More F-35's for RAAF?

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 24 Jul 2020, 08:40

spazsinbad wrote:
weasel1962 wrote:I like these posers. Australian harrier pilot serving on an British carrier...
&
"...RAAF F-18 pilots are carrier qualified yet no one is arguing they were bought for operations onboard other carriers...."

What are you referring to here? Where is the reference to this statement which needs context. Are you indicating the past or present. Without any other information or URL your statements are just silly. So how about some more details. Thanks.

No answer to my questions above. What is this above statement by 'weasel1962' about? Buehler? Anyone? I'll state plainly:
RAAF F-18 pilots are NOT carrier qualified (that would be one reason why the USN/France does not want them onboard).

RAAF Legacy Hornets were made carrier inoperable from the getgo - mentioned a few times on this forum IIRC.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 24 Jul 2020, 09:21

Even Swiss and Finnish hornet pilots have landed hornets on CVNs. Now how did that happen. More posers....

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 24 Jul 2020, 09:25

I'm not interested in what other than RAAF Legacy Hornet Pilots are capable. Perhaps in the distant past an exchange RAAF pilot or two did carrier qualify in their initial USN training (I think BINSKIN [A4G qualled] was one such) but there after when usual RAAF Legacy Hornet training in Australia there was no such carqual. So one or two RAAF pilots carqualled does NOT make the RAAF Legacy Hornet pilots carrier qualified. CAPICE? What is your deal with 'posers'. Jealous much?

Now what is the deal about 'Australian Harrier Pilots'. I can tell you lots but I want to hear what you are talking about 1st.

Good change of topic with the Finny & Swissy PIlot - not related to the 'RAAF Carrier Qualified' though. HUH? FLY NAVY .

by eagle3000 » 24 Jul 2020, 20:11

weasel1962 wrote:Even Swiss and Finnish hornet pilots have landed hornets on CVNs. Now how did that happen. More posers....

One exchange pilot does not make pilots (plural!) carrier qualified in general.

Australian, Swiss or Finnish Hornet pilots are not carried qualified. Except the odd exchange pilot that has been qualified at some point.
Or can you provide a source that explains the training programs of those countries? Because they would have to send all the pilots to the US.
Swiss pilots certainly, and for the others I'm fairly certain as well, do all their training at home.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 25 Jul 2020, 00:57

Thank you for making my point. I said to the QEs have space for Aussie Bs. Somebody reads it to mean Australia has to buy Bees for the Brits. I state Aussie pilots are carrier qualified, someone adds the word "All" to pilots being carrier qualified, even though I never said it.

Wouldn't it be strange that ALL pilots are carrier qualified when the country doesn't have a carrier? and yes, there is more than one Aussie pilot that's carrier qualified so grammatically, I need to say "pilot" and not "pilots"? That's beyond an*l. Chill.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 25 Jul 2020, 01:27

weasel1962 wrote:Thank you for making my point. I said to the QEs have space for Aussie Bs. Somebody reads it to mean Australia has to buy Bees for the Brits. I state Aussie pilots are carrier qualified, someone adds the word "All" to pilots being carrier qualified, even though I never said it.

Wouldn't it be strange that ALL pilots are carrier qualified when the country doesn't have a carrier? and yes, there is more than one Aussie pilot that's carrier qualified so grammatically, I need to say "pilot" and not "pilots"? That's beyond an*l. Chill.

I had a look & nobody said "ALL blah blah blah". Yes you need to explain the Aussie Harrier Poser Pilot comment. Thanks.
weasel1962 wrote: I like these posers. Australian harrier pilot serving on an British carrier...

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 01 Sep 2020, 01:42

spazsinbad wrote:
weasel1962 wrote:I like these posers. Australian harrier pilot serving on an British carrier...

What are you referring to here? Where is the reference to this statement which needs context. Are you indicating the past or present. Without any other information or URL your statements are just silly. So how about some more details. Thanks.

No reply or more info 'weasel1962' about what 'posers' from Oz are serving on British Carriers? Perhaps this will fill you in?
Where Are They Now – Andrew Davis
Sep 2020 A. Davis via FAAAA webmaster

[FAAAA webmaster] "Andrew “Mum” Davis tells us [dear readers] the following:
“As background, I was ex-Tracker and exchanged to RN in 1984 with the demise of fixed wing in Australia. I’m most proud of being the second last guy to trap on Melbourne in ‘82. Snapper McKean landed on 20 seconds after me - and while I’ve never forgiven him for that I did get his hook point on a plinth as a presentation.

The idea of the exchange was four of us pilots and four observers would do a helicopter conversion and then a front line tour. I did Sea Kings and went front-line on 820 NAS. With no useful job back in the RAN I later transferred to the RN on a permanent basis and went through the Sea Harrier (SHAR) pipeline. Nine other [ex-RANFAA] fixed-wing pilots had already gone down that path. At one stage ex-RAN made up a third of the RN SHAR force. I served in all SHAR squadrons 800/801/899 (except 809 of course)* and ended up driving Naval Flying Standards [FW].

I was the longest stayer, only leaving the regulars in 2004. Since then I have been RN Reserve and happily jetted about in Hawks in the Maritime Strike Training role part-time until five years ago. Since then I’ve done RNR headquarters, flying supervisory and Ops jobs while playing at being an airline pilot with Virgin Atlantic. I have lived near Yeovilton for pushing on 33 years now. Now left Virgin Atlantic due to COVID, and looking for new work!

That’s me in a nutshell. Loving life in UK generally. Regards, AD.”

[FAAAA webmaster] Our readers love to hear what happened to their mates, particularly if they ‘dropped off the plot’ (to overseas or to some exotic flying / maintenance / druglord job somewhere) - so don’t be shy. Drop the webmaster a quick email here and tell us your story in a few paragraphs.

* By Ed. For those that don’t know, 809 Squadron was equipped with Sea Harriers and primarily did duties in the South Atlantic immediately after the Falklands War. The Squadron was disbanded in 1982, some time before Andrew arrived in the UK. It has recently recommissioned to be equipped with the F-35B Lightning II.

Source: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/wp-content/upl ... -Final.pdf (2.2Mb)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by XanderCrews » 01 Sep 2020, 03:10

weasel1962 wrote:. I state Aussie pilots are carrier qualified, someone adds the word "All" to pilots being carrier qualified, even though I never said it.

might be a lost in translation issue here, but bascially when you "X does Y" it sounds like its an automatically built in function.

"Marines are rifle qualified." makes it sound as if so long as someone is a Marine, they are indeed rifle qualified.

By saying "Aussie pilots are carrier qualified" it makes it sound as though they are qualified by the nature of being an Australian pilot. as opposed to SOME are carrier qualified. or have been in the past.
Choose Crews

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 01 Sep 2020, 03:30

Back in the dreamtime the RAN had a Fixed Wing/Helo Fleet Air Arm; by the early 1980s gradually the Fixed Wing Assets were disbanded / given to the RAAF or sold to Kiwis, whilst the only aircraft carrier was sold to China as scrap. Fixed wing aircrews went hither and thither. Some went to the RAAF whilst one went on to be CDF Chief of Defence Force. Some went to SHARS as noted. Some had been on exchange Harrier postings with the RN FAA/USMC so they had experience.

Still waiting for the 'poser' info.

by aussiebloke » 01 Sep 2020, 09:46

spazsinbad wrote:Still waiting for the 'poser' info.

From the context I strongly suspect Definition 1 not Definition 2.

poser noun (1)
Definition of poser (Entry 1 of 2)
: a puzzling or baffling question

poser noun (2)
Definition of poser (Entry 2 of 2)
: a person who poses

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 01 Sep 2020, 10:02

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by weasel1962 » 01 Sep 2020, 10:37

The shadow thinks some RAAF blokes are gonna fly reapers next.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by madrat » 01 Sep 2020, 12:20

spazsinbad wrote:ONLY THE SHADOW KNOWS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow or MAYBE CHICKENMAN: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenman_(radio_series)

Dick Ortin RIP. That really sparked memories of how everyone on our school bus got silent to hear each episode of Chickenman. The last great thing to come from Chicago.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 01 Sep 2020, 13:19

He's everywhere - He's everywhere - bakbakbakbaa..... CHICKENMAN!

Previous