Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

alloycowboy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post18 Oct 2021, 19:27

quicksilver wrote:“…like it's little better acceleration.”

This.

Don't get that fuel fraction is a big determinant in how well any particular version of the F-35 is going to turn and accelerate which is largely determined by how far you are from the runway when you start engaging in ACM.

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post18 Oct 2021, 23:24

A lucid discussion of variant acceleration performance from years ago.

https://elementsofpower.blogspot.com/20 ... 2.html?m=1

alloycowboy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post19 Oct 2021, 02:18

quicksilver wrote:A lucid discussion of variant acceleration performance from years ago.

https://elementsofpower.blogspot.com/20 ... 2.html?m=1

@quicksilver... All that chart tells you is that if your flying an F-35B or F-35C, you need to use the SR-71 technique and dive through the transonic drag zone to save time and fuel if you want to go supersonic.

The only time you need to go that fast in an F-3B or F-35C is if you are trying to catch a cruise missile.

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post19 Oct 2021, 02:36

Operating weight empty.

Am sure the rest will be beneficial for your general understanding of variant differences.

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post20 Oct 2021, 03:03

alloycowboy wrote:
quicksilver wrote:“…like it's little better acceleration.”

This.

Don't get that fuel fraction is a big determinant in how well any particular version of the F-35 is going to turn and accelerate which is largely determined by how far you are from the runway when you start engaging in ACM.

It's also going to be a different story if A2A tactics involves maintaining a high-radius from the known hostiles, and remaining VLO, rather than needlessly burning fuel and taking heroic risks in close for no good reason. The fuel and speed of the aircraft needed to obtain the effects, can be managed like no fighter before it.

The aircraft can do it. But can the pilot get it done without being seen? THAT ... is a 'stealth' fighting.

If not, they're the wrong pilot, with the wrong training.........................................in the right jet.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

quicksilver

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post20 Oct 2021, 03:23

Fair points, but not what was asked. And, obtw, bfm training is still conducted…daily…as we debate which dog is bigger than which and ponder hypothetical futures.

My bet us the guys flying them will figure it all out long before we do.

:wink:

element1loop

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post20 Oct 2021, 08:51

:thumb:

I'm betting they do too.
Accel + Alt + VLO + DAS + MDF + Radial Distance = LIFE . . . Always choose Stealth

garrya

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post14 May 2022, 03:16

35_aoa wrote:
quicksilver wrote:
35_aoa wrote:FWIW I'd say there is a strong likelihood that the guy in the article is talking about Hornet v F-35, rather than Super Hornet as the article initially states.

:poke:

Interesting that you felt the need to point that out. Did that hit you in the ribs or…where?

:wink:

Nope, I have plenty of hours/years flying both (as well as *I think* every production lot of the F/A-18A-F and EA-18G). Point being that the Hornet and Block 2 Super Hornet are very different beasts. Almost no comparison in terms of capabilities. It was more of a "point of order" than anything, but saying the F-35C is way better than the F/A-18A+/C isn't exactly telling in terms of the more relevant comparison between flying the F/A-18E/F and the F-35C. Flew with the F-35C a decent amount before I left active duty, and it is a very impressive aircraft, so no, I am not offended by someone saying that it is an improvement either.

There are something I want to ask.
From the F-18E/F manual, it has frequency selective bulkhead which can be installed in war time to reduce RCS. So do you guys just have a bunch of aircraft FSS radome lying around in the storage waiting to be installed?. Or those things are filter and kits to put inside the radome?. Also I heard that the radome of F-35 is welded into their body, and thus can't be open at all? Is that true
DE6F1036-8FC0-4397-BE8F-EE9ECEF0B280.png

42AE4E68-E37D-40B3-8CDD-ECBEA2A33CED.png
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum