F-22 PMFD radar symbology

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by hornetfinn » 29 May 2020, 07:36

I agree that we can't really make any real conclusions from these pictures or even videos. These are definitely mere representations and are not accurate. We also have no idea how these are used. I can see many different ways these could be used and show information. It might also be that we only see parts of what the real F-35 shows for the pilot (rather likely). Modern AESA tech is very flexible and versatile and operation is mostly done with software. So we might see only one way and the real system could have dozens of ways to show information.

by ablanator » 21 Aug 2022, 18:59

I am guessing, but I don’t think that is the radar coverage. I think it is the envelope for missile shots.

The reason why I say this is because of the blue circles that are labeled 40, 80, 120. If those are range figures, then it is too small for the Raptor’s radar. But if those are ranges for AMRAAM then it makes sense. Also, the ranges would be different for HOBS and for longer range shots. Thus the weird arrow shape of the envelope.

But I am just guessing.

by BDF » 25 Aug 2022, 22:16

ablanator wrote:I am guessing, but I don’t think that is the radar coverage. I think it is the envelope for missile shots.

The reason why I say this is because of the blue circles that are labeled 40, 80, 120. If those are range figures, then it is too small for the Raptor’s radar. But if those are ranges for AMRAAM then it makes sense. Also, the ranges would be different for HOBS and for longer range shots. Thus the weird arrow shape of the envelope.

But I am just guessing.

Nah those are definitely radar search volumes. Missile envelopes are displayed on the attack display which is the right hand MFD. The software that that company is selling is unclassified representation of the Increment 3 build and thus actual ranges are not representative of actual capabilities. I'm fairly sure that the pilot can select different volumes and perhaps even move the long range search volume to different bearings.
When it comes to fighting Raptors, "We die wholesale..."

Previous