F-15EX

Military aircraft - Post cold war aircraft, including for example B-2, Gripen, F-18E/F Super Hornet, Rafale, and Typhoon.
  • Author

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post29 Apr 2021, 18:15

F-15E-loadout-from-below-2.jpg
The aim of the revised loadout configuration is not to put more bombs on targets but to bring larger quantities of smart munitions to deployed locations as part of the Agile Combat Employment initiative, or ACE, which seeks to enhance its independence from well-established airfields, which are increasingly held at risk by potential foes.
“These F-15Es are carrying what is called a ‘tac-ferry’ loadout,” explained Lieutenant Colonel Curtis Culver, 494th EFS Director of Operations. “What that means is we can maneuver using Agile Combat Employment, and be postured to go forward from a main operating base. This is the next step for the Air Force in Agile Combat Employment.”
The concept of loading up an F-15E with extra weapons that can rapidly be delivered to forward bases was showcased in a proof-of-concept by the 85th Test and Evaluation Squadron (TES), the “Skulls,” part of the 53rd Wing at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida, back in February this year.
Of course, the munitions carried by the F-15Es could also be used by other aircraft flying combat missions in the same theater, an especially useful function for the fifth-generation F-22 or F-35 stealth fighters, which typically feature much-reduced offensive weapons loads compared to the Strike Eagle.
In these kinds of scenarios, using the F-15Es to haul the weapons around is a good option, especially if they are already heading to a forward operating location. In this way, the munitions would arrive not only swiftly but in a ready-to-use configuration. Using the CFTs, or FAST packs, F-15Es could potentially carry other types of cargo, too, although there are currently no plans to develop this further that we know of. The Air Force’s latest F-15EX Eagle II will offer even better load-hauling capabilities, with a 28 percent larger payload and two more weapons stations.
In the meantime, the “bomb truck” F-15E configuration looks set to become a more regular sight wherever the Air Force’s go-to strike fighter is required.

Source: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... iddle-east
Have F110, Block 70, will travel

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post29 Apr 2021, 18:47

So... the EX is a cargo dog now...

Shouldn't the designation be changed to C-15EX? (OR at least CF-15EX?) :devil:
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post29 Apr 2021, 20:41

53rd Wing gears up for Northern Edge 21
More than 25 aircraft, and hundreds of Airmen, from across the 53rd Wing are headed to Alaska in support of Northern Edge 21, INDOPACOM’s premier bi-annual exercise designed to increase joint combat effectiveness in all spectrums of warfare, May 3-14, 2021.
Some notable test efforts include: F-15C software and IRST testing in a saturated environment; F-15E software, EPAWSS, and an advanced weapon demonstration; F-15EX operational test and first look at large force integration; F-35 advanced tactics with new software; B-52 long-range hypersonic kill chain integration; MQ-9 auto-take-off and landing and high-end fight capabilities; and U-2 communication gateway testing. Fourth- and fifth-generation integration is a key objective, and the 53rd Wing expects to discover and validate new battlefield synergies from F-15EX/F-35 integration.

Source: https://www.dvidshub.net/news/395158/53 ... rn-edge-21

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post30 Apr 2021, 03:55

Corsair1963 wrote:
Then why does the F-15EX cost more than the F-35A???

I did say the development didn't I? Also there is a thing called economy of scales. Thousands of F-35As are planned to be built and hundreds have already been built. How many F-15EX/IIs are built already and how much more are planned to be built?

There is already a different thread for hating on the F-15EX... why don't you spend your time over there.

charlielima223

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post30 Apr 2021, 04:08

mixelflick wrote:Several years ago, an F-15C driver told me "the radar we fly with has great range, even better than the F-22", motioning to an F-22 sitting just yards away. I said, "really... I would have expected it was the other way around". He said, "Yep we have more room for a bigger radar..". Now, I'm assuming he was talking about the AN/APG-63(v3). And I'm also assuming the F-15C that recently scored "the longest range air to air missile kill" was also flying with it.

Do you remember how long ago that was? I am guessing that was before the F-22 got its APG-77v1. By all available public data the APG-63 and APG-77 are very comparable in size.

wrightwing

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Apr 2021, 05:23

charlielima223 wrote:
mixelflick wrote:Several years ago, an F-15C driver told me "the radar we fly with has great range, even better than the F-22", motioning to an F-22 sitting just yards away. I said, "really... I would have expected it was the other way around". He said, "Yep we have more room for a bigger radar..". Now, I'm assuming he was talking about the AN/APG-63(v3). And I'm also assuming the F-15C that recently scored "the longest range air to air missile kill" was also flying with it.

Do you remember how long ago that was? I am guessing that was before the F-22 got its APG-77v1. By all available public data the APG-63 and APG-77 are very comparable in size.

Those T/R module counts are a bit off the F-15 and F-22 are closer to 2000 modules, the F-35 is closer to 1500 modules. The F-16 and F-18 are off a bit, too.

hornetfinn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Apr 2021, 07:37

wrightwing wrote:Those T/R module counts are a bit off the F-15 and F-22 are closer to 2000 modules, the F-35 is closer to 1500 modules. The F-16 and F-18 are off a bit, too.

True, but it seems like the relative sizes are close to correct. All seem to be about 20-25 percent too low in count. I think APG-80 count is likely a bit too high comparatively though but likely closest to real value though.

hornetfinn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Apr 2021, 08:30

charlielima223 wrote:

Agreed. APG-77 and APG-82 seem to be so close in size that I think a pilot could not see any real range performance difference because of that.

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post30 Apr 2021, 14:06

hornetfinn wrote:
charlielima223 wrote:

Agreed. APG-77 and APG-82 seem to be so close in size that I think a pilot could not see any real range performance difference because of that.

Great, thanks for letting me know..

The airshow I''m referencing was in 2017 at Barnes ANG base, Westfield MA. So yes, several years ago.. We've had F-15's flying from Barnes since 2007, I think so there were plenty on the ground/in the air. Hard to believe it's been well over a decade. Hopefully we get the F-15EX but that's still up in the air from what I've found online..
Last edited by mixelflick on 30 Apr 2021, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post30 Apr 2021, 14:10

steve2267 wrote:So... the EX is a cargo dog now...

Shouldn't the designation be changed to C-15EX? (OR at least CF-15EX?) :devil:

Hahaha...yeah crazy. The Mud hen is like a UPS truck, delivering bombs..

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post30 Apr 2021, 14:11

Where's my order?? Got tracking???
F-15Es that deployed to the Middle East on April 25 proved their ability to move bombs in a “tactical ferry mission” just two months after the concept was originally tested.
“The Strike Eagle can now carry enough JDAMs for an active combat mission, land at a remote location, and reload itself and/or another aircraft—such as an F-35 or F-22—for additional combat sorties,” 85th TES Commander Lt. Col. Jacob Lindaman said in the release.

Not all of the JDAMs can be dropped in a single mission. However, carrying this many bombs previously required two C-130s to carry the munitions and personnel, who then had to assemble them. The new concept means just one C-130 would be needed for personnel, and the bombs would already be built.

Source: https://www.airforcemag.com/deployed-f- ... rry-bombs/

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post30 Apr 2021, 14:59

I am waiting with baited breath how they are going to strap an MHU-83D/E or MJ-1C to the underside of the Cargo Hen.

Seems an awful expensive way to haul bombs to a FARP when a C-130 has to land there anyway. ARF is right out, unless Boing can figure a way to hang a boom under the Cargo Hen. (Fat Hen?) I suppose you can slap CFT's, and hang 3 EFT's (make 'em bigger too!), and have that Fat Chic fly gas into the FARP. Offload the gas into a rubber fuel bladder (flown in by a C-130).
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post01 May 2021, 17:55

steve2267 wrote:I am waiting with baited breath how they are going to strap an MHU-83D/E or MJ-1C to the underside of the Cargo Hen.

Seems an awful expensive way to haul bombs to a FARP when a C-130 has to land there anyway. ARF is right out, unless Boing can figure a way to hang a boom under the Cargo Hen. (Fat Hen?) I suppose you can slap CFT's, and hang 3 EFT's (make 'em bigger too!), and have that Fat Chic fly gas into the FARP. Offload the gas into a rubber fuel bladder (flown in by a C-130).

Everything you're describing the Super Duper Hornet can already do. There's even a rumored AWACS version, the so called "Hawkeye" Hornet. Don't be surprised to see that plus a few more iterations before Boeing closes the assembly line..

jetblast16

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post06 May 2021, 14:00

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/6630858/ ... thern-edge

Interesting to see a GiB (Weapon Systems Operator or Officer) in the back seat.

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post06 May 2021, 15:47

jetblast16 wrote:https://www.dvidshub.net/image/6630858/f-15exs-f-35s-northern-edge

Interesting to see a GiB (Weapon Systems Operator or Officer) in the back seat.

Question if I may: If the GIB isn't there/not needed for a particular mission, what else can they store in his place? Nothing?? Some extra E/W gear or the like?

Personally, I think that back seat is going to see a lot of use..
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Military Aircraft