F-18E/F 2017

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neptune » 30 Aug 2017, 03:34

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ng-440676/

Boeing outlines India F/A-18 E/F offering

30 August, 2017
BY: Greg Waldron

Boeing is actively promoting its F/A-18 E/F fighter for a future Indian naval requirement, with promise of a major industrial program. The US air framer recently discussed its bid for an Indian navy requirement for 57 fighters at a media event in New Delhi. Presentation slides the company provided to FlightGlobal showed that its "Block III" Super Hornet offering includes signature improvements to reduce the jet's radar cross section, an infrared search and track (IRST) sensor situated in a centerline fuel pod, and conformal fuel tanks to boost the aircraft's range. Also included is an updated cockpit with a single, large panel display. The package resembles Boeing's Super Hornet International Roadmap offering, which it promoted for India's former Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) acquisition for 126 aircraft for the air force. This deal was ultimately won by the Dassault Rafale, and although MMRCA ultimately fell through, New Delhi still ordered 36 Rafales.

A big part of Boeing's offering is its industrial package, a key requirement under New Delhi's 'Make in India' initiative. One slide notes that current production of the type in the United States employs 60,000 people and involves 800 suppliers. For India, Boeing is offering final assembly, the opportunity to "maximize indigenous content," and the chance to participate in the type's global supply chain. In a video interview with Indian defense site Livefist, Dan Gillian, vice president, F/A-18 & EA-18 programs at Boeing, said the Super Hornet is capable of operating from India's existing carriers, having determined this through simulations with the Indian Navy. "We think we can move around the deck, be fully operational, be very mission capable with a relevant weapons load out to give the navy what they need," Gillian told Livefist. "We think we can bring the power of Boeing and what we've learned on F-18 to build a next generation factory for India, which will also allow India to build its next generation aircraft as well."

India operates a single aircraft carrier, the INS Vikramaditya, which operates RSK MiG-29K fighters. Unlike US carriers, which use a catapult to launch aircraft, it launches aircraft via a ramp, in a short take-off but arrested recovery (STOBAR) configuration. Another STOBAR carrier, the INS Vikrant, is under construction. A third carrier, IAC-II, is being designed. This ship could have a CATOBAR (Catapult Assisted Take-Off But Arrested Recovery) arrangement similar to US carriers.
:)

Has the F-18E/F qualified off a ski-jump?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by SpudmanWP » 30 Aug 2017, 04:20

In simulations only
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 30 Aug 2017, 17:40

I thought the Indians picked the F-16, or is that mis information/fake news?

I can see them opting for the Super Duper Hornet though. Especially if they need a backup to the Mig-29k... reading about all sorts of problems with that one...

Banned

by tincansailor » 30 Aug 2017, 18:09

There was a strange Super Hornet story yesterday. The American President claimed Finland had agreed to buy a large order of Super Hornets. The Finnish President stood there looking surprised, because there is no such deal. Very strange.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... -disagrees

Location: Home of nuclear submarines, engines, and that's about it.

by white_lightning35 » 30 Aug 2017, 19:24

Sometimes I wonder if "the American president" talks about hallucinations he has. He is perhaps in a drug-induced stupor that makes him speak like a retarded chimp? Does he have advisors to tell him to think before he speaks, or have they just given up?

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 30 Aug 2017, 19:59

white_lightning35 wrote:Sometimes I wonder if "the American president" talks about hallucinations he has. He is perhaps in a drug-induced stupor that makes him speak like a retarded chimp? Does he have advisors to tell him to think before he speaks, or have they just given up?

We'll build Super Hornets, and make Finland pay for them!!

Location: Home of nuclear submarines, engines, and that's about it.

by white_lightning35 » 30 Aug 2017, 20:30

They'll be tremendous planes, folks, simply tremendous. Did you know they have these things called radars? I know all about them, even better than the generals do, let me tell you.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by southernphantom » 31 Aug 2017, 19:52

mixelflick wrote:I thought the Indians picked the F-16, or is that mis information/fake news?

I can see them opting for the Super Duper Hornet though. Especially if they need a backup to the Mig-29k... reading about all sorts of problems with that one...

This is for the Indian naval air arm. A carrier-capable F-16 does not exist, as far as I know.

The Super Bug would be a huge step up compared to the MiG-29. This would be a smart purchase for India, if the SH can function off a ski jump.
I'm a mining engineer. How the hell did I wind up here?

Banned

by tincansailor » 31 Aug 2017, 23:16

southernphantom wrote:
mixelflick wrote:I thought the Indians picked the F-16, or is that mis information/fake news?

This is for the Indian naval air arm. A carrier-capable F-16 does not exist, as far as I know.

The Super Bug would be a huge step up compared to the MiG-29. This would be a smart purchase for India, if the SH can function off a ski jump.

I'm sure it will be a big improvement. However the F-18E will still be restricted to low payload operations. The F-35B would be much more effective. The problem with selling the F-35B is security, and technology transfer. India is too close to the Russians, and they might let them have a peak. We have the same problem with Turkey.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by southernphantom » 02 Sep 2017, 05:26

Agreed on both points, tincan.
I'm a mining engineer. How the hell did I wind up here?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by geforcerfx » 02 Sep 2017, 07:15

tincansailor wrote: The F-18E will still be restricted to low payload operations.

I guess that depends on if the block III is still getting the 414EPE engine. When they first showed off the advance super hornet/block III it had CFT's and the epe engines, so power wise it would be around a F-15C while weighing around 3-4,000lbs more at loaded weight.

Banned

by tincansailor » 02 Sep 2017, 08:29

[
quote="geforcerfx"]
tincansailor wrote: The F-18E will still be restricted to low payload operations.

I guess that depends on if the block III is still getting the 414EPE engine. When they first showed off the advance super hornet/block III it had CFT's and the epe engines, so power wise it would be around a F-15C while weighing around 3-4,000lbs more at loaded weight.

[/quote]

Do you think even with the improved engines an ASH could takeoff at max takeoff weight without catapult launch? You'd need a lot of wind over the deck. Carrier running at 30kt into a 30kt wind. I've always wondered if hitting a takeoff ramp is hard on the landing gear? Just seems to me like a Doolittle type takeoff. Over the bow, while it's pitching up, and pray you don't hit the water. Near as I can find the max takeoff weight runway needed for an F-18C is 4,500ft. Min weight is 2,300ft. If it can be done it's got to be close.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by mixelflick » 03 Sep 2017, 17:32

This is going to be interesting. LM is going to try real hard with their F-16, Boeing with their F-18, Super Duper Hornet and of course the euro canards.

I see the Super Duper in their future though. Will certainly measure up quite well vs. the Mig-29K...

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by geforcerfx » 03 Sep 2017, 21:40

mixelflick wrote:I see the Super Duper in their future though. Will certainly measure up quite well vs. the Mig-29K...

I see the rafale M being the better choice over the super hornet since they will have parts/training commonality with the air force birds, but that's logical and India hasn't shown much logic in there procurement capabilities. I mean 12 different type of aircraft is a good idea right. :doh:

Banned

by tincansailor » 04 Sep 2017, 02:32

[
quote="geforcerfx"]
mixelflick wrote:I see the Super Duper in their future though. Will certainly measure up quite well vs. the Mig-29K...

I see the rafale M being the better choice over the super hornet since they will have parts/training commonality with the air force birds, but that's logical and India hasn't shown much logic in there procurement capabilities. I mean 12 different type of aircraft is a good idea right. :doh:

[/quote]

It's the same question with the Rafale M, can it operate effectively without catapult assisted launch? The only jets that have ever operated off a carrier without catapults are VSTOL, or STOVL aircraft. Some jets have used rocket boasted takeoff systems. I don't think anyone would want to take the risk of using strap on rockets on carrier based aircraft. They might take the risk if they think they have no alternative, but I don't think it would be anyone's first choice.

Next