F-15EX

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post06 May 2021, 19:04

I'm not exactly sure what, if anything, they can place the backseat (cockpit) of the new F-15 with. I suppose if they wanted to, they could rip out most of the cockpit and wire-up new electronics equipment, but my strong guess is, that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

My personal belief is this...as time goes on, and assuming the "-EX" program isn't terminated prematurely, the Air Force is going to make more use of the backseat, as, let's face it, they will be in possession of a variant of the F-15 that is more capable than the Strike Eagle, or P-47 Thunderbolt :roll:
Have F110, Block 70, will travel

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 May 2021, 00:42

210504-F-XG347-1232.jpg
F-15EX take to the Alaska skies for testing

F-15EXs sit on the ramp prior to flight at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in support of Northern Edge 2021. The purpose of the F-15EX’s participation in Northern Edge is to allow for immediate deep-end testing in a complex jamming environment to gather essential test data for what works and what needs improvement.

Source: https://www.af.mil/News/Photos/igphoto/2002636197/

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post07 May 2021, 14:38

Just imagine an F-22 pilot's reaction to seeing USAF's "newest" fighter.... an aircraft the F-22 was to replace. People in USAF must fall into 2 camps- Those who love getting new F-15's, and those that don't. Probably won't be much in between..

Personally, I'm anxiousy awaiting the results of this little experiment. Moreso to see if its performance does anything to sway the opinion(s) of 1 vs. the other...

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 May 2021, 17:30

JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska (AFNS) --
Just weeks after delivery to Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, the F-15EX – both 001 and 002 – have taken to the Alaska skies for exercise Northern Edge 21, May 3-14.

The purpose of the F-15EX’s participation in Northern Edge is to allow for immediate deep-end testing in a complex jamming environment to gather essential test data for what works and what needs improvement. This is critical to expose the F-15EX to this environment now to make changes early on and allow for an aggressive test and fielding timeline.

“At Northern Edge we’re assessing how the F-15EX can perform in a jamming environment, to include GPS, radar and Link 16 jamming,” said Maj. Aaron Eshkenazi, F-15EX pilot, 85th Test and Evaluation Squadron. “The other main goal is assessing the EX’s interoperability with fourth and fifth-generation assets. With more than 60 aircraft airborne during every vul (vulnerability period – the period of time when an aircraft is vulnerable to harm) at Northern Edge, we’re putting the jet in the role it will perform in once it’s fielded, and seeing how it does. So far, it’s been performing really well.”

While at Northern Edge, F-15EX pilots, test engineers and others from both the 85th TES, 53rd Wing and 40th Flight Test Squadron, 96th Test Wing, are gathering test data points and accomplishing test objectives, to include:

- Performance of technological advancements and subsystems, such as the advanced cockpit system, large area displays, and the new helmet, the digital Helmet Mounted Cueing System for the F-15EX
- Eagle Passive Active Warning Survivability System performance defending both the F-15EX itself and other joint fourth- and fifth-generation platforms
- Overall radar performance
- Interoperability with other platforms

“As an Air Force, we are charged by the CSAF (Gen. Charles Q. Brown, Jr.), to accelerate change; by bringing the F-15EX to Northern Edge already, we are getting after that objective,” said Col. Ryan Messer, 53rd Wing commander. “Northern Edge is the ideal initial stress test for the platform, and we are fully integrating it just like any other aircraft participating. The objective of operational tests isn’t for everything to go perfectly, but to identify what needs improvement, and Northern Edge, with its opportunities for fourth-fifth generation integration in a complex range environment, will show us exactly that.”

Eshkenazi explained the F-15EX is able to come to an exercise like Northern Edge and safely participate in an operationally complex and dynamic environment because it’s not an altogether new platform. Much of the initial testing typically required on a new platform was accomplished during flight tests of the other versions of the F-15. This has also allowed for seamless integration between developmental and operational tests between the 53rd Wing, 96th Test Wing, and the Air Force Reserve Command's 84th Test and Evaluation Squadron.

“Getting F-15EXs to Northern Edge on time to support the exercise was a massive undertaking by all involved given the tight timelines between aircraft delivery and now,” said Maj. Brett Hughes, F-15EX pilot, 40th Flight Test Squadron. “Despite arriving at Eglin (AFB) less than one and a half months ago, and less than two weeks ago for EX-2, both aircraft arrived in time for Northern Edge 21. This speaks volumes about the integrated test effort and the confidence we have in the platform to deliver combat capability from the start. The end of the exercise will represent just the beginning of EX testing, but proves the rapid test efforts of DT/OT (developmental testing/operational testing) integration and showcasing innovation through integration.”

During Northern Edge, some pilots are flying the F-15EX for the second time ever, which showcases how smooth the transition is from the F-15C to the F-15EX. Furthermore, the F-15EX is flying with Suite 9.1 “X,” a version of Operational Flight Program Suite 9.1, which is comparable to Suite 9.1 “RR” that F-15Es and F-15Cs are currently testing and preparing to field.

Northern Edge 21 is a U.S. Indo-Pacific Command exercise designed to provide high-end, realistic war fighter training, develop and improve joint interoperability, and enhance the combat readiness of participating forces. This is done by providing a venue for large-force employment training and multi-domain operations; tactical training for the full spectrum of conflict; execute and advance adaptive basing joint tactics, techniques, and procedures; advance live-virtual-constructive capabilities; and support U.S. Indo-Pacific Command’s experimental initiatives. The F-15EX’s participation supports the development of many of these objectives.

Source: https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display ... r-testing/

rowbeartoe

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post08 May 2021, 03:34

jetblast16 wrote:I'm not exactly sure what, if anything, they can place the backseat (cockpit) of the new F-15 with. I suppose if they wanted to, they could rip out most of the cockpit and wire-up new electronics equipment, but my strong guess is, that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

My personal belief is this...as time goes on, and assuming the "-EX" program isn't terminated prematurely, the Air Force is going to make more use of the backseat, as, let's face it, they will be in possession of a variant of the F-15 that is more capable than the Strike Eagle, or P-47 Thunderbolt :roll:

I'm thinking the backseat could give the option for the 2nd "pilot" to control drones or something that could help the primary pilot to focus on other mission specific options. That said, modern times is proving that 1 pilot should be enough with all the fire and forget weapons. These are just my 2 cents. :)

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post09 May 2021, 14:16

I've said it before so I'll say it again: EPAWSS is the biggest wildcard the EX brings to the table. Every time I read more about it, it alludes to greater and greater capability. Here for example, it speaks to EPAWSS ability to protect not just the EX itself, but other assets in theater. Maybe it's just me, but that's the first time I'm reading about such.

Really makes me wonder what EPAWSS vs. the S-3/400 would look like.

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post09 May 2021, 14:18

I've said it before so I'll say it again: EPAWSS is the biggest wildcard the EX brings to the table. Every time I read more about it, it alludes to greater and greater capability. Here for example, it speaks to EPAWSS ability to protect not just the EX itself, but other assets in theater. Maybe it's just me, but that's the first time I'm reading about such.

Really makes me wonder what EPAWSS vs. the S-3/400 would look like. I have to believe that in all that time over Syria (plus what, if anything the Israeli's have shared) they've got the S-300's/400's number..

Fox1

Unread post09 May 2021, 23:49

mixelflick wrote:I've said it before so I'll say it again: EPAWSS is the biggest wildcard the EX brings to the table. Every time I read more about it, it alludes to greater and greater capability. Here for example, it speaks to EPAWSS ability to protect not just the EX itself, but other assets in theater. Maybe it's just me, but that's the first time I'm reading about such.

Really makes me wonder what EPAWSS vs. the S-3/400 would look like. I have to believe that in all that time over Syria (plus what, if anything the Israeli's have shared) they've got the S-300's/400's number..

Yeah, I found that little tidbit intriguing as well. Many have been trying to speculate why the USAF wants the F-15EX in an F-22/F-35/Fifth Gen world. Some have thought weapons load, ability to carry very large weapons, using the backseat as a space for a drone controller, range, speed, etc. But what if EPAWSS is the biggest draw of the F-15EX? I had never really considered it that game changing before, but if a 4th Gen fighter has a system so good that it is being used to provide protection to other 4th and even 5th Gen aircraft, then that must be one helluva capable system!

Corsair1963

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post10 May 2021, 04:24

Fox1 wrote:
mixelflick wrote:I've said it before so I'll say it again: EPAWSS is the biggest wildcard the EX brings to the table. Every time I read more about it, it alludes to greater and greater capability. Here for example, it speaks to EPAWSS ability to protect not just the EX itself, but other assets in theater. Maybe it's just me, but that's the first time I'm reading about such.

Yeah, I found that little tidbit intriguing as well. Many have been trying to speculate why the USAF wants the F-15EX in an F-22/F-35/Fifth Gen world. Some have thought weapons load, ability to carry very large weapons, using the backseat as a space for a drone controller, range, speed, etc. But what if EPAWSS is the biggest draw of the F-15EX? I had never really considered it that game changing before, but if a 4th Gen fighter has a system so good that it is being used to provide protection to other 4th and even 5th Gen aircraft, then that must be one helluva capable system!

The F-15EX is being purchased because of politics and jobs. In short it's nothing more than Corporate Welfare for Boeing.

hornetfinn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post10 May 2021, 11:35

EPAWSS is likely the most advanced ESM/EW system for any 4th gen fighter as it's currently the newest and draws directly from technologies and solutions developed for AN/ASQ-239 and DEWS (for Saudi F-15s). It's definitely a huge jump in capability for F-15s and likely gives many similar capabilities in detecting, locating and identifying enemy radars and other RF threats than say F-35.

But F-15 will always have huge RCS which means it won't be able to do what F-35 for example can. It won't be able to get close to enemy threats as the laws of physics make it impossible to protect itself even remotely equally. Basically F-35 can probably get at least 10 times closer to enemy radars than what F-15 can do if we assume similar system effectiveness and threat systems. That's huge difference for both self-protection and support jamming (protecting other assets). So this system is huge increase in capability for F-15s, but will not make it nearly as effective ISR/ESM/EW platform overall as F-35 even if EPAWSS was significantly superior to ASQ-239.

Scorpion1alpha

F-16.net Moderator

F-16.net Moderator

Unread post10 May 2021, 12:32

I’m sure the EX team have seen things in their system(s) that they can improve or want to expand upon. But according to Maj Aaron Eshkenazi, the jet and its systems is performing very well including integration with 4th & 5th gen air assets and operating in a complex A2/AD airspace. To me, this is amazing given the new and advanced systems integrated into this Eagle (particularly EPAWSS) at this point, how mature it already is and the confidence to use and test it out so quickly.

I wonder how that new digital JHMCS is turning out (must be great seeing things in color). And I haven’t seen photos of it with the 2 new weapon stations being utilized yet. Maybe soon they’ll load it up to the max and further blow some people’s minds.
I'm watching...

madrat

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 May 2021, 00:02

EPAWSS is a new acronym, but it sure sounds like a progressive step more than new technology. Nothing in it sounds earth shattering. Chinese clones of the Flanker already display operational MAWS/EODAS clones and the complete integration of EW components with podded enhancements to increase their capabilities. EPAWSS just feels like something to not fall behind.

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 May 2021, 00:35

madrat wrote:EPAWSS is a new acronym, but it sure sounds like a progressive step more than new technology. Nothing in it sounds earth shattering. Chinese clones of the Flanker already display operational MAWS/EODAS clones and the complete integration of EW components with podded enhancements to increase their capabilities. EPAWSS just feels like something to not fall behind.

Which Chinese Flanker has an EODAS clone (i.e. the pilot has the ability to see 360° spherically, including looking through the plane, as well as automatic target acquisition/tracking/IFF....?)

weasel1962

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post11 May 2021, 01:56

China's flankers have been spotted with EO targeting pods.
J-16 pod.jpg

IRST is standard fit. Combined with AESA, HMS and datalinks, there is evidence of sensor management. To what extent the data is fused is unclear. 360 degrees EODAS? I don't think so but that doesn't mean they aren't going in the direction the F35 has pointed out for them.

I'd be more concerned with their level of AI enabling. Its one thing fighting 2nd rate pilots, its another fighting AI. AI is also something that applies to the F-15EX. Is computing an area China is lacking?

madrat

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post11 May 2021, 13:00

J-11 has been seen in the wild with sensors fitted to the airframe rather than on pods. J-11, J-15, and J-16 developments are all by the same design house. The Sino- Wild Weasel kits have been seen on both PLAN and PLAAF birds. The Chinese are not sitting on their thumbs.
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft