AN/AAR-56 developer

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

by icyplanetnhc » 19 May 2019, 15:49

Currently, Lockheed Martin is the owner of the AAR-56 missile launch detector, due to all the mergers and acquisitions over the course of the F-22 program. Which company (or companies) was the original developer of this system?

For example:

APG-77 - Westinghouse/Texas Instruments
ALR-94 - Sanders/General Electric
CIP - Hughes Electronics

Who originally developed the AAR-56?

by fbw » 19 May 2019, 18:15

icyplanetnhc wrote:Currently, Lockheed Martin is the owner of the AAR-56 missile launch detector, due to all the mergers and acquisitions over the course of the F-22 program. Which company (or companies) was the original developer of this system?

For example:

APG-77 - Westinghouse/Texas Instruments
ALR-94 - Sanders/General Electric
CIP - Hughes Electronics

Who originally developed the AAR-56?

Think L-M was the prime with lightworks optics as a sub on the lens.

by icyplanetnhc » 19 May 2019, 18:20

fbw wrote:Think L-M was the prime with lightworks optics as a sub on the lens.

The Lockheed merger with Martin Marietta occurred in 1995, well after Dem/Val and into EMD. That's why I'm asking who the original developer was that Lockheed Martin would inherit the AAR-56 from.

by fbw » 19 May 2019, 18:46

Sanders was purchased by Lockheed in 1986. The company that developed the AN/AAR-56 was Lockheed-Sanders, a subsidiary of Lockheed, later sold off to BAE North America.

So, basically Lockheed (or what was L-M by the time F-22’s were being built).

by icyplanetnhc » 19 May 2019, 19:26

fbw wrote:Sanders was purchased by Lockheed in 1986. The company that developed the AN/AAR-56 was Lockheed-Sanders, a subsidiary of Lockheed, later sold off to BAE North America.

So, basically Lockheed (or what was L-M by the time F-22’s were being built).

I'm not sure that it's Sanders. I believe Sanders was the primary developer of the ALR-94, which is now under BAE North America. On the other hand, the AAR-56 is still listed as under Lockheed Martin, which leads me to believe that the ALR-94 developers are distinct from the AAR-56 developers. Over on Secret Projects, someone suggested that it's Martin Marietta for the AAR-56, but I would like some kind of confirmation.

by fbw » 19 May 2019, 20:51

Sanders didn’t exist as an independent company by “86. Some of the 90’s info on sites refers to Sanders-Lockheed AN/AAR-56. Lockheed was a supplier of EI/IR systems. The AN/AAS-42 for example. Did Martin Marietta even have an IR/EO portfolio prior to merger?

When Lockheed sold off the former Sanders part Of (whatever it was called Lockheed Martin electrical systems or something in 2000) they kept the IR/EO portfolio.

My guess according to the above (an info from subcontractor mentioned in first post, that were former Lockheed employees and were contracted for the AN/AAR-56 in late 80’s) was Lockheed’s existing optics business was combined with Sanders after acquisition in ‘86 into one subsidiary until 2000 when BAE bought the portion that was Sanders (primarily EW systems).

Anyway, all points to Lockheed being the developer. If you find anything that supports or contradicts, I’d be interested.

by icyplanetnhc » 20 May 2019, 17:37

fbw wrote:Sanders didn’t exist as an independent company by “86. Some of the 90’s info on sites refers to Sanders-Lockheed AN/AAR-56. Lockheed was a supplier of EI/IR systems. The AN/AAS-42 for example. Did Martin Marietta even have an IR/EO portfolio prior to merger?

When Lockheed sold off the former Sanders part Of (whatever it was called Lockheed Martin electrical systems or something in 2000) they kept the IR/EO portfolio.

My guess according to the above (an info from subcontractor mentioned in first post, that were former Lockheed employees and were contracted for the AN/AAR-56 in late 80’s) was Lockheed’s existing optics business was combined with Sanders after acquisition in ‘86 into one subsidiary until 2000 when BAE bought the portion that was Sanders (primarily EW systems).

Anyway, all points to Lockheed being the developer. If you find anything that supports or contradicts, I’d be interested.

Do you have a source stating that Lockheed-Sanders was responsible for the AAR-56? I would be interested. I couldn't find anything in F-22 Raptor: Origins of the 21st Century Air Dominance Fighter, and the only reference to Lockheed-Sanders in that book is that their electronic combat system was tested in Lockheed's avionics flight laboratory, and I believe this was referring to the ALR-94.

by icyplanetnhc » 22 Oct 2019, 14:07

fbw wrote:Sanders didn’t exist as an independent company by “86. Some of the 90’s info on sites refers to Sanders-Lockheed AN/AAR-56. Lockheed was a supplier of EI/IR systems. The AN/AAS-42 for example. Did Martin Marietta even have an IR/EO portfolio prior to merger?

To resurrect this discussion, I believe Lockheed Sanders developed the ALR-94. Martin Marietta did in fact have an IR/EO portfolio, as they were the original makers of the LANTIRN (AAS-13 and AAS-14). I find it more likely that Martin Marietta made the AAR-56 and Lockheed Martin inherited it after the merger.

by icyplanetnhc » 19 Sep 2021, 02:24

I believe I’ve found evidence that Martin Marietta was the original contractor of the AAR-56. An older article covering the F-22 mission systems stated that the MLD was from Lockheed Martin’s Missiles and Fire Control division in Orlando,FL, which corresponds with Martin Marietta’s Electronics & Missiles Group prior to the company’s merger with Lockheed in 1995.
Attachments
AVIlockheed2j.pdf
(772.76 KiB) Downloaded 718 times