F-22 Raptor needs HMCS to take full advantage of AIM-9x

Anything goes, as long as it is about the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

by linkomart » 01 Feb 2013, 10:11

From Flight global:

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/20 ... im-9x.html

From the link:
Even after the US Air Force's fleet of Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor air superiority fighters starts receiving full Raytheon AIM-9X Sidewinder high off-boresight missle capability in 2017, the aircraft needs a helmet-mounted cueing system (HMCS) to use the weapon to its full potential. That is even taking into account the AIM-9X Block I and Block II's helmetless high off-boresight (HHOBS) capability.

"Without a helmet, that means the missile will need a very tight cue from somewhere," one F-22 pilot says. "[That's] something that is not always available in a dynamic, turning environment."

Helmet sight is IMHO one of the best and most neglected tools in a dogfight. If you have a hobs missile, of course.

My 5 cent

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by munny » 01 Feb 2013, 14:23

Wrong forum and around 4 days late

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 01 Feb 2013, 15:09

This isn't really news to me, but it's nice to see-

At longer ranges, the Block II AIM-9X, especially, will be a huge improvement for the Raptor. "LOAL [Lock-on after Launch] is great for the longer range shots, which will be nice as it basically gives us an additional two BVR [beyond visual range] weapons," the pilot says.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 02 Feb 2013, 00:04

wrightwing wrote:This isn't really news to me, but it's nice to see-

At longer ranges, the Block II AIM-9X, especially, will be a huge improvement for the Raptor. "LOAL [Lock-on after Launch] is great for the longer range shots, which will be nice as it basically gives us an additional two BVR [beyond visual range] weapons," the pilot says.

With clipped fins, is it possible that they could fit two of them in each bay?
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

by linkomart » 02 Feb 2013, 16:21

count_to_10 wrote:With clipped fins, is it possible that they could fit two of them in each bay?

I doubt that, It's not just to throw a missile in and close the door, you need to have a launcher rail, blast deflector, you need clearance between the missiles, and between the missiles and the structure.
But I have not seen the F-22 in person, so it is plausible that I'm wrong....

my 5 cent
Last edited by linkomart on 02 Feb 2013, 19:23, edited 2 times in total.

Elite 4K
Elite 4K

by wrightwing » 02 Feb 2013, 18:43

I seriously doubt there's room for 2 per bay, clipped wings or not.

Banned

by mcraptor » 05 Feb 2013, 21:49

Author is obviously a little high on drugs with the last statement:

The huge advantage offered by such a high off-boresight missile in combination with a HMCS may give a third or fourth-generation fighter a decided edge over the fifth-generation Raptor (with AIM-9Ms) in a visual range encounter.

Banned

by pfo » 05 Feb 2013, 22:45

linkomart wrote:From Flight global:

From the link:

The huge advantage offered by such a high off-boresight missile in combination with a HMCS may give a third or fourth-generation fighter a decided edge over the fifth-generation Raptor (with AIM-9Ms) in a visual range encounter.

Even third-generation? So even Mig 21 Bison (HMCS, AA-11) or Mig 21 Lancer (HMCS, Python-5) are dangerous for F-22 in WVR?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by discofishing » 05 Feb 2013, 23:30

"F-22 Raptor needs HMCS to take full advantage of AIM-9X"

The JHMCS or the Scorpion? I think the Scorpion is better.

Banned

by mcraptor » 06 Feb 2013, 17:11

pfo wrote:

From the link:

Even third-generation? So even Mig 21 Bison (HMCS, AA-11) or Mig 21 Lancer (HMCS, Python-5) are dangerous for F-22 in WVR?

Yeah. It best watch out for those Mirages before it get its HMCS. :lol: :lol:

F-16.net Moderator
F-16.net Moderator

by Scorpion1alpha » 07 Feb 2013, 00:22

pfo wrote:

From the link:

That article's "journalist" should have explained things better.

Although 3rd & 4th Gen fighters are outclassed by the F-22, any fighter armed with a helmet (or even some type of archaic sighting or cueing system) and a HOBS missile gives them a credible capability that can help them even the odds better at BFM. That's why you never underestimate anyone, no matter what they're flying.

For example, that means if an F-22 is up against an upgraded MiG-21 with a helmet and R-73 (AA-11) Archers and for some reason has to go to the merge (unlikely as the F-22 driver will dictate and decide if he wants this to happen or not), the F-22 will be all over the Bison. However, the F-22 driver will have to be very aware of both aircraft's positioning to be sure not to get within the Archer's WEZ.
I'm watching...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by sketch22 » 07 Feb 2013, 08:20

linkomart wrote:
count_to_10 wrote:With clipped fins, is it possible that they could fit two of them in each bay?

I doubt that, It's not just to throw a missile in and close the door, you need to have a launcher rail, blast deflector, you need clearance between the missiles, and between the missiles and the structure.
But I have not seen the F-22 in person, so it is plausible that I'm wrong....

my 5 cent

Good points, but having seen an open side weapons bay up close (actually looking up inside it) I can say that there is room for two 9X's but it would require a drastic refit of all the components in them. If you look inside the bay you'll notice that behind the launch rail are practically hundreds of wires, small components boxes, and structural parts that would have to be moved around.

That being said, from what I've seen I would bet that with a highly modified dual launch rail it could be possible.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 08 Feb 2013, 01:57

That being said, from what I've seen I would bet that with a highly modified dual launch rail it could be possible.

More or less of what I was thinking.
Though, by the time you do that, there may be an ejection compatible sidewinder.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by southernphantom » 10 Feb 2013, 22:34

mcraptor wrote:Author is obviously a little high on drugs with the last statement:

Well, an F-4E AUP is not too shabby; though technically a third-generation fighter, it is probably a 4 to 4+ generation in terms of capability.

RUN!!! It's a Super Entendard!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by munny » 11 Feb 2013, 03:25

pfo wrote:Even third-generation? So even Mig 21 Bison (HMCS, AA-11) or Mig 21 Lancer (HMCS, Python-5) are dangerous for F-22 in WVR?

I think I read it on the Raytheon site in relation to the AIM-9X, but they said that an aircraft with a helmet mounted sight will defeat a similar aircraft without the helmet by a ratio of 50:1 in WVR dogfighting, surely this would bring less advanced aircraft within range of being a threat in a dogfight.

The idea is to not allow them to get to that situation. The F-22 still holds all the cards at long range and also on approach to the merge.

It is currently missing a few upgrades due to there being no urgent necessity. It doesn't require an IRST as there are no enemy stealth fighters to counter.

It doesn't need the side looking cheek arrays as there are no enemy stealth fighters and there's no threat that requires the F-22 to greatly reduce enemy a-pole range while it provides mid-course guidance to its shots.

It doesn't urgently require the helmet because currently there is no other aircraft fast enough and with good enough sensors that can force the F-22 into a close range fight (orders during exercises don't count).

Next