thread is amusing, like many of Russia's "breakthroughs" and associate IOC dates.

Russian air force is always getting new aircraft, just this month 3 new Su-30SM and 3 Su-34

Thanks so much for making my point!

Compare the Russian Air force of 2008 when the modernization started and now its like day and night, back then it had trouble hitting targets in Georgia in daylight and now its dropping glonass guided bombs at night in Syria 2000km from away from Russia border, and in a another 10 years their will be similar jump in capabilities, which include a couple squadrons of Su-57.

You know what? You're right! It's like they've gone from the 1980's to the 1990's! And what's this you say? A couple of squadrons of SU-57's in another 10 years? Bravo! Well done my man. You really did drive the point home: Russia is really movin' and shakin' in the biz of combat aircraft.

When can we expect you'll announce you have the internet on your cell phone?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by element1loop » 17 Sep 2018, 18:24

As I remember the Su35 can do anything required by RuAF, so Su57 was deemed surplus to requirements until later in the century, when the West finally catches up to Su35 and manages to compete with it. Su57 is described as a 'trump card', to ensure Russia will not lose control of the air. So you only need almost but not quite none of them.

… As you know, our Su-35 is among the best aircraft in the world. Because of that there is little reason to rush the work toward mass-producing a fifth generation aircraft. This is our trump card which we can always play should the previous generation start falling behind their equivalents from leading world countries. - Yuri Borisov

http://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/5340291

It appears RuAF have out-schmarted everyone.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by babybat{}.net » 18 Sep 2018, 08:10

element1loop wrote:As I remember the Su35 can do anything required by RuAF, so Su57 was deemed surplus to requirements until later in the century, when the West finally catches up to Su35 and manages to compete with it. Su57 is described as a 'trump card', to ensure Russia will not lose control of the air. So you only need almost but not quite none of them.

The main task of the pak-fa program was the preservation of competences and the design and engineering school. This task was successfully completed. As an example - the collective could create a black wing for the ms-21, a unique control system for the okhotnik-b, an integrated modular avionics for advanced vehicles, etc.
Without a pak-fa program it would not be possible anymore.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 18 Sep 2018, 10:07

babybat{}.net wrote:
element1loop wrote:As I remember the Su35 can do anything required by RuAF, so Su57 was deemed surplus to requirements until later in the century, when the West finally catches up to Su35 and manages to compete with it. Su57 is described as a 'trump card', to ensure Russia will not lose control of the air. So you only need almost but not quite none of them.

The main task of the pak-fa program was the preservation of competences and the design and engineering school. This task was successfully completed. As an example - the collective could create a black wing for the ms-21, a unique control system for the okhotnik-b, an integrated modular avionics for advanced vehicles, etc.
Without a pak-fa program it would not be possible anymore.

Glad you cleared that up. Our mistake for thinking they might actually be trying to build a 5gen jet and not just practice some new skills. :devil:
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 18 Sep 2018, 14:58

babybat{}.net wrote:

This is just awesome...

The spin just never ends in Russia, does it? Can you tell us why Russia started building a super carrier then stopped? Was that to "preserve competencies and the design and engineering school of Russian naval shipyards?

If the Russians succeeded with the PAK FA, they'd be building at least a hundred SU-57's. As it stands, a dozen (or maybe 15) are on order. I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is an experiment, not an operationally deployed combat aircraft...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by babybat{}.net » 19 Sep 2018, 09:06

mixelflick wrote:The spin just never ends in Russia, does it? Can you tell us why Russia started building a super carrier then stopped? Was that to "preserve competencies and the design and engineering school of Russian naval shipyards?

You're confusing something. Russia has never started the construction of aircraft carriers. The shipyard, where the first Soviet super carrier was founded, is located in Nikolaev, Ukraine.

mixelflick wrote:If the Russians succeeded with the PAK FA, they'd be building at least a hundred SU-57's. As it stands, a dozen (or maybe 15) are on order.

In Russia, do not let in a series of aircraft that have not passed the full cycle of tests. Initially, a pilot batch is being built for transfer to the Lipetsk aviation center, where the development and implementation of methods of combat use of aviation complexes is being carried out. By results of tests, and after elimination of shortcomings, the decision on their acceptance on combat duty is made.

mixelflick wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is an experiment, not an operationally deployed combat aircraft...

You're wrong. The experimental aircraft was the su-47. Su-57 stage 1 is a prototype of perspective complex of front-line aviation.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by babybat{}.net » 19 Sep 2018, 09:10

popcorn wrote:Glad you cleared that up. Our mistake for thinking they might actually be trying to build a 5gen jet and not just practice some new skills. :devil:

In Russia are clearly understand that it is impossible to jump over generation.
Without bringing to the serial appearance of the 5th generation and the adoption of at least a few dozen fighters, it will not be possible to move to the 6th generation. Competence and experience cannot come from nowhere.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 19 Sep 2018, 09:17

babybat{}.net wrote:
popcorn wrote:Glad you cleared that up. Our mistake for thinking they might actually be trying to build a 5gen jet and not just practice some new skills. :devil:

Without bringing to the serial appearance of the 5th generation and the adoption of at least a few dozen fighters, it will not be possible to move to the 6th generation. Competence and experience cannot come from nowhere.

But....but...but... what about the 6gen jet that's coming out next? :devil:

"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by element1loop » 19 Sep 2018, 12:34

popcorn wrote:
babybat{}.net wrote:

But....but...but... what about the 6gen jet that's coming out next? :devil:

Settle Pop, you're 50 years early. :mrgreen:
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by babybat{}.net » 19 Sep 2018, 13:49

popcorn wrote:But....but...but... what about the 6gen jet that's coming out next? :devil:

Unfortunately, I have no right to provide any information(
Appearance will be declassified after the first flight, but some information you get much earlier. I think that in 5-7 years it will be possible to conduct some discussions on this topic

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 19 Sep 2018, 13:52

You're confusing something. Russia has never started the construction of aircraft carriers. The shipyard, where the first Soviet super carrier was founded, is located in Nikolaev, Ukraine.

OK. And what type of fighters were going to fly from it? From all available sources, it was to be Mig-29k's. See, when there are red stars on the wings it doesn't matter where it was built..

mixelflick wrote:If the Russians succeeded with the PAK FA, they'd be building at least a hundred SU-57's. As it stands, a dozen (or maybe 15) are on order.

In Russia, do not let in a series of aircraft that have not passed the full cycle of tests. Initially, a pilot batch is being built for transfer to the Lipetsk aviation center, where the development and implementation of methods of combat use of aviation complexes is being carried out. By results of tests, and after elimination of shortcomings, the decision on their acceptance on combat duty is made

How does series production differ from mass production? We've been told by posters here there'd be SU-57's rolling off production lines soon. Yet the Russian gov't issued a press release stating there will be NO mass production, and in fact they'd be skipping to the 6th gen fighter.

mixelflick wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is an experiment, not an operationally deployed combat aircraft...

You're wrong. The experimental aircraft was the su-47. Su-57 stage 1 is a prototype of perspective complex of front-line aviation.[/quote]

When you fail to mass produce a fighter, it was an experiment. PAK FA's experiment just got a little further along than the Mig I.44. Russian aviation is littered with such experiments, most of which have birds roosting in their rotting airframes today. Put it this way: There's a lot better chance PAK FA will wind up in a museum, vs. equipping front line Russian units and replacing Flankers (which offer about 90% of the capability, for a much lower price)..

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by babybat{}.net » 19 Sep 2018, 14:44

mixelflick wrote:OK. And what type of fighters were going to fly from it? From all available sources, it was to be Mig-29k's. See, when there are red stars on the wings it doesn't matter where it was built.

The su-33m and mig-29km fighters were planned,

followed by replacement with a promising low-observed fighter based on the su-27km project

and Yak-44RDL AWACS

mixelflick wrote:How does series production differ from mass production? We've been told by posters here there'd be SU-57's rolling off production lines soon. Yet the Russian gov't issued a press release stating there will be NO mass production, and in fact they'd be skipping to the 6th gen fighter.

I'll try to explain.
Initially, it was planned to purchase 200-250 units. But due to the shift of the program terms by a several years to the right, the number is likely to be reduced to 96 units, and the released resources will be used to fine-tune okhotnik-b and some other promising programs.

mixelflick wrote:When you fail to mass produce a fighter, it was an experiment. PAK FA's experiment just got a little further along than the Mig I.44.

Sorry, but funny to read this)
If would you knew on how stillborn was 1.44 project, you would laughed too)

mixelflick wrote:Russian aviation is littered with such experiments, most of which have birds roosting in their rotting airframes today.

:shock: :shock: Can you show me at least one such experiments? 1.44 - was stillborn 4+ gen prototype, s-37 was NAVY fighter technology demonstrator, more about any extant to the stage of the prototype in Russia have not heard. Maybe you have some unique information?

mixelflick wrote:Put it this way: There's a lot better chance PAK FA will wind up in a museum, vs. equipping front line Russian units and replacing Flankers

Just be patient, the first contract for 12 aircraft will be followed by the next for 24 or 48, but the stage 2.

mixelflick wrote:(which offer about 90% of the capability, for a much lower price)..

Sorry, but you don't know the capabilities of su-57, it is a secret information.

PreviousNext